LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Looking for some help: Had swift springs on stock suspension and after 2 summers couldn't take it anymore (I don't drive much, but it was getting bad after 4,000 kms)

Decided to go with BC coils after reading reviews and considering price, etc. Installed last week, and while things are technically improved over the swift/OEM combination, I still feel like the entire car (comfort, handling, control) is missing something and quite frankly I feel as if something is wrong. Perhaps it is just my expectations associated with the BC coils (assuming they would magically fix everything with the poor handling), but I am not sure what to do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Vague post is vague. Can you be more specific about what's missing/wrong with the BC's? Or what "was getting bad after 4,000kms" on the swifts? I think you're going to get some better suggestions if people more of have an idea what you're looking for.

How you liking them? Worth the money? And what setup did you get? Street, street sport, or track?

I like them a bunch. (they are also really beautiful) I ended up having to buy the longer bodies than what originally came with it because of the drop - call them up, they are reeeeeeally easy to talk to and can modify it to your "wants". I'm impressed - better than the stocks w/eibachs that I ran for over 75K miles.

Plus, they make them here - rebuilds, adjustments, etc... no worries.

I did hunting on them with the Nissan/Infinity rides and other Subaru applications to check how they came across - made me more comfortable in choosing them.

- Plus, now I can say my a$$ is golden (coilovers with their LCAs) :lol::lol:

I like them a bunch. (they are also really beautiful) I ended up having to buy the longer bodies than what originally came with it because of the drop - call them up, they are reeeeeeally easy to talk to and can modify it to your "wants". I'm impressed - better than the stocks w/eibachs that I ran for over 75K miles.

I did hunting on them with the Nissan/Infinity rides and other Subaru applications to check how they came across - made me more comfortable in choosing them.

I'm not sure that ISC products are made in the USA. They may be assembled here, but the parts are not sourced inside the country. They are probably running on the same business model as Fortune Auto.

Thank you!!!! This really helps and gives me some comfort.

I'm not sure that ISC products are made in the USA. They may be assembled here, but the parts are not sourced inside the country. They are probably running on the same business model as Fortune Auto.

ISC is generic 'your logo here' crap from Taiwan if you're lucky and China if you're not.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

ISC is generic 'your logo here' crap from Taiwan if you're lucky and China if you're not.

Yes, main company is in Taiwan. I love that the distribution store is here in America, I have called and chatted very well with them, if I need parts to rebuild or whatnot its an easy ship. I read many reviews, forums, etc about them and to my acceptance, they have met it, I also like that they are active on forums. Of course you will find people who have the opposing view - (which is good, if there were none then competition would no long exist) just like there are people who speak very poorly of Subaru cars for an example. Are there better coils? Yes! But these are great IMO. I recommend them for now, as I have yet to put on 1ks of miles on my set.

• 3 weeks later...

So in the past couple of days, I've been getting a knocking thunk around the area of my right front wheel well. I haven't had alot of time to check it out yet, but I have checked the tophat and spring and they seem to be in order. The noise is more prevalent when going at slower speeds.

Any one have some input on what I should check next? I'm running on RCE blacks and Koni Yellows.

could also just be bolts that are not tight enough. I had a small "click" I would hear. We heard it every time I applied the brakes. A control arm bolt was just a tad loose and it allowed movement under heavy load.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Hmm so checked all the bolts on the control arm, tie rod, end link and sway bar. Everything was buttoned up as it should be and at least from what I could see, the bushings look good. Double checked the spring and bolts on the strut housing as well. No play there either. Do y'all have any other suggestions as to what I might check?

Hmm so checked all the bolts on the control arm, tie rod, end link and sway bar. Everything was buttoned up as it should be and at least from what I could see, the bushings look good. Double checked the spring and bolts on the strut housing as well. No play there either. Do y'all have any other suggestions as to what I might check?

Leave it alone...

...it's within spec!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Th dealer seems to think it is a bad strut. I'd figure if it was a blown strut I would feel some sort of performance loss while driving. This is not the case, as everything is normal otherwise, outside of the clunking. I plan on taking the strut out when I get home to take a look at it. I'm pretty sure the spring is seated properly, but could this be the cause of the clunking?

Usually I'm in agreement with that sentiment about the dealerships. But this time I'm leaning towards their opinion. Just bummed the strut is blown after 4mo of use without going pothole jumping. I hear Koni is pretty great with customer service, but due to the holidays, I won't be able to talk to them until this coming Tues.

I can't believe it would be the Koni's. Check the bolt on the bottom of the strut that holds the Koni in. I loc-tite'ed it and torqued it to spec, but others have had it come loose a little.

I have a little creak in my left front since I installed the Koni's. Only when I back up and out of a parking spot or my driveway and turn the wheel. One little creak or pop and that's it. I am sure it's the spring in the seat.

I wish it was just a little creak. The bolt on the bottom is snug with no play. I can get an audio recording to attempt to show you guys what it sounds like. I had my doubts about it being the strut as well, but it is definitely a clear thunking sound. I can try to reseat the spring, but would that start happening 5k miles+ after the install?

I've initiated the warranty replacement just in case.

Strut mount?

Since you have konis and can adj your rebound damping, try reducing the damping as low as it goes, ie as little as possible and see if the noise changes, or the circumstances that cause it. Reduced rebound damping may prevent tension loading on the strut which could indicate a bad strut mount bearing.

It may be hard yo yell but if you can figure out if the clunk occurs on compression or rebound it may help.

Edited by brandon.mol

It feels like the clunking is on the rebound. Usually when I hit a bump the sound is delayed by a second or so.

Also, Koni said that since they do not have an application for their struts on the 5th gen Legacy, that they would not cover it on their warranty.... Has anyone else needed to use the warranty to get a strut replaced?

No. Just tell them it's the same as 08+ WRX, or maybe you should have told them that in the first place.

I thought about telling them it was an 08+ WRX, then I got to the part where they require your vehicle registration to be submitted as well :(. I'll double check the spring to make sure it is seated properly, then I guess worst case scenario I'll have to buy and rebuild the front strut.