LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

First I love my wife's 05 LGT wagon.

However I find it comical when people mention the high costs of maintenance on a BMW when we have LGT owners posting they needed a turbo or two and then an entire engine or shortblock installed.

The BMW owners I know while maintenance is not cheap, typically they do not have catastrophic failures.

What doesn't make sense here is that you are on a board of literally thousands of lgt owners, pointing out the few that have had problems, relatively speaking, and comparing that to maybe 5-10 people you've known personally with BMWs. Not trying to say that the LGT is more solid of a platform since I don't hang around BMW enthusiast forums. Just mentioning that the comparison is invalid. I'd venture a guess, however, that just like this forum, you're going to hear more about the problems and the fixes on a BMW forum. That is, in fact, one of the reasons forums such as these are useful.

As for my opinion of BMW, I'd agree with the 'haters' and say that if it's not a performance or higher end luxury model, many 'upgrade' to the badge for status. I like some of their offerings, but would never find myself owning a newer one for a simple reason. It has to do with the old riddle; BMWs are like porcupines, just with the pricks on the inside. ;)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

335xi coupe. Awesome, a lot of fun to drive, and the driver interface is very user friendly.

If I wasn't 24 going on 16, and I made 20k more a year, I might consider one :lol:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Go for the Bimmer. You have to experience a car brand -- especially a luxury model -- at least once to see if it's for you. I owned a 5-series for 9 years and about 120,000 miles, and it was one of the best cars I ever had. When I traded it, both the original clutch and exhaust system were still going strong. (I actually ran across the car in New Jersey last year and the owner has passed the 230,000-mile mark.) Plus, no carmaker does the combination of great ride and handling like BMW. On the other hand, I have friends who bought a certified 3-series and had no end of problems. They finally ditched it for a Volvo.

I've done the luxury car thing many times and am now over that. Basic cars like the Subaru are just fine for daily driving. Plus, I get great dealer service, the oil changes are $27 and our two Subarus seem to be bulletproof. I've always found the dealer service at luxury brands just a little too fussy, with the capuccino machine in the corner, the sky-high labor rates and the BS about what needs to be fixed. If I want better handling and acceleration than my Legacy offers, I keep a sports car in the garage for warm-weather driving. (I can do that because I haven't spent a fortune on the two Subarus.)

So, I say you should go for it and I wish you the best of luck. Otherwise, the window will pass and you'll regret that you didn't buy it. I'm a little surprised at the criticism of the Bimmer's styling as a woman's car. The latest version of the LGT looks like an old lady's car to me, especially if you put it up against a 3-series coupe. People in glass houses . . . ;)

I don't have to experience a torn scrotum to know that I wouldn't like it.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but if you're comparing a drive in a BMW to a torn scrotum, well, I can only assume you haven't driven one. Maybe you need to get out a little more. ;)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but if you're comparing a drive in a BMW to a torn scrotum, well, I can only assume you haven't driven one. Maybe you need to get out a little more. ;)

No, I'm comparing owning a BMW to having a torn scrotum. I'll drive other suckers BMWs all day, just won't own one, especially out of warranty.

I'm just curious, does it have the turn signal package installed or was that skimped on like most other Bmws?

15 posts, and you made me LOL. I think we have a keeper.

Funny you say that, I saw a BUNCH of BMW's today and not one actually used their turn signal...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

15 posts, and you made me LOL. I think we have a keeper.

Funny you say that, I saw a BUNCH of BMW's today and not one actually used their turn signal...

could just be out of blinker fluid...:lol:

I LOLed when I read the fake manufacturer letter. However, I sense a bit of sour grapes here and I'm kind of surprised. I''ve always found this board to be better than that.

Subarus are great cars for what they are, but they're not BMWs. The two makes are in a different price class and, however well the Subarus handle and brake for the money, Bimmers handle and brake better. (However, I WILL agree that Subaru maintenance costs are way better than BMW's or other luxury makes.) If you want to think that your LGT is better than a BMW, go ahead and delude yourself. No one's stopping you.

As for BMW drivers, well, I could say the same about a whole bunch of other brands, especially when I'm driving my Boxster. When I'm in that car, I get the finger, tailgated and cut off for no reason, except that people seem to be jealous of what I have. It's a car now worth about $25K, but they think I'm rich so they seem to believe its OK to be abusive on the highway even though I haven't done anything to them. It's a common problem for Porsche owners. I've had days on the road with the Boxster where I'm glad to get back behind the wheel of my invisible Legacy.

I do agree that the OP can't necessarily expect a ringing endorsement of a BMW on a Subaru board. However, I don't understand why people don't simply celebrate Subarus for how good they are instead of feeling the need to trash other brands.

It's not sour grapes that you are sensing, it is reality. BMWs are no longer what they once were, uncompromising driver's cars. They are bloated, ugly, ,complicated, unreliable, over-priced status symbols rolling on "performance" RFTs. No one is saying that a LGT is better than a BMW, just that BMWs are not all they are cracked up to be.

You might want to examine your driving habits while in the Boxster, it might be you and not the car.

I have enjoyed this thread and do not really see much sour grapes. I for one could easily afford a BMW. But I choose not to. I chose my GT in 2006 and I love the practical low cost of a relatively high performance car. Like others here, I have some small complaints. The only two things I really dont like is the craptastic shifter and I would like the engine to be a little smoother in the power band. Hopefully some Stage 2 work will fix that.

I would not trade places with a BMW owner. I dont want the kind of personal relationship with the dealer that owning a BMW requires. Several of my friends have them, and there is always something going on. I really dont have time to babysit one of these cars as my daily driver.

The only two I would consider would be a restored BMW 2002 or maybe a BMW 850CSi. But only as a second car.

It's not sour grapes that you are sensing, it is reality. BMWs are no longer what they once were, uncompromising driver's cars. They are bloated, ugly, ,complicated, unreliable, over-priced status symbols rolling on "performance" RFTs. No one is saying that a LGT is better than a BMW, just that BMWs are not all they are cracked up to be.

You might want to examine your driving habits while in the Boxster, it might be you and not the car.

And just when was the last time you owned or drove a BMW? Look, if you can't afford anything beyond your '06 (and I think I'm getting to the heart of the matter here), that's nothing to be ashamed of and its no reason to take potshots at those who can. I'd like to own a Ferrari, but that ain't never gonna happen and it doesn't mean I have to hate those cars or their drivers because I can't afford one. I'm happy with what I've got and I don't begrudge anyone the privilege of driving something better.

I just fail to see what the hype is about with the new-age Bimmers besides the 335, and any of the M cars. Maybe I just haven't seen the light with high priced, high maintenance vehicles, but as they say-- ignorance is bliss. I love my Subie!

And just when was the last time you owned or drove a BMW? Look, if you can't afford anything beyond your '06 (and I think I'm getting to the heart of the matter here), that's nothing to be ashamed of and its no reason to take potshots at those who can. I'd like to own a Ferrari, but that ain't never gonna happen and it doesn't mean I have to hate those cars or their drivers because I can't afford one. I'm happy with what I've got and I don't begrudge anyone the privilege of driving something better.

That's where you are gonna go? The old "jealous of other people's money" schtick?:rolleyes: You don't know me or my financial situation. My '06 is paid for(early I might add) which can't be said for most of the people leasing BMWs every 2-3 years. Funny thing is, it is people that are smart with their money and don't waste them on expensive toys that are actually richer than most of the social climbing posers that I see driving these rolling status symbols.

The difference between you and I is I don't see wasting money on an expensive toy a "privilege." I am smart with my money and am keeping my lowly '06 2.5i with low miles for many more years which affords me a better and richer life. I have never owned a BMW and probably never will(Although I do lust after a vintage orange 2002), but not because I can't afford it. I have driven them on several occasions, and most recently about 6 months ago. This same car needed an alternator replaced for $1200, new suspension bushings for $600, new cooling hoses for $500 all at an indy mechanic.

I don't begrudge anyone buying a BMW, so long as they are doing it for the right reasons and know what they are getting themselves in to.

I just fail to see what the hype is about with the new-age Bimmers besides the 335, and any of the M cars. Maybe I just haven't seen the light with high priced, high maintenance vehicles, but as they say-- ignorance is bliss. I love my Subie!

:whore:

Archived