LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm the winner. Passenger side low-beam died on my way out of the dealership the day I bought it. (It was dark, so I could tell right away.) Total mileage: 8. :D

I literally backed back into the dealership as I hadn't even left their driveway yet. They cited a batch of weak bulbs as noted above, and replaced both. 15.5k right now and still fine ...

i think i had 5 low silverstar low beans replaced by the time i made it to 10k, then i changed brands to some ebay lights "eurodezigns". Disabled the DRL's the same day and just had one go out today at 17k, so at half of the price of the silverstarts i got about a 2x the life from them

oops, I posted this on the wrong headlight thread.

I went in to the dealer today to get my passenger bulb replaced. They replaced both of my bulbs with the 'new' ones that will hopefully last longer. They said Subaru increased the power of the headlights without improving the bulbs. I guess we'll see. . .

tom :)

I replaced mine with a set of PIAA bulbs last summer and the passenger one just burnt out last night. As others have posted, I don't think it was the brand of bulbs used by subaru. A few others have changed brands and the lights continue to fail. It has to be something else. 20,000 miles on mine; DRL disabled 18 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...
33k miles and I'm taking mine in tomorrow to have the passenger side low beam replaced. The driver's side was replaced under warranty about a month ago. What's the dealio with these things burning out? 3k more miles and it will be my nickel to replace the next one!

Drivers side just went out @ 26,500. That's my 3rd bulb in a little more than a year. I disabled DRL when I installed the new bulb this time.

Passenger side just went out at about 28,000. 4th bulb since I've had the car. DRL is disabled, but the majority of the time that bulb had was with DRL, so we'll see what this one does.

Anyone with HIDs have any issues? I've spent half of what they'd cost on bulbs in a year, so I'm going to switch as soon as possible.

Has anyone else had 4 go out or am I the only lucky one? How about 5?

I'm right behind you!

Passenger side just went out at about 28,000. 4th bulb since I've had the car. DRL is disabled, but the majority of the time that bulb had was with DRL, so we'll see what this one does.

Anyone with HIDs have any issues? I've spent half of what they'd cost on bulbs in a year, so I'm going to switch as soon as possible.

Why are you paying for the bulbs? Aren't they covered by 3/36,000 warranty?

After both head light bulbs burned out within a year, I replaced them with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I was careful not to touch the bulbs when installing them, and one of these just burned out after about 8 months. My fog lights have not burned out at all yet and I leave the fogs on all the time. Is the electrical system that bad that it kills bulbs so much? Or is it a mechanical design flaw where the bulbs get too hot in the projector housings where it shortens the life substantially?

With most aftermarket bulbs, you're trading longevity for some other factor - be it color temperature or brightness.

Sylvania SilverStars have been noted to have some pretty wide variances in Q/C. My longest-lived set is now aged 2+ years, and still doing well. But then again, I've gotten lucky, and even the set on my LGT is now approaching near one year's worth of heavy use (albeit DRL-defeated) with no ill effects.

If you have your DRLs active, it's hard to say whether or not "the blame" can truly be placed on any bulbs - including the stockers - as there's simply one more variable in-play.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived