LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

What are your guys opinions on why many car magazines choose the 3 series(325, 328, 330, 335) as a bench mark for testing performance?

Because BMW does an incredible job at providing press cars.

All those "bench mark" cars are optioned as the top of the line model. They are all sport package equipped cars--significantly wider wheels and better tires, upgraded suspensions, unique seats and steering wheels. Generally they are manual transmissions, so they eek out the last little bit of performance.

Base 3 series cars have none of the goodies the top of the line tests cars have. I don't think anyone here would object to a 335i, but to be all hot over a 328xi? It's just not that exciting.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/all-wheel-drive-sport-sedans

Comparison to a 325 with no sports package, which are notoriously slower than 328 still matched up quite well to the spec b.

Matched up quite well? The Spec-B was 1.1 seconds faster around the auto-x course, and destroyed the BMW in most other test.

"driving excitement". Subaru = 20/20. BMW = 15.7/20

"engine". Subaru = 20/20. BMW = 14.8/20

"handling". Subaru = 19.6/20. BMW = 18.5/20

"exterior styling". Subaru = 14.5/15. BMW = 11.8/15

"interior styling". Subaru = 12.7/15. BMW = 11.6/15

The Subaru was second to the Audi by only 1.3pts, but ahead of the third place BMW by more than 14 points.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

328 lmao my buddy has one that thing is a sled with cheap leather and some orange gauges like really ? its bmw and its a 2008 still using ORANGE gauges feel like im back in the 80s. but i would say only thing i really like about the car is the stock sound system.

Really? The stock sound system in BMWs is terrible. Even the upgraded HK system is only just decent.

BMW has three levels of the sound system. Stock, HiFi and Logic 7. He probably referred to HiFi. It usually comes with premium package etc. The Logic 7 is the one with 13 speakers and optical wiring.

Does your purse have Logic7?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Does your purse have Logic7?

You know some of you starting to sound like bunch of female teenagers wining.

To your question. No Logic 7. Just HiFi. If I knew about Logic 7 at the time, I would probably looked for it. I heard its worth every penny.

*Oh by the way. I don't care about the stupid comments here.

If you had 2 cars to choose. Both for free parked next to each other. Would you get 2012 Legacy GT or 2012 BMW "328 xDrive" ?

I'm just curious, does it have the turn signal package installed or was that skimped on like most other Bmws?

I did a spit-take all over my laptop laughing at this comment!

A couple years backI was having dinner with a friend and outside the window i saw a silver 328i parked crooked,hanging the ass-end in a Handicap parking spot. My friend and I were talking about what new car I should get.

I said "I'm going to get a BMW. You know, cause I want to spend so much money I can justify 'owning' the road in a 20' radius. Turn without signaling, park like a prick, cut people off, do burn-outs, sh!t like that. You know, like a REAL BMW owner. I think there's a class, or something."

"Nice. What color are you going to get? Red? Black?"

"Nah. Soulless Silver. Like every one else in New England. Mainly cause I'm not too original, and they're the most common. So i should be able to get one cheap. I'll just say 'I can find a THOUSAND of these that some other prick owned. Why should I pay premium for THIS one?' But really, I should get the xi. you know, get SOMETHING other than a badge for my money."

at that point the guy at the table next to us slammed his fists on the table, grabbed his kids and gave me the stink-eye on the way out. He loaded his young kids into the 328i (didn't buckle them) and PEELED OUT of the spot, then whipped into highway traffic without stopping. I heard several horns, so he must have nearly caused an accident.

I'm pretty sure he was so self absorbed that he didn't even realize that he epitomized the "person" i was mocking.

FutureLegacy, Black is a good choice. It's probably my favorite on a BMW when kept up well. I'd only make fun if you got a white one. Those come with a bottle of perfume in the glove box. ;)

If you had 2 cars to choose. Both for free parked next to each other. Would you get 2012 Legacy GT or 2012 BMW "328 xDrive" ?

Given that a GT Limited is $10,000 less than a similarly equipped 328xi of the same year, (and almost everything has to be an add-on) That's a difference of $200 per month.

I'm going with the ugly-assed 2012 Legacy.

2012 Legacy GT

328xi is far too slow for me to get any enjoyment out of driving.

I said 2012 328i, which has twin turbo :rolleyes:

from motortrends

2012 BMW 328i Sport tested on 2/7/12

Turbo 2.0L I-4 and 8A with 240 hp/255 lb-ft

0-60 mph: 5.6 seconds

Quarter mile: 14.2 seconds @ 97.8 mph

Figure Eight time: 25.9 seconds @ 0.69 g

60-0 mph: 107 feet

Pounds per horsepower: 14.5

from motortrends

2012 BMW 328i Sport tested on 2/7/12

Turbo 2.0L I-4 and 8A with 240 hp/255 lb-ft

0-60 mph: 5.6 seconds

Quarter mile: 14.2 seconds @ 97.8 mph

Figure Eight time: 25.9 seconds @ 0.69 g

60-0 mph: 107 feet

Pounds per horsepower: 14.5

Didn't realize the were redesigned. Well, actually I did, I just don't care. What is the base price?

I've had a 3 series, it didn't do it for me.

Actually you said xDrive - you're wrong yet again (why are you still here fueling flames in a Legacy forum again?).

The 2012 328 xDrive Steptronic at $36600 Base MSRP, has an inline 6 with 230hp and 200lb-ft. and according to http://www.automobile-catalog.com the steptronic ran:

0-60 mph 7 sec. and 1/4 mile in 15.6 (estimated)

The 2012 LGT 6MT at $31595 Base MSRP is rated at 265hp and 258lb-ft and according to zeroto60times.com it ran:

0-60 mph 5.3 sec. and 1/4 mile in 13.9 (1/4 mile time from 2011 model)

Besides all that I'd much rather be in the Subaru if it snows (which happens here often in winter), and even though I'm a 4th-gen admirer, the 5th-gen is growing on me. The Subaru wins for me in this price category, and because it's turbo with manual transmission. Similar MPG in both but the grin factor outweighs the "taste" of luxury for me. That and I'm not a pompous ass who thinks BMW makes me better than the rest. If I want a BMW it's going to be for driving performance, not for ego stroking, and the 328xDrive fails in this category. I'd go with a 2012 M3 - of course is a whole other price point (2x) and isn't a fair comparison in the least.

Then why keep logging in?

This thread cracks me up.

It's like that argument with your gf/wife that her luxury purse is worthless.

"but the build quality is so much better! See the stitching? I can hold so much more worth this bag!"

"So can I with my backpack. With $1000 I can make my car bake harder to avoid crazy divers, get it a new turbo so we can merge onto freeways better, etc etc. what does a $1000 purse get you?"

I used to drive an e46 3 series, sold that pos and never going back for anything less than a e92 m3. Even tho it only has 361 whp =p

Then why keep logging in?

Look at his earlier posts; here is a typical one:

is this a remap? does he optimize the car for my specifically or just maps with some map?

This isn't a rocket scientist we've got here.

Speaking of earlier posts, this one's a gem:

My biggeat issue is that the bmw doesnt have nav system, has expensive maintanance.

The only features that i like in the bmw is the bluetooth system, bmw quality ride, and may be better sound system. Otherwise i am losing faster performance, my spt exhaust, paddle shifters, si drive, beautiful hood scoop and turbo sounds.

Don't even think they made an i4.. it was sohc v6, dohc v6 and twin turbo dohc v6.

Its more like buying a jeep liberty and calling it a good plow truck.

Or a scooter and saying you ride a motorcycle.

Oh you're right, it is a V6. My dad had the weakest one... it looks great and all, but you push on the gas and it's like being too drunk to get it up.

Archived