LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

Yeah, 100 extra horsepower is nothing. Same thing with the larger brakes, 18" wheels and summer tires.

Yea, but they look the same.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my grandmother and grandfather actually own and drive a "Subaru" with a H6 that's TT'd. It's a real grocery getter, almost like BAC's XT-B. However I like to call it a 997.

All this talk about BMW vs Legacy is pointless.

BMW is the equivalent of Apple. --->Food for thought.

The OP is excited about his purchase/investment and wanted to share it. He/she also should know that if he/she is really enthusiastic and proud with his/her purchase then he/she shouldn't need to defend/justify it. (he/she lulz)

I'm not trying to say that BMW is a horrible car or that the product they are producing is absolute crap, I'm simply stating that some have money that they spend wisely, and some have money that they spend simply because they have it.

p.s.

I still miss my Grandma GT. <3 =D

BMW's are awesome cars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy my wife a 328 or 330, so long as we buy it new and ditch it before 50k or the warranty runs out.

For me, I wouldn't waste my time on one of the secretary models. If I'm buying a BMW, it's going to have an M in the model nomenclature. And at those price levels, there are other cars it'd be fighting, and I'm not sure the BMW would win.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

BMW's are awesome cars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy my wife a 328 or 330, so long as we buy it new and ditch it before 50k or the warranty runs out.

For me, I wouldn't waste my time on one of the secretary models. If I'm buying a BMW, it's going to have an M in the model nomenclature. And at those price levels, there are other cars it'd be fighting, and I'm not sure the BMW would win.

I seriously considered getting a 328i wagon to replace my Legacy (we only have one car and it would be driven mostly by my wife). Then I started looking at what I was, and more importantly, wasn't getting for my money. There is just no other way to say it other than it was a complete rip off. An X3 would be MUCH less expensive and much easier to find new or used. Sad. I can get 9/10ths of the 328i in a GTI for about 2/3 the price and it would be new and not used. That roundel is an expensive "feature."

I seriously considered getting a 328i wagon to replace my Legacy (we only have one car and it would be driven mostly by my wife). Then I started looking at what I was, and more importantly, wasn't getting for my money. There is just no other way to say it other than it was a complete rip off. An X3 would be MUCH less expensive and much easier to find new or used. Sad. I can get 9/10ths of the 328i in a GTI for about 2/3 the price and it would be new and not used. That roundel is an expensive "feature."

If this is a thread about BMW 3-series looks and performance vs. Legacy, that's one thing. To my mind, Bimmer wins every time. The 5-series I owned for 9 years is still one of the best cars I've ever had. The five-speed in that car was like butter. I recently tracked it down with the VIN number and the second owner still has it looking good and running fine with about 276K miles on it.

If it's about value, well, there's no contest. Legacy wins, hands down. We thought about a 328 wagon for my wife, but I'm sure glad we went with the Outback. I don't see a whole lot of difference between 5th gen Legacy interior and current 3-series. In fact, the Legacy has more rear seat room and real leather, as opposed to the Bimmer's standard vinyl. And I love taking my Subies to the dealer, where there's no capuccino machine, no BS and no unnecessary charges. It's a real breath of fresh air compared to the luxo brands.

I hear you somewhat on the cost of the badge. I've always said that my Boxster -- $60K new -- is a very nice $40K roadster. The other $20K is for the badge, the privilege of paying through the nose for parts and service, and for an engine that's of questionable build quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, if only there had been some way to have anticipated the financial hit......sigh.

Please post an update to this thread every 3 months. Let us know if your assessment of the car (and its value to you) changes when the "look I've got a BMW now!" wears off.

Thanks for the update, if only there had been some way to have anticipated the financial hit......sigh.

Please post an update to this thread every 3 months. Let us know if your assessment of the car (and its value to you) changes when the "look I've got a BMW now!" wears off.

Most people who drive BMWs like to drive BMWs.. nothing to do the with "I got a BMW"

Most people who drive BMWs like to drive BMWs.. nothing to do the with "I got a BMW"

That's a load of crap, and you know it.

Swap that blue and white roundel with a KIA badge, and ownership would drop a ton.

It's not even close to most...more like a few.

I have a buddy who drives a 2004 bmw, you think he drives because it is just a bmw? When my car will be 8 years old, you think I will give a $hit... the car is already 4+ years old... you people are pathetic.

I have a buddy who drives a 2004 bmw, you think he drives because it is just a bmw? When my car will be 8 years old, you think I will give a $hit... the car is already 4+ years old... you people are pathetic.

I guess all those people I see around town driving old Cobalts must really love driving Cobalts. How does how old a car someone drives is have anything to do with why a person drives said car? And just so we are clear, an 8 year old car is not "old."

The BMW is hand's down a better driving car than any Subaru will ever be. It's designed to be and that level of engineering is what you pay for. That "driveability" comes with greater expense & upkeep and even with the best maintenance no BMW will ever outlast a Subaru. If you can handle that you made a good choice.

The BMW is hand's down a better driving car than any Subaru will ever be. It's designed to be and that level of engineering is what you pay for. That "driveability" comes with greater expense & upkeep and even with the best maintenance no BMW will ever outlast a Subaru. If you can handle that you made a good choice.

A 328xi with the standard suspension and 205/5516s <> drivers car

Exactly. We need to be clear that we are not talking about M series or even a 135i/335i. This is a 328xi with an automatic and standard suspension. It's the secretary special BMW.

this

and to op calling the lgt a granny car, so is his...just with a bmw emblem.

this

and to op calling the lgt a granny car, so is his...just with a bmw emblem.

I don't think it was the OP who called it a grandma car. It was probably me. The difference is that I don't rant jealously about the OP's choice of a BMW. I'm happy for him if that's what he wants to drive. BMWs are good cars, yes, even the 328 "secretary" models, as people call them. And I'm not so hypocritical that I have to take swipes at his BMW while my garage holds a rather ordinary looking -- and handling -- Legacy.

Yesterday, I saw another gray-haired old lady hobble out of the drugstore to her -- you guessed it -- 10-year-old Legacy. Let's face it. Subaru has designed some pretty ordinary-looking cars and I think it takes a lot of chutzpah to stand there, owning one of these lumps, and then criticize the looks of a BMW. Go out and buy a Ferrari and then tell me you think the BMW looks inferior. Maybe then I'll listen.

Frankly, the Legacy's design is the weak link in what is otherwise a great car. I wish Subaru would invest more in design. The BRZ is somewhat in the right direction, although I think that car is also not what it could be in terms of looks.

In the meantime, I don't delude myself into thinking a Legacy is a better car than a 3-series Bimmer. Instead, I congratulate myself for being smart enough to buy two Subarus because they get the job done without me needing to buy a BMW.

In the meantime, I don't delude myself into thinking a Legacy is a better car than a 3-series Bimmer. Instead, I congratulate myself for being smart enough to buy two Subarus because they get the job done without me needing to buy a BMW.

I think there are a few things to take from this:

1.) (2) Subarus will have fewer problems with the (1) Bimmer you could've bought with the same cash.

2.) I think we're all criticizing the OP for his Secretary Bimmer purchase because a Subaru will get the job done just as easily... it just doesn't fit his lifestyle.

3.) Anyone who fools themselves into thinking an LGT is a better car than any of the big 4 German companies is simply out of their mind.

Archived