LegacyGT.com

So, I CUT MY SPRINGS. OOOOH.

turbodog

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You screwed up, just admit it and move on.

No, the truth is that the vast majority of people in car modification communities simply repeat what other people tell them, without having any sort of true understanding.

The "cut springs bad" myth started in the 90's, from what I recall. People were massively cutting springs or torching them to acheive a ~3" drop. Obviously this is not going to work well, and people identified cut springs as entirely wrong, which is far from the reality.

Truth is, if the spring will still sit properly when cut, it is very easy to calculate the new length, spring rate and drop for a certain cut. Cutting a 1/4 coil is a very minor and virtually unnoticeable change.

Pictars of the spring when finished?

Curious how you altered it to make it fit well into the seat after cutting it, since the bottom and top are formed to the perches.

Is there enough length still to stay seated when the suspension is at full droop? A lot of lowering springs suffer from jumping out of the perch from it.

Do you not notice the change in spring rate balance F/R?

Did you learn about springs.....?

So, get out your textbox, measure a subaru strut spring, and figure out what cutting a 1/4 coil off the bottom is going to do. I dare you.

It's going to cause you to hit the bump stop quicker, that's what it's going to do.

Pictars of the spring when finished?

Curious how you altered it to make it fit well into the seat after cutting it, since the bottom and top are formed to the perches.

Is there enough length still to stay seated when the suspension is at full droop? A lot of lowering springs suffer from jumping out of the perch from it.

Do you not notice the change in spring rate balance F/R?

Great questions.

- I just cut it off. There is roughtly a 3/4 coil of semi dead spring at the bottom when free. Plently to cut and still have it sit fine.

- I had to compress the spring 3" with spring compressors and a impact wrench to get the hats back on. So, yes. At full droop there is nearly a full coil seated, and it seats cleanly.

- Entirely unnoticeable, it's less than a 5% change in rate, tough to say exactly because it's basicly dead spring being cut off. So call it 0% to 5% change. If you have "dead coils" (coils that are fully compressed when on car and weighted) to cut on a progressive spring, you will not be changing the main spring rate. In this case, it is a seemingly dead coil I am shortening, so that there is really no effective change in rate, but I can't say that conclusively. If you were to shorten a fully active coil by a 1/4 coil, you would increase the rate by about 5%. Hence the estimate.

BTW, most percieved increases in spring rate from "proper lowering springs" are from the car being on the bump stops.

Archived