LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Hmm. I could save money if I just throw a new RSB on the stock end links... I'd just hate to be in the middle of nowhere / upper Wisconsin on a road trip throwing the GT around twisties with my buddies and have one break on me.

I'll treat the kartboy endlinks as a 'peace of mind' upgrade for $125.

I've toasted a stock endlink and a whiteline adjustable endlink. Also had kartboy endlinks when i had a rear sway bar. could not break those.

you broke a whiteline adjustable endlink??? i have them and they seem pretty beefy (not like kartboys but still beef). how did you do it? do you have the 24mm?

lol, not like a broken endlink is going to make the car undrivable. "Crap, the endlink is broken, better call a flatbed..." said nobody ever :lol:

Haha I guess I just assumed that if something suspension-related snaps it'll be bad. New to the whole modding world :)

you broke a whiteline adjustable endlink??? i have them and they seem pretty beefy (not like kartboys but still beef). how did you do it? do you have the 24mm?

Yes. I had the Whiteline 24mm XX Motorsport rear bar. I ripped the eyelet out of the threaded adjuster.

Haha I guess I just assumed that if something suspension-related snaps it'll be bad. New to the whole modding world :)

you may hear some clangs under hard cornering or if you hit a bump with one tire not the other but the car will still be driveable.... maybe don't do 80 on an off ramp tho...

you may hear some clangs under hard cornering or if you hit a bump with one tire not the other but the car will still be driveable....

^this.

I actually have a broken rear endlink on my VW right now. Had a clunk for a month or two, couldn't figure out what it was. Finally got under the car and saw the endlink hanging from the rear swaybar. Still haven't gotten it fixed because I haven't had time to get to the dealership (still under warranty). Other than some extra understeer and the clunk, the car still drives fine.

Ironically this is the first car I've owned in the past 10 years that I haven't autox'd, rallyx'd, or even remotely driven aggressively. Also the first one I can remember that didn't get an upgraded swaybar. And this one breaks an endlink :lol:

^this.

I actually have a broken rear endlink on my VW right now. Had a clunk for a month or two, couldn't figure out what it was. Finally got under the car and saw the endlink hanging from the rear swaybar. Still haven't gotten it fixed because I haven't had time to get to the dealership (still under warranty). Other than some extra understeer and the clunk, the car still drives fine.

Ironically this is the first car I've owned in the past 10 years that I haven't autox'd, rallyx'd, or even remotely driven aggressively. Also the first one I can remember that didn't get an upgraded swaybar. And this one breaks an endlink :lol:

just take the bar out for the time being to get rid of the clunk its not doing anything unless its connected to both side anyway

So, forgive me if after reading 85 pages of suspension talk and my question is dumb but I'm stuck. I want to lower my ride slightly for the performance benefit but I live in the city, full of really bad dips and bumps, and I snowboard so I like the ground clearance. Living in the northeast Im really hesitant to get any kind of coilover because I want something to last through a few winters at least. Im between the RCE blacks and the Eibach Pro springs. I hear the RCE blacks are too stiff with the bilsteins but I may have seen a single post that said the koni inserts pair best with them although not sure who said it. I also see that the Eibach springs possibly pair best with the bilsteins. Im not sure Im up for the challenge of doing the inserts but I would like to. I dont think I want to spend money to do the eibach spring with MY14 shocks/struts because I could spend a bit more for better unless someone swears this is a better setup. Also, are KYB's anything to consider here other than using it as a better platform for the koni inserts?

All in all, with driving conditions considered, and a need to keep the woman happy on short and long drives as well, which setup works best based on what people have installed and their driving habits?

This is an opinion poll really so feel free to let the thoughts flow, and hatred too if you need to get the anger out.

Thanks

I'm running the RCE blacks with Konis and I really enjoy it. Sure it is stiffer than stock so some bumpiness will be observed, but the ride isn't so harsh that my wife and 2 kids (both under 3yrs) complain. I've got some back issues from before but I have not noticed any pain or soreness with this setup. I specifically chose the RCE blacks because it seemed to give the least amount of drop while enhancing performance. I have yet to bottom out even with crappy city roads. Another option might be the 2014 Legacy springs if you want to retain stock height, but they might not be as stiff as the aftermarket options.

I guess are you going for a sport sedan feel or luxury sedan feel?

Thanks for the tip, did you do the koni insert trick yourself or have someone do it? I'm going for sport sedan, I'll be adding the sway bars/end links/struts to really stiffen her up. A track day or a mountain run from time to time but Im looking to just get more aggressive for my daily driver. I dont mind sacrificing some of my cushy ride but dont want to have to drive 10mph on the streets near my home.

GTEASER did the front strut insert install in the modified stock strut housings for me. I think it was about a 1 week turnaround from the time he got the housing and inserts to the time they were dropped off for shipping. Really clean work and I'd recommend him if you don't want to do it yourself. My car is definitely sportier without feeling like it rides like a brick.

Thanks again, I did see that he has modified some so I may be hitting him up soon if he's still willing to do the work. Curious what that compares to the eibach/bilstein combo.

I'm also trying to hatch a plan where I drop it for the summer and then swap all tires and suspension out for an Outback/Forrester setup for the winter to get extra ground clearance. So many options...

I'm also trying to hatch a plan where I drop it for the summer and then swap all tires and suspension out for an Outback/Forrester setup for the winter to get extra ground clearance. So many options...

Haha no problem man, if you have more questions feel free to hit me up. That's alotta swapping also. Situations like that make me glad im in a mostly warm/hot climate year round

EDIT: I've got about 7k miles on my Koni setup with no real issues, other than not realizing the nut on the shock rod was loose, causing me to check everything but that. I now keep a small socket set in my car so I can check them every so often when I pump gas.

Edited by Zee199969

Just remember you'll need an alignment every time you swap out the suspension. That was the point I decided to just stick with one ride height all year.

Just remember you'll need an alignment every time you swap out the suspension. That was the point I decided to just stick with one ride height all year.

I heard about the firestone lifetime alignment option and if they agree that swapping out my suspension qualifies under their rules then I will seriously consider that route, especially since they are right down the street.

I'd be very happy to build a set of Koni front inserts for you ChrisCrash. PM me with questions and we can discuss the details. I have a set of 5th gen front struts waiting for inserts sitting in the garage right now. If you want "sport sedan", you will not be disappointed with the Koni's. Mine have been on the car for 27k miles now and always impress.

Yeah.. the Bilsteins are just ridiculous at $1000. Konis are the way to go. I have Bils, and they are fine, but I paid 700, before the price went up like crazy.

The question is springs. Our roads are bad here and I needed the ground clearance (too many times have I had to drive over a 3 - 4" raised manhole in the road and cringed that I wouldn't tear off my exhaust...or worse).

Swapping out the Blacks for 2014 Springs was a great move and its worked out awesome. They are notably stiffer than the OEM springs but maintain ride height. Blacks and Eibachs will sit about the same height once settled, with Eibachs being softer, probably about the same as 2014 Springs, just an inch lower. RCE Blacks are about the same amount stiffer again, same drop as the eibachs, once settled. Other springs drop further by 1/4 to half an inch and are everywhere in between, stiffness-wise.

The only "wrong" decision, would be Swift springs, since they don't pair well with the konis unless you get lift spacers, which drives up the cost.

Decide whether you want your suspension to be stiffer or not, how much to lower, choose koni inserts, and done. Remember that "stiffer" does NOT mean "handles better" if your roads are really rough or uneven, the opposite in fact. In my case the car would hop and skip all over the place while cornering on rough roads and it actually slowed me down AND was uncomfortable. Others with lovely roads have no such issues and thoroughly enjoy the stiffer springs and the benefits that come with that.

For example, driving on a washboard dirt road with RCE Blacks and Bilsteins was like getting punched in the head 5 times a second - BRUTAL. I have no idea what the konis would be like in that case, I can only speculate: Probably better, at least adjustable.

^^^ I have my fortune 500s on sale for $1200 shipped...brand new in box. That is the better way to go.

10k/9k springs AND an additional set of 9k springs.

If no one bites by the end of today, I will send them back, pay a fee, and exchange for WRX coilovers.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I am in MA like you are. The ground clearance per cars101.com is 5.9" I haven't lowered my 1" car yet, but I am not worried about winter driving with 4.9" of clearance. Its pretty rare that you would encounter continuous 6"+ of snow; you would just need to carry some momentum to get through snow deeper than your ground clearance. I have had lowered FWD cars with snow tires in winter before and never had a problem because of snow depth.

For example, driving on a washboard dirt road with RCE Blacks and Bilsteins was like getting punched in the head 5 times a second - BRUTAL. I have no idea what the konis would be like in that case, I can only speculate: Probably better, at least adjustable.

I think I've officially been turned off by the RCE/Bilstein combination due to the lack of damper. The bumpy roads around here I cant even go fast on because of traffic so the konis may well do it best.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Eibach/Bilsten combo vs the RCE/koni combo? I've already hit up GTEASER to discuss the koni setup so unless someone has something else to add I think I've got my plan ready to execute.

oh and if anyone wants to donate money to my car I'll add a sticker with your screenname on the LGT :lol:

Edited by ChrisCrash
I cant english