LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Noob to suspension concepts here but from what I read in this forum buying springs to lower my car is a BAD idea on stock struts....So basically the most efficient way (on my pocket) is to simply grab some coils (say tein's) and call it a day?

Unless you get Swift springs.

They lower the vehicle within the optimal operating stroke of the stock struts.

I would contend that anything over a 1" drop is not "Optimal" for the stock struts. Regardless of the lowering spring you run, with that drop, you WILL bottom out on big bumps, and that is NOT OPTIMAL.

Someone told me on this site, that their car worked fine with Eibach springs on stock struts. (1" drop) They used the Eibachs on both 10-12 and 13-14 style struts. The struts were nearly new.

I was thinking about going that route, but I have already notice some degrading of my suspension at 46K miles from the New England roads. From my research it seems likely that I might be replacing my stock struts around 60k mile mark anyways; I don't feel like doing struts twice in a short period of time, so I am not going to bother trying to use the stock struts.

I would contend that anything over a 1" drop is not "Optimal" for the stock struts. Regardless of the lowering spring you run, with that drop, you WILL bottom out on big bumps, and that is NOT OPTIMAL.

Stock suspension bottomed out on big bumps. It bottomed out when people sat in the car.

Someone told me on this site, that their car worked fine with Eibach springs on stock struts. (1" drop) They used the Eibachs on both 10-12 and 13-14 style struts. The struts were nearly new.

I was thinking about going that route, but I have already notice some degrading of my suspension at 46K miles from the New England roads. From my research it seems likely that I might be replacing my stock struts around 60k mile mark anyways; I don't feel like doing struts twice in a short period of time, so I am not going to bother trying to use the stock struts.

That someone is wrong. You may run it that way, but it does not work "fine".

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

You likely don't need to replace them - but if you can, might as well do it now while you're in there to install the Coilovers.

I changed all the top hats to Group N rubber flavors of OEM front and back while putting the RCE/Bils combo in. Fronts needed to go, rear were OK but I swapped them anyway.

You likely don't need to replace them - but if you can, might as well do it now while you're in there to install the Coilovers.

I changed all the top hats to Group N rubber flavors of OEM front and back while putting the RCE/Bils combo in. Fronts needed to go, rear were OK but I swapped them anyway.

Can I ask where you got them from and how much you paid?

So essentially swifts do not destroy the stock struts AS fast as say tein's....because they are about .2" higher? Im thinking i might be better off just getting coils considering CT's weather leaves the roads looking like a post-war mine field that has gone off....Unless you have better "baller-on-a- budget" option for me?? :lol:

So essentially swifts do not destroy the stock struts AS fast as say tein's....because they are about .2" higher? Im thinking i might be better off just getting coils considering CT's weather leaves the roads looking like a post-war mine field that has gone off....Unless you have better "baller-on-a- budget" option for me?? :lol:

I have the Tein S Tech springs on brand new OEM struts, have had them for the past 6 months, but these roads ruined the struts. before the winter I enjoyed the drive 100%.

Edited by SubieLove1010

I ran Eibachs on mine with stock struts. I enjoyed the drop and the ride. Of course it was not "cushy" and I did scrape occasionally on large bumps. I would say they were a great "middle" ground between full stock setup and the Koni setup. Now.... my struts finally gave out after about 70k miles in which I switched to coilovers. Here is a link on the eibachs with a picture (not my car):

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/eibachs-installed-161599.html?t=161599&highlight=eibach

For the price - I say go for it. Unless you want to hold out, save up the cash, and do the Koni setup which has been proven to be awesome. Or boss out and suck it up longer to buy a great coilover setup.

So I just received my Tein street basic coil overs and I'm not sure what these are. (See Picture)

Those look like upper spring stops. Did the coilovers come with pillowball mounts? Maybe those are included if you want to run stock rubber mounts?

Edit: Yup.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Shockwave179/yup.jpg

Edited by Blizzard

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think anyone has done either yet. I am going to guess that the Bils will probably overpower the Swifts. And I know for a fact that the Bils will only work with the Swifts as long as the Bils measurement at full extension is the same as the OEM units. H&R will work and probably pair quite nicely with the Bils.

I don't think anyone has done either yet. I am going to guess that the Bils will probably overpower the Swifts. And I know for a fact that the Bils will only work with the Swifts as long as the Bils measurement at full extension is the same as the OEM units. H&R will work and probably pair quite nicely with the Bils.

...cool, I recall H&R and Bilstein being a popular combination from my VW days.

I am going to guess that the Bils will probably overpower the Swifts.

Respectfully disagreed :)

Since I am running the 200lb subie springs with Bilsteins and they work night and day better than the Blacks, I would think swifts would work lovily, based on spring rates.

The Bils have insufficient rebound dampening for the Blacks, and seem to be just right with 200lb springs. Definitely not over dampened on the rebound side. With the Blacks they would drop hard into potholes and buck up violently after compression on bumps, especially the rear. With lighter springs they behave nicely.

You are just spoiled with your virtually infinite pool of adjustable rebound damping goodness!

^^^ Brandon and I had this conversation yesterday. I opted for Swift springs due to lower spring rates=more comfortable / softer ride. Decided to not bother installing the swifts on stock struts and will be getting Bilsteins soon.....Based on his opinion the Swifts are similar in rate which should provide a smooth ride.

I thought the Bilsteins were $799 at one point, checking their site now, it's $999...

Wow yeah they went up in price. All the more reason to go with konis, but not with swifts.

For that price you would be better off selling the swifts, buying konis and some other springs. Or just buy the koni plus h&r kit from tire rack and some lift spacers to adjust the height as required.

No way are the bils worth a grand. Thats nuts...

are koni's monotube or a twintube?

mono

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek