LegacyGT.com

So, I CUT MY SPRINGS. OOOOH.

turbodog

The spring - perch connection was not affected. The spring seats perfectly well, since only a 1/4 coil was removed.

If you've ever taken apart a strut assembly you would know this. But I'm guessing you don't work on your own car.

:lol:

he's worked on his own car(s) probably longer than you've been alive.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you've ever taken apart a strut assembly you would know this. But I'm guessing you don't work on your own car.

I actually quit cutting springs on Hondas 20 years ago.;)

Anyhow, you tried to cut the springs on car, beat up the struts and then want us to believe you took time to calculate the cut? Likely you would have included some numbers with the original post knowing full well cutting springs is generally looked down on.

/unsub, not funny, just plain sad.

• Mega Users
I actually quit cutting springs on Hondas 20 years ago.;)

Anyhow, you tried to cut the springs on car, beat up the struts and then want us to believe you took time to calculate the cut? Likely you would have included some numbers with the original post knowing full well cutting springs is generally looked down on.

/unsub, not funny, just plain sad.

I disagree. It is funny.

First, attempted with struts on the car

:lol::lol::lol:

Who the hell tries to compress their springs with them still on the car? This from the guy who obviously had MAAAADDD JDM spring cutting skillz yo! :cool:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bMN6I0cshGI/TpWuvAdXKAI/AAAAAAAAAvs/7FS7IyjDHyI/s1600/a-random-funny-09r-7.jpg

Awesome post. Thanks for demonstrating how simple it actually is.

(clairification - you are talking about reducing the length of the spring by 1")

Thanks, but I was merely talking theory. The wisdom of trying altering parts that are designed to be installed in a specific configuration is another question entirely.

When you can buy a set of lowering springs specifically designed for our cars from a reputable manufacturer for only about $200 or so, why do you want to take such a chance? I would not.

I know more about the design and modification of springs than everyone in this thread, combined. Period.

No, you don't.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The solution is simple. You don't want to mess up the way the spring seats, so you need to cut from the middle and weld it back together.

Yeah that will work! Don't have to worry about hydrogen embrittlement, heat treatment or any nerdy crap like that. Only pussies worry about stuff. And if you don't have a MIG setup it is OK, you can weld it with a bunch of ground up match heads and foil just like McGuyver :lol:

Thanks, but I was merely talking theory. The wisdom of trying altering parts that are designed to be installed in a specific configuration is another question entirely.

When you can buy a set of lowering springs specifically designed for our cars from a reputable manufacturer for only about $200 or so, why do you want to take such a chance? I would not.

I think you give the mfg too much credit.

Archived