LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

http://www.importimageracing.com/bc-racing-br-series-coilover-kit-for-10-12-subaru-legacy.html

On the right you have option to add Swifts. Talk to Josh and ask him if you can get $150 off if you order the coilovers w/ swift springs ;).

Thanks for this link. I am on the short list for RCE shock/strut project but if that doesn't pan out I think I might go the BC route. Check that, I would definitely go the BC route. Hell, if these would have been out before I put in my pre-order I would have done this...

I'm just here for the mods.

• 2 weeks later...

im on the fence here.. I have a 2012 outback 3.6r and what to lower it.. I know no one can guarantee that one kit will fit but Im willing to invest money to find out.. Here are my options..

Coilovers - BC Racing and it looks like Fourtune Auto 500 makes a possible kit.. About $1300

Stock 2013 Legacy 3.6R Shocks and Springs.. About $700

Japanese Set Ups - Cusco for the 2.5i Legacy Outback.. $2300

So what does the community think think?

im on the fence here.. I have a 2012 outback 3.6r and what to lower it.. I know no one can guarantee that one kit will fit but Im willing to invest money to find out.. Here are my options..

Coilovers - BC Racing and it looks like Fourtune Auto 500 makes a possible kit.. About $1300

Stock 2013 Legacy 3.6R Shocks and Springs.. About $700

Japanese Set Ups - Cusco for the 2.5i Legacy Outback.. $2300

So what does the community think think?

FWIW the 2013 Legacy shocks and springs may just be 2010-2012 Legacy GT shocks and springs, so I'm not sure it would be much of an upgrade.

I was trying to confirm this info as I am looking to get a set of Swifts for my 2013. The Swifts are made for the GT struts/shocks.

How can I find the part numbers from the FredBeans site?

FWIW the 2013 Legacy shocks and springs may just be 2010-2012 Legacy GT shocks and springs, so I'm not sure it would be much of an upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Sometimes when I go through a hole or something similar in a curve, my steering wheel makes a 1 cm move inwards, then rushes back in its previous position.

In that instant (while the steering wheel moves), the car seems to "lose contact with the ground".

So I would like to stiffen up things. I am on stock 16" wheels with 205/60's, which I have to maintain (mandatory measures for this car in Italy).

Reading through this thread - I suppose I should get:

1. thing - Whiteline RSB (22mm adjustable + mount support brace -> BSR49XZ)

2. thing - get a Whiteline Front Brace strut Tower (-> KSB 639)

=> or what else ?

For the moment I don't want to go for coilovers (too expensive for my wallet :redface:).

Thanks for Your help.

Edited by michelino1968

Neither of those are going to solve your "losing contact with the ground" issue over a hole, that's a damping problem which can only be solved by, replacing your dampers with something like Bilsteins (which are still not yet in production).

That being said, a RSB makes a big difference on these cars. You can also use a 19mm STI RSB and save about $100. A front strut tower brace is ok, GT Spec is another option, Whiteline is good too, neither are going to make much of a noticeable difference (although that being said, I've usually ended up putting front strut tower bars on my cars because it's a cheap 5min mod that makes the SLIGHTEST of differences in initial turn in response).

I wanted to add to this thread my existing suspension setup as well as compilation of those available coilovers for 5th gen legy in China as well as other known coilovers that will fit the 5th gen:

Here's my suspension setup:

TEIN Type Flex Coilovers

Cusco 25mm front sway bar

Cusco 18mm rear sway bar

CIDEP front and rear chassis braces

CIDEP front tower strut bar

Kartboy front and rear endlinks

Hardrace front upper and LCA bushings (used to be WL and AVO bushings, but find it too much increase in NVH)

Still not yet installed:

WL roll center kit

Summit racing/GTSPEC rear adjustable LCA

Summit racing/GTSPEC rear adjustable toe control arm

The common coilovers available in China for the 5th gen:

TEIN type flex

BC Racing

KW V3

HKS Hipermax III

D2 Racing

CUSCO sports zero 2E

Other known coilovers available in Japan for 5th gen:

RS-R Basic-i

RS-R Best-i

HKS Hipermax IV

Bilstein PSS10

Aftermarket Springs :

HR Springs

Tein High Tech Springs

Eibach Springs

Aftermarket Struts :

Bilstein Struts B12

I still don't know what's the difference between the JDM and USDM suspension, but I've seen someone order their KW V3 coilover here from US and install them to their car without issues.

After I have my new rims installed, I will post some pictures.

Edited by Gborja888

I did a fair amount of searching (albeit not exhaustive) but couldn't find any concrete info. I'm wondering what the stock balance is like on the 5th gen, and how much stiffness shift is needed to tip the car back to neutral? There are a fair amt of options out there to change handling behavior and I'm wondering if anyone can speak to this... I've only owned the car for about a week now so I don't have enough seat time to tell for myself yet.

Ex) Stock understeers like "the world's largest hog" at the county fair, upgrading to 20mm rear sway neutrals out the car (or a 24mm), etc etc.

Edited by bigstrusk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...