LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Then again, what? Try not to be a pinhead - I'm not bottoming out the suspension on a bump - How does speed have anything at all to do with a slope which scrapes the bottom of the bumper before the front wheels are even there? Once the wheels meet the slope, the front comes up and it's clear. Dropping the front another inch would be bad.

Ok :lol:, sorry for trying to help. Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

Today I finally put on my RCE 25.5mm hollow rear sway and Kartboy endlinks, and the difference is very noticable. My car feels much more solid and predictable through turns. I'm not sure how much is due to the sway and how much the endlinks, since I put them on at the same time, but I'm quite pleased with the overall suspension upgrade.

If anyone out there would like my OEM endlinks and/or bushings as spares, I'm happy to give them away. Just pay me for shipping (although I won't turn down donations if you feel like including an extra few bucks). PM me if interested.

Today I finally put on my RCE 25.5mm hollow rear sway and Kartboy endlinks, and the difference is very noticable. My car feels much more solid and predictable through turns. I'm not sure how much is due to the sway and how much the endlinks, since I put them on at the same time, but I'm quite pleased with the overall suspension upgrade.

If anyone out there would like my OEM endlinks and/or bushings as spares, I'm happy to give them away. Just pay me for shipping (although I won't turn down donations if you feel like including an extra few bucks). PM me if interested.

No rotation of the spring perches are needed with the RCE rear sway and KB endlinks, correct?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, Gary at Mann Engineering install a set on a customer's 2.5i and that is when he first saw the extra front end drop of 1/2" more than the advertised drop of 1.1 on those cars.

He looked into why the drop happened on that car and not on the 2.5GT cars. He discovered that the 2.5i and 3.6R cars share the same front struts. The 2.5GT cars have a different front strut. He also discovered that the 2.5i, 3.6R and 2.5GT cars all have different part numbers for springs. Meaning that they all have different spring rates or lengths.

The added 1/2" of drop on these cars means that you are now into a seriously low front end with the Swift springs on your 2.5i or 3.6R Legacy.

I regained at least 1/8" back by placing some washers on the threaded studs that attach the top end of the strut assembly to the body shell when I installed my set of Swift springs. Basically raising the body of the car by that much. It's not a lot, but the length of the those studs is the determining factory here. If those studs were longer you could raise it more.

I've been reading up on suspension possibilities for the 3.6R as I am hoping to pick one up in the near future (by this weekend if the guy gets back to me!)

That being said; I noticed your mention of this issue in your journal and sought out more information.

I was initially planning on purchasing two new 2.5GT front struts along with Swift springs but I may be reconsidering if what I am saying makes any sense at all. :lol:

Just noticed Nadracer's post on the last page that he is on RCE's and stock struts...so sounds as though it is doable.

Nadracer; any pics you could post up? Side profile prefereably! Thanks!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Orion

Edited by TheAnser
Caught more info the further I read.

VW3's are one of the best coilovers for our vehicle. But......they do not have the extended adjusters so that means anytime I need to adjust my settings I have to remove the back seats. What a pain. Now I am torn once again by BC's and VW3's

I've never really tried to adjust mine much, but when I did, I certainly didn't remove the rear seats. If you really find yourself adjusting them often, you could probably drill a small hole in the carpet and then get a long allen key for easy access.

I've never really tried to adjust mine much, but when I did, I certainly didn't remove the rear seats. If you really find yourself adjusting them often, you could probably drill a small hole in the carpet and then get a long allen key for easy access.

dude you are the man! VW3's it is lol. How easy was the install?

*shrug* I didn't actually install them myself. Went down to MD and Myles from RCE installed them since it was the first set to go on a 5th gen and he wanted to make sure everything fit properly.

If you have all the right parts and tools, it shouldn't be a difficult install.

*shrug* I didn't actually install them myself. Went down to MD and Myles from RCE installed them since it was the first set to go on a 5th gen and he wanted to make sure everything fit properly.

If you have all the right parts and tools, it shouldn't be a difficult install.

nice! wait they are down in MD? wow ill be in PA next thursday! Where in MD are they at?

Ok so doing a lot of research on the whole BC vs KW coilovers as I am torn between the two. I have been looking at different reviews on different forums on different vehicles.

This is from a GTO forum:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429762

This is from another Legacy Forum:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18097

This is from a 370Z Forum:

http://www.the370z.com/brakes-suspension/6973-kw-variant-3-vs-bc-racing-er-type-coilovers-one-do-you-prefer.html

Everyone I have talked to thus far have always said that they would go with the KWv3 or the Bilsteins in our 5th Gen. I am looking at the BC's as an option because in reality they are the best bang for your buck. In the first link bottom line is this BCS street/track KW's track/street.

if you plan on being the daily autox driver or track driver KW's are the way to go. if you plan on being at the track every so often and you want the ride comfort on the street and decent performance on the track BC's are the way to go. IMO I believe the KW's have a better quality build and have better track performance then the BC's. But my intent is not to have a dedicated track car. If I wanted a daily track car I would've gotten an STi and be done with it. I am really leaning towards the BC's now after doing more thorough research. I plan on ordering mine next payday and I plan on ordering the RAM set up vs the BR set up. I will keep everyone posted in my journal.

Ok so doing a lot of research on the whole BC vs KW coilovers as I am torn between the two. I have been looking at different reviews on different forums on different vehicles.

This is from a GTO forum:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429762

This is from another Legacy Forum:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18097

This is from a 370Z Forum:

http://www.the370z.com/brakes-suspension/6973-kw-variant-3-vs-bc-racing-er-type-coilovers-one-do-you-prefer.html

Everyone I have talked to thus far have always said that they would go with the KWv3 or the Bilsteins in our 5th Gen. I am looking at the BC's as an option because in reality they are the best bang for your buck. In the first link bottom line is this BCS street/track KW's track/street.

if you plan on being the daily autox driver or track driver KW's are the way to go. if you plan on being at the track every so often and you want the ride comfort on the street and decent performance on the track BC's are the way to go. IMO I believe the KW's have a better quality build and have better track performance then the BC's. But my intent is not to have a dedicated track car. If I wanted a daily track car I would've gotten an STi and be done with it. I am really leaning towards the BC's now after doing more thorough research. I plan on ordering mine next payday and I plan on ordering the RAM set up vs the BR set up. I will keep everyone posted in my journal.

You can't compare Chinese and German build quality and R&D, not even in the same league.

If there's one thing people should learn from my CNT downpipe experience it's that you get what you pay for. Rutchard's car rides perfectly fine on the street with the RCE modified KW's. Mike at Innovative didn't even know the car had coilovers, that's how well it rides.

A good majority of the people that buy BC's/K-Sport/Megan are just idiots that are into the whole stance movement and think slamming something as low as it can go is the coolest thing in the world.

You can't compare Chinese and German build quality and R&D, not even in the same league.

If there's one thing people should learn from my CNT downpipe experience it's that you get what you pay for. Rutchard's car rides perfectly fine on the street with the RCE modified KW's. Mike at Innovative didn't even know the car had coilovers, that's how well it rides.

A good majority of the people that buy BC's/K-Sport/Megan are just idiots that are into the whole stance movement and think slamming something as low as it can go is the coolest thing in the world.

So you are saying that I will be an idiot for going the BC route? So far the research that I have done begs to differ. Show me the proof and an unbiased opinion? I like to see black and white and honest reviews of both products. In the GTO forum the OP provided hard data based on using both systems. That is coming someone that used both. Have you used both? I would like to formulate my own opinion on the matter. Do I have the cash to actually drop it on KW3's? Yes I do, as a matter of fact I can drop it tomorrow. But at the same time the research still shows on multiple websites and forums that the BC's are holding their own. For that matter I am going with the BC's. Is there a chance I will be disappointed? Yes. But like in any product we choose to buy we are taking a gamble anyways. Yes KW is quality German Engineering. I dislike the fact that KW's do not have the options that BC's have. I also like the fact that I can get the shocks rebuilt one for one direct exchange for $95 even in Italy.

So you are saying that I will be an idiot for going the BC route? So far the research that I have done begs to differ. Show me the proof and an unbiased opinion? I like to see black and white and honest reviews of both products. In the GTO forum the OP provided hard data based on using both systems. That is coming someone that used both. Have you used both? I would like to formulate my own opinion on the matter. Do I have the cash to actually drop it on KW3's? Yes I do, as a matter of fact I can drop it tomorrow. But at the same time the research still shows on multiple websites and forums that the BC's are holding their own. For that matter I am going with the BC's. Is there a chance I will be disappointed? Yes. But like in any product we choose to buy we are taking a gamble anyways. Yes KW is quality German Engineering. I dislike the fact that KW's do not have the options that BC's have. I also like the fact that I can get the shocks rebuilt one for one direct exchange for $95 even in Italy.

I don't know from the sounds of it you haven't been around the car scene that long man. Those coilovers are junk and always have been. It's your money though so no one can tell you what to do or choose obviously. All anyone can say is good luck...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123754871-My-wheel-FELL-OFF-BC-coilover-failure

http://www.lancerregister.com/showpost.php?p=3640671&postcount=12

http://www.calibersrt4.net/dodge-caliber-srt-4-discussion/29323-bc-coilovers-broken.html

I don't know from the sounds of it you haven't been around the car scene that long man. Those coilovers are junk and always have been. It's your money though so no one can tell you what to do or choose obviously. All anyone can say is good luck...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123754871-My-wheel-FELL-OFF-BC-coilover-failure

http://www.lancerregister.com/showpost.php?p=3640671&postcount=12

http://www.calibersrt4.net/dodge-caliber-srt-4-discussion/29323-bc-coilovers-broken.html

I've been around the car scene as an old Evo, wrx, and Honda head. I prefer Teins because I've had good results. Back in the day Apexi was made by the same company that makes the BC's. I'm old school when it comes to suspension set ups, bilstein, eibach, Koni's etc. so assumptions are mute at this point. I am catching up on new technology, I am by no means an idiot when it comes to cars and that's why I do my research. Those threads are close to 3 years old and a lot of the BC problems have been corrected. So please refrain from making assumptions when you don't even know me that we'll. The point of having these threads is to better educate the members of this forum.

If there's one thing people should learn from my CNT downpipe experience it's that you get what you pay for.

^^I agree with all of this. Do it once, do it right. Country of origin would be a determining factor for me, regardless of reviews.

• 2 months later...

So after my CNT downpipe fiasco I realized just how close the stock/Invidia downpipe comes to the front sway bar.

Does anyone have an aftermarket downpipe like the Invidia with a Whiteline front sway bar? I know they make two, one is 24mm and the other is 26mm.

So after my CNT downpipe fiasco I realized just how close the stock/Invidia downpipe comes to the front sway bar.

Does anyone have an aftermarket downpipe like the Invidia with a Whiteline front sway bar? I know they make two, one is 24mm and the other is 26mm.

I'm going with a 24mm up front and going with the invidia downpipe, once installed ill let you know, or get some pics for you within the next few weeks.