LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#2 died last night at 32,100 miles. DRLs have been disabled since the second day I had the car.

-- Steve

Interesting view of the headlamp issue:

I went by the dealership this afternoon to have them replace the headlamp under warranty. While they were working on the car, I talked with the front counter parts guy, who is an ex-coworker. The dealership is a Subaru/Mazda/Hyundai dealership, and he told me that everything that uses H7 bulbs from all three manufacturers seems to be constantly burning them out.

-- Steve

I never had a problem with bulbs burning until I switched to Sylvania Silver stars. They only last a week or so! I switched to APC Superwhites, none have burned out yet.

Last night, I have another fog light out

That is four fog light bulbs, and four low beams so far in 27K. To my surprise, one of my APC's in the fogs went last night. I have never had a car that ate up so many bulbs. It's kind of getting annoying now.

i dont know if it was said before, but, my drivers side low beam is out. i noticed that the wiring is loose.

i would touch the wire behind the bulb and it would just light up. funny thing though, it would stay lit but when i use my car the next day, itll be off again. so i would pop the hood and touch the wire till it lights up again.

same issue with the right high beam. lol. quick fix is to bang on the headlight.

About 25K miles, right low beam goes out...got it replaced at the dealer while getting an oil change. Of course the other one goes one week later, and I live about 50 miles from the dealership.

It's all well and good that they replace the bulbs for free under warranty, but it's obviously a design problem...had a '88 Honda Accord for about 120K miles, and NEVER had to change the bulbs.

What do we have to do to get a recall on the part?

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Had one headlight go at about 15K, they replaced it for free at the dealership saying it was a safety issue and since that was their #1 priority, they would always replace it for free. Not long after, the other one went out so I said screw it and bought a set of Silverstars and have been fine, and WAY brighter I might add. I think it is just crappy bulbs, that and unless you do the DRL mod, your damn light are on every minute you drive the car. On a side note, my fog lights are both still working. Could be different style of bulb, but they are on like 1/10th the time.

That's a drag man. I know this is probably very obvious, but I assume you absolutely make sure when you install the bulb that the glass touches nothing on its way in, not even the sides of the mount? I actually had to brace my hand with my other hand to keep it steady enough that the bulb would not touch a thing. There is only maybe a 1/4 inch of clearance to either side. Sorry if that sounds stupid, but any minute speck of crap that you can't even see on the bulb will create a hot spot and burn your bulb out very quickly.

Yes, good point to bring up. I have been an auto technician for 11 years, plus the last 9 as a service manager. I have accidently touched bulbs in the past ans cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and the bulb lasted forever.

My last set of Silverstars looked like they had a finger print on them right out of the package. So I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and a piece of toilet paper (they are absolutley grease free, as long as you get the cheap paper) like I normally do. The last set I cleaned before I put them in and they did last longer.

BUT. your point about hitting the sides of the housing is solid. I think I will clean the openings with alcohol also next time.

Thanks for your input!:)

Same goes for the fog light bulbs. If you dont have a lift it is almost a touch/feel procedure.

Lost both low beams last night at the same time, when I turned them on. This is the 3rd time I've replaced bulbs since buying the car late June 04, I have 58,118 miles.

I'll call the dealer when they open.

They say the head lights are only covered for 36,000 miles. She is checking to see if a TSB has been issued.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Dealer said there is no TSB, all she was told is to replace both bulbs at the same time.

I called Subaru USA they will call the dealer and tell them what to do. I guess there was something out a while ago. USA will call me back later today after speaking with the local dealer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Dealer said there is no TSB, all she was told is to replace both bulbs at the same time.

I called Subaru USA they will call the dealer and tell them what to do. I guess there was something out a while ago. USA will call me back later today after speaking with the local dealer.

Got a voice mail two days ago to call SOA back, message say's she was able to do a little more research on the headlights. I have been trying but all I get is the persons voice mail. I've left two messages, may be she's on vacation or sick.

I called SOA and someone helped me. The part number for the new bulb is 84920AG020, they are $20.73 each.

I guess that is what the TSB say's from last March. I saw that on page 4 of this post.

My '05 had its 4th headlight burn out in 34,000 miles today. Ive owned many cars in 35 years of driving. All my cars COMBINED have not gone thru headlights like this car.

There is definately a design problem here. We should all call Subaru and bitch. This is BS and these bulbs are $20.

^^^ Headlight bulbs are replaced under warranty (while still in warranty) at the dealership. You can start by documenting with the dealership all the times that you had to replace bulbs.

I still say that the DRL's has a lot to do with it, but people say that they have disabled it and they still burn out rather quickly.

Maybe disable DRL and see how long they will last just to prove the theory.

Are you using Silverstars that you are paying $20 a pop?

X

---

Archived