LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

i will be purchasing fortune auto coilovers in the late spring or early summer. they have had great reviews and i've ridden in 4 cars that had them and they feel great. the lower mounting bracket is one piece. there are no tabs to break off. they seem to be the best bang for your buck. they cost only slightly more than BC and they are actually shock dyno'd prior to shipping. it is ensured that you get 4 matching dampeners out of the box. you get your choice of spring rates and can even upgrade to swift spring and get roller bearings installed on the lower spring perch. they are fully rebuildable and revalveable here in the USA.

• 2 months later...

Looking for some enlightened opinions;

RCE blacks vs Eibach Pro-kit

I know there is info on both, but when i search i get hundreds of posts on both and trying to sort through both is more time than i am willing to give.

looking for similarities vs differences in ride height, harshness, rates & overall ride?

Also i thought i saw remarks that RCE did a rear sway; am i crazy or was it just a limited deal?

Thanks.

They're pretty similar springs. The eibach's drop another 0.25" compared to RCE and I believe their spring rate is about 10% less than the RCE's. I don't think anyone has directly compared the two spring sets.

And yes, I'm pretty sure RCE made a RSB. Did you look on their website?

when you say the rate is 10% less does that mean the RCE's are firmer? I think i understand that even though you end up lowering your car a little you actually increase your ground clearance because the firmer springs dont allow the same amount of travel at lower speeds or need greater force to fully compress?

Yeah ive never seen the RSB available on their site for the last 6 months.

Send a PM to Myles @ RCE. The RSBs should be in stock.... It is a hollow RSB that is the equiv of 22.5mm solid.

Pic of FSBs from April awaiting pinting

http://rcephotos.com/photos/var/albums/album101/LGTfrontswayswaiting.jpg

Edited by minuccims

when you say the rate is 10% less does that mean the RCE's are firmer? I think i understand that even though you end up lowering your car a little you actually increase your ground clearance because the firmer springs dont allow the same amount of travel at lower speeds or need greater force to fully compress?

Yeah ive never seen the RSB available on their site for the last 6 months.

Yes and yes

I've got the Whiteline 22mm adjustable as well. The brackets do not alter rear alignment.

The brackets replace the OEM brackets since the new bushings are bigger. The bolt connects the brace to the bottom of the bushing bracket. It's just a longer bolt. Here is an example from an 08+ STI that is similar:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3513/3257322068_e5a3ff3cf7.jpg

Will this setup work for a NA Legacy as well?

How do the RCE RSB compare to the Whiteline?

I see that from Whiteline the 22 and 24 get the additional support brace not on the 20mm, what does it give you in additional performance and is it necessar if i want to just firm up my ride, not going to autocross?

Like what for example, please share.;)

Cusco 08-12 WRX/STi, 10+ LGT Rear Side Member Power Brace

Cusco Subaru Legacy BM9 Power Brace Front Member

Cusco Subaru Legacy BM9 Power Brace Rear Member

I've been talking with m sprank and we found these in the cusco catalog. Going to buy on monday. :)

I know this is for Legacy's, but has anyone looked at the length of the strut/spring assembly on the Legacy versus what's on the Outback? I have the latter and took a tape measure to the dealership one day to note the differences and it appeared that the way Subaru got the additional 2.8" of ground clearance on the Outback was through 2" longer struts and .8" longer springs. However, that was done on vehicles which sat on the showroom floor, so it wasn't a precise measurement. If I'm right, a set of stock LGT struts/springs would bolt right in and drop my Outback to an appropriate height. Wheels/tires would be next after that.

Does anyone know if Gen4 and Gen5 coilover are cross compatible? If it is, i'm keeping my flex! :hide::)

Don't believe so. The 08+ WRX coilovers work as long as you use the OEM 5th gen tophats.

Edited by Blizzard

Does anyone know if Gen4 and Gen5 coilover are cross compatible? If it is, i'm keeping my flex! :hide::)

I can confirm that they are not, I have a set of tein flex on my 05. The rears are completely different mounting and the fronts have a different bolt pattern on the top hat (rears may have a different bolt pattern too).

You may be able to swap tophats as mentioned, but it would be sort of frankensteining things together (I've thought of this...)