LegacyGT.com

Trunk Debadging

[quote name='captainhook']Lol, no. Amazingly you can still buy the old school diapers new from a few places . . . not sure why anyone would use them on a kid though. :p Much better choices out there in the diaper dept.[/quote] True, I forgot about those places, and I just remembered I have a granola crunchy cousin who does the cloth diapers as well...LOL

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Just debadged my 06 white OBXT. Dental floss worked great, had to use a little polishing compound to get the old wax residue off, but it came out awsome. I was going to leave my 2.5 XT on but I am glad I got rid of it all. It looks way more sleek this way. You cant tell it ever had any emblems at all.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Planetary']Does anybody have pics of a car with just the 2.5 GT gone? I think just the subaru and legacy might look class, but not sure.[/quote] Just look at any subaru 2.5i . They only have the "Subaru" and "Legacy" emblems on the rear I would post some pics, but i removed mine. A nicer cleaner look

• 3 weeks later...
Debadged the back of the wagon today. It's black and almost 5 years old, so the outline, or "ghosting", was very bad. Here is an overview of what I did. It turned out excellent, and you cannot tell there was ever anything there unless you get within about 2 inches from the paint looking across it. From this angle, you can tell the slight difference in thickness of the clearcoat where the letters protected it over the years. 1. Pulled all the letters off with my bare hands/fingernails, as I didn't want to hassle with broken floss, etc. Worked very well. If done this way, you can salvage all the emblems as long as you take your time. ;) 2. Used goo-gone and a microfiber cloth to get the adhesive all off. (You can get spray goo-gone now that comes with a tiny little plastic scraper that helped a lot.) This was a chore and took most of the time. After so long, the adhesive is very crusty/sticky. I used the little scraper to slowly peel away the majority of the crap, and the cloth soaked in goo-gone to scrub the outline away. This part is uber-crusty. :mad: 3. After all this I wiped the area off and the emblem ghosting was still very noticeable. So I went to work with the 3M rubbing compound. This took a lot of elbow grease, you can't just rub it around like a sissy. Took a few sequences of intense buffing to remove the outlines. Then I went over the entire surrounding area with a light buffing with the rubbing compound. :spin: 4. Wax/buff the area with a high quality product. (I like S100 wax personally.) And then stand back and admire your work. :cool:

• 1 month later...
I did this a couple weeks after getting the car, and reading this entire thread. Used goo gone, two packs of floss and a credit card (hooray junk mail!) The results are flawless. I can see no ghosting and there are no scratches! (Used my BB to take the picture so the quality isn't all too great). [URL="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37113744&id=5813527"][IMG]http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs200.snc1/6770_630297511629_5813527_37004530_2260879_n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='RAyala']Need help!!! I need to put my Badges back on. What do I buy to glue them back on???[/quote] Don't try putting them back on. Simply go to the dealer and order new badges. They will arrive in a foam template. You can place that on the car and install the new badges.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had my Legacy for a few years. If I debadge now, do you think the paint will be a shade different from the rest of the car? I don't want to debadge and have the paint look "uneven."

Color = diamond gray.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

^^Your holes are showing^^

I debadged my Outback. A little clay-bar love, and some elbow grease, and you can't tell that badges were ever on the car (even when wet!) Not bad for 1-year-old SWP paint.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^^Your holes are showing^^

I debadged my Outback. A little clay-bar love, and some elbow grease, and you can't tell that badges were ever on the car (even when wet!) Not bad for 1-year-old SWP paint.

I plugged the holes, looks better then two open holes. But I might put the badge back on, not sure how I feel yet about it.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• 1 month later...
Debadged the back of the wagon today. It's black and almost 5 years old, so the outline, or "ghosting", was very bad. Here is an overview of what I did. It turned out excellent, and you cannot tell there was ever anything there unless you get within about 2 inches from the paint looking across it. From this angle, you can tell the slight difference in thickness of the clearcoat where the letters protected it over the years.

1. Pulled all the letters off with my bare hands/fingernails, as I didn't want to hassle with broken floss, etc. Worked very well. If done this way, you can salvage all the emblems as long as you take your time. ;)

2. Used goo-gone and a microfiber cloth to get the adhesive all off. (You can get spray goo-gone now that comes with a tiny little plastic scraper that helped a lot.) This was a chore and took most of the time. After so long, the adhesive is very crusty/sticky. I used the little scraper to slowly peel away the majority of the crap, and the cloth soaked in goo-gone to scrub the outline away. This part is uber-crusty. :mad:

3. After all this I wiped the area off and the emblem ghosting was still very noticeable. So I went to work with the 3M rubbing compound. This took a lot of elbow grease, you can't just rub it around like a sissy. Took a few sequences of intense buffing to remove the outlines. Then I went over the entire surrounding area with a light buffing with the rubbing compound. :spin:

4. Wax/buff the area with a high quality product. (I like S100 wax personally.) And then stand back and admire your work. :cool:

Ok, fairly new to the forum, so excuse my ignorance...

I ALSO happen to be a noob in the car detailing world, I can cover the basics pretty well (washing waxing interior etc), but i know NOTHING about the paint.

Recently, debadged my new (to me) 06 lgt. Weeeellll, being the dumbass that I am, I figured I'd use some of my previous vehicle graphics skills (used to install/remove vinyl and whatnot) and attempt to get rid of the residue with a small razor/handle setup. needless to say, my skills aren''t nearly what I remembered, and even though I went as slowly as possible, managed to leave some very small surface scratches. It's not pretty. Anywho, tried waxing it a few times, but to no avail.

I know NOTHING about the buffing/polishing you were talking about..and was wondering if you used a power buffer? Or is this something I could possibly tackle with a hand kit of some sort?

Any help would be appreciated, and I'm not afraid of using mucho elbow grease. I just don't know what kind of tools, materials, technique I'd need.

The car (used) has some other scratches, and I had PLANNED on waiting a few months before taking it to a body shop, so if I can take care of these scratches myself I'd love to.

cheers and thanks

Archived