LegacyGT.com

Trunk Debadging

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys I'm having some issues getting all of the residue/"ghosting" removed when debadging. I used goo gone and a 100% cotton t shirt. I even used a credit card on a small area to try and scrape it off and it's not doing anything. Here's a pic:

http://www.milehighbuilt.com/debadge.jpg

Any suggestions? '06 LGT

I was having the same problems...ended up going with a hairdryer for a while, then more rubbing, hair dryer, rubbing...I never could get it completely off. It got to the point where you could BARELY see it (mostly in direct sunlight), but it was still there. Ended up going to a local car detail place and gave the guy 20 bucks to bust out the heavy duty buffer.

Go to the auto parts store and get a Clay Bar. Then spend a few hours scrubbing. It takes a while, but it's totally worth it.

I spent the better part of a day washing, clay'ing, drying, and waxing my car. It was totally worth it, and it looked better than new. The whole car glowed when I was done.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Nice, thanks guys. I'll try the clay bar. If not, $20 isn't bad for buffering. I soaked and scrubbed for a solid 20 min and didn't see much of a difference. I have time tomorrow to do it so I will put some more work into it. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
I am in CA and mine had the PZEV badge. I wanted that off. I have done this on previous cars, and works well. Get a hair dryer, or heat gun on the lowest setting and hold at least 18" away. Just heat a little to get the adhesive a little warm. Take some fishing line, put on leather gloves so you don't cut your skin, and "floss" slowly back and forth under the badge. It will come off. Once all the badges are off, you'll need the hair dryer again. Get the adhesive warm again, and roll it off with your thumb. It will come off in little balls. If you get an area that just won't come off, try a very small amount of Goo Gone. I have done that on 3 prior cars, including a black Mazda, and no harm to the clear coat. Then I use a cleaner wax, and wax the entire area smooth. Then I wash, really more to get any possible leftover of Goo Gone off of there, and of there is any residual adhesive, dirt will stick to it and you can get it off. Or run your fingers over the area and feel for adhesive. I usually do this in the garage or shade.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
I think if you lower the 2.5GT to the corner of the trunk lid, it might look okay. Or get rid of the 2.5 and keep just the GT.

I debaged everything except the Subaru emblem in the middle and the gt and it looks good :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just debaged my 05 GRP yesterday. Drove home in the sun from work (45 minutes) so when I got home I used some fishing line to pull them off. Goof Off removed the majority of the adhesive, and was left with slight ghosting. Purchased Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (~20$) and repeated the process several times followed by a Meguiar's rub on wax.

Currently I can not see any blemishes or ghosting from the badges despite removing them ~7 years later. Took some elbow grease, but if the paint is in decent shape I believe you should be fine.

I just debaged my 05 GRP yesterday. Drove home in the sun from work (45 minutes) so when I got home I used some fishing line to pull them off. Goof Off removed the majority of the adhesive, and was left with slight ghosting. Purchased Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (~20$) and repeated the process several times followed by a Meguiar's rub on wax.

Currently I can not see any blemishes or ghosting from the badges despite removing them ~7 years later. Took some elbow grease, but if the paint is in decent shape I believe you should be fine.

Good to know. I was going to do my 05 and was wondering... now I know. I'm doing it. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Just removed the lettering from my 05. Didn't need any fishing line or floss just pulled em off by hand. The LEGACY and 2.5GT came off great, but the SUBARU glue was hard and took a bit more work. Actually got some blisters while rubbing off the tacky stuff. Finished it off with some clay and it looks great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived