LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

Yeah, and too bad you're limited to a four-year-old LGT instead of a Boxster S and two Subarus, all bought new with cash, but that's the hand life has apparently dealt you.

Sorry, my bad.

You made some assumptions about LGT drivers, which you know nothing about, so I made some of my own. There is cheap legacy... it's called 2.5i. You have one. There is also cheap Porsche... it's called Boxster, you have one of those. too. See the pattern here...

Now, about the hand I was dealt, you made some wrong assumptions there, too.

I'll leave it at that for now.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's quite embarrassing and discomfiting to generalize the Subaru community and admit that your purchased your "sub-par" vehicles with cash. Honestly, no one cares and I can indubitably say that half this forum could have purchased your basic vehicle with cash. I'm 21, I could have purchased a 335i, but didn't for the constant maintenance upkeep. Shut up man, you sound like a retard.

If only I could afford a Boxster with straight cash.. I still wouldn't buy it. :)

Yep.

If you get a Porsche, you get a 911 Turbo. If you don't, then you either couldn't afford the Turbo or you don't care/know about cars. You want an image.

Just like the Mustang. You get the V8. If you don't, it's because you can't afford it or don't care/know about cars. You want an image.

And BMW. You get the 335/M3. If you don't, it's because you can't afford it or don't care/know about cars. You want an image.

Some brands don't fall into this paradigm. Hyundai/Kia, Subaru, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti. They make models that have reasons for getting them other than performance. They have bang-for-buck models. The 2.5i is a great example. The non-turbo Optima is, as well. The Altima 2.5, same thing. They are cars that have a huge return for the price of entry.

The 328xi, while it might be AWD, offers no bang-for-the-buck. It's a car driven by people who don't know about cars, or simply don't care about them. It's a car for people who want other people to think certain things about them. Under no circumstances, does the 328xi scream "this is the obvious choice", unless your criteria for a vehicle is so narrow that it's the only one in it's field. An Infiniti G25x would have been a better choice of vehicle, if you wanted a "luxury" vehicle and didn't care about performance or anything. At least it would have a reliable brand behind it, that is known for reasonable maintenance costs and longevity.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yep.

If you get a Porsche, you get a 911 Turbo. If you don't, then you either couldn't afford the Turbo or you don't care/know about cars. You want an image.

Just like the Mustang. You get the V8. If you don't, it's because you can't afford it or don't care/know about cars. You want an image.

And BMW. You get the 335/M3. If you don't, it's because you can't afford it or don't care/know about cars. You want an image.

Some brands don't fall into this paradigm. Hyundai/Kia, Subaru, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti. They make models that have reasons for getting them other than performance. They have bang-for-buck models. The 2.5i is a great example. The non-turbo Optima is, as well. The Altima 2.5, same thing. They are cars that have a huge return for the price of entry.

The 328xi, while it might be AWD, offers no bang-for-the-buck. It's a car driven by people who don't know about cars, or simply don't care about them. It's a car for people who want other people to think certain things about them. Under no circumstances, does the 328xi scream "this is the obvious choice", unless your criteria for a vehicle is so narrow that it's the only one in it's field. An Infiniti G25x would have been a better choice of vehicle, if you wanted a "luxury" vehicle and didn't care about performance or anything. At least it would have a reliable brand behind it, that is known for reasonable maintenance costs and longevity.

I feel like I wrote this. :)

Yep.

I feel like I wrote this. :)

Great minds think alike. I guess that's why my buddy has a S8 and a S4.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So, if the 328 is a "purse", the LGT is a "crochet bag", then is my WRX a "satchel"?

XDD

I've enjoyed this thread since it was first posted. lol

I feel like my legacy GT is a Russian codpiece (“it scares the clergy”) .

From Wikipedia...

A handbag, also purse or pouch in American English, is a handled medium-to-large bag that is often fashionably designed, typically used by women, ...

With this in mind, especially noting the size, I believe the BMW 328 is a clutch and the larger BMW 528 would be a purse.

Clutch

http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.94319327.jpg

Purse

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/34/Very_beautiful_unidentified_model_at_Mercedes-Benz_Fashion_Week_2.jpg/220px-Very_beautiful_unidentified_model_at_Mercedes-Benz_Fashion_Week_2.jpg

Another shared trait...

Both the purse and the clutch are designed to hold personal items such as wallet/coins, keys, cosmetics, hairbrush, pepper spray, cigarettes, contraceptives, mobile phone etc.

Along similar lines, you'll find that some BMW 328 owners perform the same function as pepper spray and contraceptives.

This is retarded. You can get a used camaro that costs 10K and will go 2x faster than these cars. But it will have nothing. BMW 3,5,7 series are not about performance, they are about luxury. If you want performance from BMW you get an M3. End of discussion.

Well put

• 3 months later...
8/23/12 Update: About a month ago noticed a sound from the steering wheel. Since I am covered on certified warranty, the repair was fully covered and they even re-aligned all my wheels. Cost $0, gave me a free BMW 2011 Loaner car.

Congratulations on utilizing the warranty that you paid for. Tells us what happens after the warranty again?

Sorry, my bad.

You made some assumptions about LGT drivers, which you know nothing about, so I made some of my own. There is cheap legacy... it's called 2.5i. You have one. There is also cheap Porsche... it's called Boxster, you have one of those. too. See the pattern here...

Now, about the hand I was dealt, you made some wrong assumptions there, too.

I'll leave it at that for now.

It's pretty sad that you're jealous of others who can afford what you can't.

8/23/12 Update: About a month ago noticed a sound from the steering wheel. Since I am covered on certified warranty, the repair was fully covered and they even re-aligned all my wheels. Cost $0, gave me a free BMW 2011 Loaner car.

About a month ago, I noticed I still had no problems with my Subaru. No strange noises. Didn't spend any time at the shop. Cost $0, didn't need a loaner. Drove the piss out of it again and enjoyed it again, just like the day before, and the day after.

p.s. - since I had no need to visit the stealership, the stealership had no need to screw the factory by billing for an unnecessary alignment, and hence didn't artificially inflate the cost of the entire line of automobiles.

Why is this in the 4th gen Legacy subforum?

I think your goal is clear in your first sentence, you "really want a BMW brand". I suspect you mean that other people don't see your Legacy as being cooler than a Civic, and that bothers you.

If he thinks that, he's wrong. I bought mine 3 months ago and have gotten nothing but compliments left and right on it..."looks like a BMW/Audi"..."love this car"..."this is a ******* nice car, man"...and on and on from men and women, ranging in age from mid-20s to baby boomers. It's a handsome, reserved, good looking ride. On the drive back on the highway from buying it, I actually noticed a guy in a Mercedes pass me on my right, then slow down until he was even with my car clearly looking out his window at the front of it trying to see what it was.

There's no sense in buying a *used* BMW. The reason that mid to late 2000s BMWs are so much cheaper than their original price tags is because most people who buy BMWs and trade them in after only 4-5 years don't give a shit about cars and don't take good enough care of them, and the future repairs that are inevitable in those things cost an arm and a leg for even basic crap. I looked at this exact model, along with similar Audi A3s and A4 quattro's before deciding on the LGT- the estimated annual repair costs of the former were north of $2000, the GT was about $800 or so, and the depreciation rate between the two was noticeably worse as well.

If you want a BMW, save money/wait until you can afford a new one that you can baby. The 3 series is a great driver's car, but buying them used is a real dice roll. If I ever have a BMW or Audi, it'll be a lease.

^ Yea....pretty much what he said. Don't get me wrong, I love BMW's but have never owned one. I'm on my 2nd LGT and I'm in love with the car,(though I wish I could get a full blk intirior swap). Both were modded for my taste & a couple of personal aesthetic touches as well. Great car, way more bang for ur $$$$ !

I used to be a Bimmer enthusiast with an E34.

Nowadays they're just for image. They're not good at much, not even their new 4cyl "more efficient" motor is good. Who would pay 45+ grand for an 18MPG 4cyl?

If you like it, buy it. There shouldn't be questions about what you like but if people want to pay that money for something that has equally, if not better, competitors then let them.

If you want a BMW, save money/wait until you can afford a new one that you can baby. The 3 series is a great driver's car, but buying them used is a real dice roll. If I ever have a BMW or Audi, it'll be a lease.

Agreed. IMO, if you need to pick up a late model or high mileage luxury car to get it into your budget, you shouldn't be buying one.

I'd say demos are fine, but anything over the original bumper to bumper isn't worth the possible future headaches.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Archived