LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

as blizzard mentioned, I think road conditions do play a big role in the longevity of the coils. We're "lucky" I guess in the US because KW has a facility in California, so no need to wait the extra time for international return shipment in case of a rebuild. Keep in mind that a coilover isn't designed to last forever, you should expect to rebuild at least once during the time you own them (if you keep them for a while).

Mine lasted less than 8k miles before the left rear blew out. Haven't had any issues with the other 3, and the rebuilt one has been performing perfectly for a month or two now.

Between myself and friends, I've ridden on or owned most major coilover brands. KW's, for the price, have tended to be the most reliable and best ride quality for a daily driver. Obviously if you wanted to get really spendy, you can drop up to $10,000 per corner on some custom Ohlins or Motons, etc. but these are designed for the track and will require frequent rebuilds too.

in my opinion, stay far away from the "knockoff" or no-name brands for a part like this. As Gborja said, some other solid brands in this realm are Cusco and Tein. Lots of other JDM tuner companies make their own coils too, but these are often rebranded Cusco's or teins. (i.e. zerosports, etc.)

All that being said, I still think the KW is the best option out there for these cars at the moment. (price, build quality, ride quality, etc..)

Actually a few months back I was ready to order KW V3 coils. But the shop I ordered it from don't want to give me product warranty. So I've decided to go with other brand. My first choice was actually Bilstein PSS10, but it was only available in Japan and no Japan online shop seems to carry this product. The shop here is recommending me to get either RSR, TEIN or HKS coils. Then I saw someone in a local forum selling a slightly used (5 months old) TEIN TYPE FLEX coils. The condition and price of the coils was really good so I decided to get this. Even though TEIN was not in my radar, the deal was too good to pass. Anyway I was thinking TEIN had a very good reputation, and if ever I will have a problem I can easily send it for repair because they have a repair facility here. That's why I really agree with Brainchild, don't get any no-name brand on major parts like the coilover.

has anyone looked into the KYB Excel G struts? It looks like a decent in between till the Bilsteins get produced. It's supposed to be 15% stiffer than the OEM and good to go for lowering springs. It's a little bit better than the OEM struts but for the price it's really cheap till the Bilsteins come in. Here is the link: http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/?vApplicationID=211&sfID1=8&sfID2=60&sfID3=478

I wouldn't bother. I'd try retrofitting 08+ WRX Koni Yellows before doing that.

you think that would work? I know I read that the KW3's fit the 08 WRX's. I just need to use my stock top hats right?

I've placed an order for a set of BC coils with Swift spring upgrade with Import Image Racing on Feb. 25th and card charged the same day. I have not receive any order update from them. Really pissed :mad:

First they said BC is waiting on parts. Then they said BC just moved to a new location and they're awaiting updates from them.

It's been two weeks...

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

I've placed an order for a set of BC coils with Swift spring upgrade with Import Image Racing on Feb. 25th and card charged the same day. I have not receive any order update from them. Really pissed :mad:

First they said BC is waiting on parts. Then they said BC just moved to a new location and they're awaiting updates from them.

It's been two weeks...

Had similar issue with them about 2 years ago with BC coilovers. Took like 3 weeks to get them and they never updated me until I emailed them.

I am sure that with something like aftermarket shocks, the manufacturer typically doesn't have them in a box, ready to go for your car. Conducting business that way would tie up a lot of capital in stock for their shelves and would be a real drain on the business if the sets sat there for an extended period of time. For example, look at Fortune Auto, they say on their site that they build each set and the lead time is a few weeks. They basically have the spec sheet for each car that they offer a kit for, and a parts bin, with a lot of the internals, bodies and springs being interchangable between many cars. When they get the order they assemble it for the specific car you ordered it for. That way they purchase parts as they are using them. This is a much better business model than building 100 sets of shocks for each and every car they offer a kit for and then waiting around for people to buy them.

Blizzard I am thinking about saying eff it and getting KW's. The Bilsteins are a great value. However, I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the dampening when I decide I want to tighten up the suspension. In Italy they have cobblestone roads and even on the OEM shocks it sucks. I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height as well.

Blizzard I am thinking about saying eff it and getting KW's. The Bilsteins are a great value. However, I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the dampening when I decide I want to tighten up the suspension. In Italy they have cobblestone roads and even on the OEM shocks it sucks. I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height as well.

If the roads are that bad I say stick with stock until you get back.

• 2 weeks later...

NEED SOLID ADVICE.

Will the Bilstein

PSS10 Coil-Over Kit

made for the 2008+ WRX fit my '13 legacy?

We know the 2008+ wrx struts/shocks will fit thanks to ScoobyGT, but what about this?

I'm seriously contemplating this rather than hacking a koni insert into the OEM housing and riding around that way...although they are on their way.

Better yet...is anyone running this setup?

Edited by fredrik94087

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

NEED SOILID ADVICE.

Will the Bilstein

PSS10 Coil-Over Kit

made for the 2008+ WRX fit my '13 legacy?

We know the 2008+ wrx struts/shocks will fit thanks to ScoobyGT, but what about this?

I'm seriously contemplating this rather than hacking a koni insert into the OEM housing and riding around that way...although they are on their way.

Better yet...is anyone running this setup?

They should fit the suspension design didn't change.

At that price level you could go KW V3.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been almost 8 weeks since I placed an order for my BC Racing with Swift upgrade with Import Image Racing.

Their customer service reps hasn't been much help... :mad: while they have $1190 of my money and no products to deliver nor any updates to my purchase...

○ ○ ○

Hello,

I am having BC look into this. I apologize for the delay but I will let you know what they say.

So i replied this email with..."I'm having my credit card company look into this transaction. It's been almost 8 weeks... "

AND I finally got a tracking number!!!

○ ○ ○

So i replied this email with..."I'm having my credit card company look into this transaction. It's been almost 8 weeks... "

AND I finally got a tracking number!!!

Yeah should have ordered from Forman Performance, they told me they could get a better price somehow. $1190 is what import image gave me too. Btw, let me know how it rides, I'm starting to like my soft ride and not sure about coilovers anymore... :lol: