LegacyGT.com

Trunk Debadging

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to remove the dealer badge from my 2002 Silver Legacy GT. The badge is held on w/ the double sided tape. Do you think the process above will work on a car that is 4 years old? Will be left w/ a faded area where the badge was? Thanks for your advice...

[quote name='Gregory Smith']I want to remove the dealer badge from my 2002 Silver Legacy GT. The badge is held on w/ the double sided tape. Do you think the process above will work on a car that is 4 years old? Will be left w/ a faded area where the badge was? Thanks for your advice...[/quote] You could very well end up with an UN-faded area where the badge was after four years. The only way you can tell is to do it. If you do end up with a really bad looking area, try using some polish (not wax) on it and the area around it to blend in (your whole car may need a good paint cleaning by now, but you should at least do the whole area where the badge was.) Worst case scenario is that the un-faded spot looks so bad that you have to go back to the dealer and get a new badge. or you can tape your old one back on.
neil

• 3 weeks later...
I got my legacygt in august 2004... so its almost 2 years old. If i debadge now is the outline of the letters going to be visible due to paint fading? Has anyone waitied a considerable amount of time after having their car and then done this mod? Any feedback/experience would be appreciated

1) I got the BOXER letters at [url=http://www.youremblem.com]YourEmblem- Make Your Car Unique with your unique set of initials. Better than custom license plate.[/url] 2) Worried about your paint fading after 2 years? Hmmm... not likely, but I suppose it is possible. If you were in New Mexico or Arizona where it is much hotter and there is way more sun then I would be concerned, but a two year old black car shouldn't have any paint fading. Even red would only be just starting to oxidize and would be easy to clean up. Take the letters off and then polish the trunk and it should be fine. I'm not talking about just waxing it etiher. Get a polishing compound and polish the trunk. You will likely have an outline of the letters simply because that part of the paint hasn't ever been waxed or polished. You need to even out all the paint and make it all look the same. Polish the trunk and then rewax it and you shouldn't have a problem.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

[quote name='OCDetails'] 2) Worried about your paint fading after 2 years? Hmmm... not likely, but I suppose it is possible. If you were in New Mexico or Arizona where it is much hotter and there is way more sun then I would be concerned, but a two year old black car shouldn't have any paint fading. ...[/quote] Argh! It is not that hot in NM... especially where the vast majority of the population lives...in the Albuquerque Area. Much of NM is high desert, which is dry, not hot. We get monsoons in the summer and snow in the winter. In fact, it was about 10 degrees cooler on any given day in Albuquerque in the sumer versus Sacramento, CA, where I live now....it only breaks 100 about 4 days/year over there :P Sorry, pet peeve of mine. NM != AZ.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

I'm just talking about the amount of sun more than anything. Heat isn't what fades the paint, but it does burn off the protection faster which leaves the paint unprotected from the UV rays that actually cause the fading.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

[quote name='OCDetails']1) I got the BOXER letters at [URL="http://www.youremblem.com"]YourEmblem- Make Your Car Unique with your unique set of initials. Better than custom license plate.[/URL] That is an awsome site... thanks a bunch. I totally plan on using it.

So WHAT YOU GUYS THINK? [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/ugkun2/60723003.jpg[/IMG] My friends were messing around while I was in the bathroom and took this picture without even telling me... H@M@'s!!

[quote name='Effin Ponderous']A little different...threw on the STI emblem to throw off the rex crowd, You should see the "WTF" looks I get when one pulls up next to me.[/quote] Mmm the sti logo looks nice on the red car. go automatics!!!!! My ap was shipped last night :)

[quote name='ryogt']So WHAT YOU GUYS THINK? [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/ugkun2/60723003.jpg[/IMG] My friends were messing around while I was in the bathroom and took this picture without even telling me... [EMAIL="H@M@'s!!"]H@M@'s!![/EMAIL][/quote] Where'd you get a pic of Jedi's car?
It is still ugly.

• 3 months later...
The blue stars are too much of a pain to take off. They are held on by two bolts that leave holes in the trunk. Not too many will spend the dough to fill those holes and re-paint the trunk to get it looking proper again. Plus the Stars are cool!:cool:

[quote name='gireland']The blue stars are too much of a pain to take off. They are held on by two bolts that leave holes in the trunk. Not too many will spend the dough to fill those holes and re-paint the trunk to get it looking proper again. Plus the Stars are cool!:cool:[/quote] While I agree with the Subie Emblem being the shiznit...haha...I was just curious, and I thank you for your speedy reply...that would explain why I haven't seen any with it shaved off...it's just that I thought I read someone saying they thought it wasn't held on with anything but double sided tape...but good to know thanks!!! Now the question is to debadge or not to debadge...I did when I had my Corolla and loved the nice clean look...hhhmmmm??? Brian-

Archived