LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

It looks like TEIN finally make coilovers for the USDM 5th gen LGT.

https://www.tein.co.jp/srch/eng_search.php?maker=default&restype=1&srchfrwd=BM9

This looks REALLY good. And the EDFC looks pretty trick as well. I'm hoping they/someone starts carrying these soon over here.

MSRP conversion for the four shocks look to be about $1700 and if I read the site correctly, you have to add springs to that.

But I do like that they specifically state that it will work for US (BM9) cars.

Why? There are already much better options out there.

They just came out so they warrant an interview. Its just smart to look into them. Not saying either way which I'll prefer, but I will be trying to read up on them. Never been a fan of their springs - eibach is who I prefer - but now I can make a better choice since there are comparisons. HKS, KW, now Tein, etc.... even Megan's. Coilovers, to me, if/when I do them should not be based on price alone. Heck, they just hit the market so they need to establish a rep first before just outright not being considered.

I've got another 3500 mile vacation/business trip this fall, something will be done before then. Had to swerve around a wooden palet on I-95 last trip and it really upset the car and the female passenger :rolleyes:

Also for that price, you can basically buy KW V3 coilovers.

I'm not saying that the TEIN's will be bad, but price wise.

wait a minute, who is selling KWV3's cheap? $1700ish?

wait a minute, who is selling KWV3's cheap? $1700ish?

I don't know if anyone is selling them for less than 2K.

With such an expensive part I figured it was worth $100 more to buy from a larger retailer who you know won't give you any issues if you have a problem or need to file a warranty claim.

KW V3 coilovers has been a very popular suspension upgrade here in China, particular for the German car here, but lately there were many reported leaking issues here after just a few weeks of use. The performance shop that I know now don't want to carry their product, since they have to send the product back to Germany for repair. I don't know if in US, they also have the same quality issues. But I just saw Brainchild also had a broken KW V3 a few weeks/months back. That raises a bit of concern to me.

This hasn't been a major problem for the US assembled KW V3s. I have them with softer Swift springs and they are very comfortable for daily driving and I live in Colorado.

My only complaint is in cold weather I hear an abrupt chirp/squeak over the really harsh bumps/potholes.

I will try to lubricate them with lithium grease but in warmer weather they are silent and also the clunkyness that I heard from the stock shocks is gone.

KW V3 coilovers has been a very popular suspension upgrade here in China, particular for the German car here, but lately there were many reported leaking issues here after just a few weeks of use. The performance shop that I know now don't want to carry their product, since they have to send the product back to Germany for repair. I don't know if in US, they also have the same quality issues. But I just saw Brainchild also had a broken KW V3 a few weeks/months back. That raises a bit of concern to me.

hopefully brainchild can chime in soon on what happened to his coilover. I know that the KW3's will be my last resort if the Bilsteins have another delay

Mine have been fine so far. Think I've put maybe 5-6k on them.

Honestly road conditions may be something that contributes to leaking. Not sure how roads in China are but I don't think these things like massive pot holes or other large road imperfections.

Edited by Blizzard

Mine have been fine so far. Think I've put maybe 5-6k on them.

Honestly road conditions may be something that contributes to leaking. Not sure how roads in China are but I don't think these things like massive pot holes or other large road imperfections.

Yup, you're right, roads in China are not that good. But there were not too many issues reported for other brands unlike KW. Bilstein and TEIN are other popular brands here. The Bilstein B12 (BTS) strut, KW V3, CUSCO, BC and TEIN coilovers are the most common suspension upgrade for 5th gen legacy here.

With having tein s.techs does anyone think ill have difficulty fitting 19x9.5 + 38????

Or do coilovers now need to be purchased at this point?

you'll need LOTS of negative camber...and then it may just rub on the inside.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

hopefully brainchild can chime in soon on what happened to his coilover. I know that the KW3's will be my last resort if the Bilsteins have another delay

as blizzard mentioned, I think road conditions do play a big role in the longevity of the coils. We're "lucky" I guess in the US because KW has a facility in California, so no need to wait the extra time for international return shipment in case of a rebuild. Keep in mind that a coilover isn't designed to last forever, you should expect to rebuild at least once during the time you own them (if you keep them for a while).

Mine lasted less than 8k miles before the left rear blew out. Haven't had any issues with the other 3, and the rebuilt one has been performing perfectly for a month or two now.

Between myself and friends, I've ridden on or owned most major coilover brands. KW's, for the price, have tended to be the most reliable and best ride quality for a daily driver. Obviously if you wanted to get really spendy, you can drop up to $10,000 per corner on some custom Ohlins or Motons, etc. but these are designed for the track and will require frequent rebuilds too.

in my opinion, stay far away from the "knockoff" or no-name brands for a part like this. As Gborja said, some other solid brands in this realm are Cusco and Tein. Lots of other JDM tuner companies make their own coils too, but these are often rebranded Cusco's or teins. (i.e. zerosports, etc.)

All that being said, I still think the KW is the best option out there for these cars at the moment. (price, build quality, ride quality, etc..)

Edited by Brainchild Customs