LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LegacyFuture, whatever your argument might be. You are still in a Subaru Legacy forum, you do not come into someone else's house and start pissing/flaming/dissing someone else's house.

Just for your sake, I hope your car won't have any issues. Recently, my friend told me that he was quoted $10,000 to install a new engine into his bimmer. In the end, he ended up getting a used 70k miles engine and installed it for $6,000. Either way, it is expensive. Hope you are ready to pay.

too bad but i am under warranty. :)

black outside with black interior? I would imagine the white ones are lady cars.

That's like saying a black eclipse is manly.

Still a womans car. Along with the 3rd gen mr2, eclipse, anything other than a first/second gen Celica.. get the point? You bought a womans car.

With headgasket issues past 80k. And oil leaking out of every orifice on the engine past 120k. But what would I know, I just work on cars for a living.

too bad but i am under warranty. :)

Its actually a good thing you bought a Bmw. I don't want people like you associated with the Subaru scene. You'll fit right in with the Bmw crowd.

Edit: the new Bmw crowd. Not the old enthusiasts, they're great people.

That's like saying a black eclipse is manly.

Still a womans car. Along with the 3rd gen mr2, eclipse, anything other than a first/second gen Celica.. get the point? You bought a womans car.

With headgasket issues past 80k. And oil leaking out of every orifice on the engine past 120k. But what would I know, I just work on cars for a living.

I don't care if the engine blows up. Which I had something similar happen to LGT. (Mechanical computer for the transmission blew up, it started smoking). Got stuck on the road. All was covered. I was under Extended Warranty just like the BMW. Paid $0.

I don't care if the engine blows up. Which I had something similar happen to LGT. (Mechanical computer for the transmission blew up, it started smoking). Got stuck on the road. All was covered. I was under Extended Warranty just like the BMW. Paid $0.

Mechanical transmission computer? Started smoking? That doesn't even make sense.

You deserve a Bmw.

I'm actually quite amused that folks here are calling another car a girl car. I'd say that 75% of the crap I get about my car is that it's a lesbian's car.

I don't know if that is only a wagon thing or what.

I will say that I was considering a this car before finally finding my wagon. I like the look of the 3-series coupe. But the LGT was my first choice by far.

I thought about a used 3 Series, but couldn't justify the costs associated with it. Especially that I would have to buy a used 328xi when I can get a brand new 5th gen 3.6R Limited loaded for the same price.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

They stopped making real 3-series BMW's after 1989. There were a few hits after that, sure (the M's, and the 335i/ix/d). Other than that, they were little more than the automotive equivalent of a purse.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The BMW 3-series has to be one of the worst car values on the market. I seriously considered a 3-series wagon until I started looking at what I was and wasn't getting for my money. I don't necessarily hate BMWs, they are great driver's cars, but they are a terrible value. That leads to one of my biggest pet peeves about BMWs and most of their owners. Buyers don't care that they are a terrible value because they are buying a name and an image. I am the opposite, I don't care about the badge, I want a good car regardless of the brand.

God damn there is a lot of BMW hate in here.

Yeah, BMW isn't that bad. I wouldn't trade my LGT for a 328iX, but they are decent cars. I enjoyed the two E30s and two E28s I owned. Granted those were no older than 1989 models, but were well thought out and fairly easy to work on. The E36s and E34s were decent cars and not too challenging to work on, too. OEM parts were readily available for many many many years post production and weren't too expensive. My E28s both had over 250,000 miles on them and didn't consume oil, regardless of how hard I drove them. Took many long trips with zero issues. I had a great relationship with my local BMW dealer parts department - great guys who seemed interested in helping out with older cars. Also some great owners groups. BMW corporate even hosted the five series club at their South Carolina factory in 2005 (annual 5er Fest, moves around the country). We got to drive on their lawn for a group photo of about 150 cars, the use of their parking lot for an autocross, and factory tours. Pretty cool offer for a club with cars that were no newer than 1988 models - we were hardly their target market.

I can't comment much on the current BMWs, but I think people make too much of car brands or models (other than obvious POSs). Drive what you like and who cares what other people like or why. I like my 2007 LGT.

I drive and detail BMWs of every kind on pretty much a daily basis. I USED to be impressed by the "run of the mill BMWs" (325/328, 525, 528 etc.) and thought I wanted one after my LGT. What I've realized like others have said already is that anything less than a 335 is a waste of money and nothing but a badge. If that badge is what floats your boat....go for it and enjoy every minute of it. Just don't expect to get respect from people who drive cars with a better bang for the buck in every other way than the badge and peer "recognition". Every single person who has ever looked down their nose at my LGT stops doing that when they actually learn what the car has and what the car costs in comparison to a status only car....like a 328.

^ so sad. Words can't describe what's about to happen here.

I'm so good at forecasting this shit. If you have the money to afford and fix a BMW then good for you. My Leggy suits my daily drive and budget with style. But heated seat backs would be cool...

First I love my wife's 05 LGT wagon.

However I find it comical when people mention the high costs of maintenance on a BMW when we have LGT owners posting they needed a turbo or two and then an entire engine or shortblock installed.

The BMW owners I know while maintenance is not cheap, typically they do not have catastrophic failures.

First I love my wife's 05 LGT wagon.

However I find it comical when people mention the high costs of maintenance on a BMW when we have LGT owners posting they needed a turbo or two and then an entire engine or shortblock installed.

The BMW owners I know while maintenance is not cheap, typically they do not have catastrophic failures.

exactly.

i have a 05lgt with 57k miles. this car had a cel and needed the heads machined and new exhaust valves. engine is stock.

my uncle had a 1999 528 that he drove from 70k miles to 110k miles and only did maintenance. he currently drives a 06 3 series with maybe 60k miles and he has no problems.

after dealing with the lgt's major issues, i would rather have a car with minor issues that need repair.

I like driving the lgt, but hate the fact that anyhting can break at anytime. (i drive it to careful cause of this, its not fun anymore)

When I met my wife she had a 3 series :lol:

If you are buying new or CPO or leasing, a BMW isn't that bad, especially if you only are keeping the car for the term of the loan and the warranty/maintenance period. But the base models are just sooooo slow and uninspiring.

God damn there is a lot of BMW hate in here.

I love BMW's, so don't toss me in that mix.

But the 328 is a car chosen only because you want the BMW image. Nothing else. It's not a performance car, it's not an economical car, it's a status symbol. A purse.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived