LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driver's side at 17K, one year and one month from purchase. I just had it replaced this weekend under warrantee. Just waiting for the passenger side to burn out now...

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's

• 2 weeks later...
My drivers side went out at after 1 year 3 months or 21.5k miles. According to my dealer, the 05s were equipped with weak bulbs. The replacement ones are supposed to be better. I'm assuming that the 06s are fine.

• 3 weeks later...
i just got pulled over tonite as well. 12k on my drivers side. going to the dealership tomorrow or monday. sounds like everyone is covered under bumper to bumper

14k and now my passenger side is out. wtf.

Did they change from the Sylvania H7's? These are the ones that suck balls....if they changed to a new manufacturer, I'd like to know what it is.

My drivers side went out at after 1 year 3 months or 21.5k miles. According to my dealer, the 05s were equipped with weak bulbs. The replacement ones are supposed to be better. I'm assuming that the 06s are fine.

Did they change from the Sylvania H7's? These are the ones that suck balls....if they changed to a new manufacturer, I'd like to know what it is.

I honestly didn't check to see which bulbs they put in. If I get a chance, I'll take a look tomorrow.

I didn't know about this thread or I would've posted awhile back. Looks like I have everyone else beat on this one:

Both headlights burned out the day I bought my car, 202 miles.

At 4-5k miles, my passenger headlight assembly had condensation inside too (a LOT), also got that replaced under warranty. So far the new headlights are ok (just topped 10k miles over the holidays).

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

My Silverstar on driver's side just burnt out yesterday after 3-4 months. I have put both OE headlights back in and will not be looking to buy more silverstars in the near future. At 50 bucks a pair, they are just too expensive with not 'enough' of a difference.

Not only did I have my driver's side bulb burn out at 20,000 miles (actually, 19,971) ... but the dealer wouldn't take care of me when I wanted to have it fixed. They insisted that I had to LEAVE my car there and it would take at least a half hour to take care of it. I said there was no way I could leave my car there for a half hour on my lunch break, so they said make an appointment ... and then again drop the car off for a half hour to change the bulb!!!

I was so mad I just bought the damn bulb and replaced it in the parking lot at work after retrieving a latex shop glove and it took me all of 5 minutes including having to find a screw driver to move the washer reservoir nozzle out of the way.

The dealer outright refused to do anything to take care of me in a reasonable amount of time. I'm infuriated, and even the parts guy said "why don't you just have them change it for you under warranty?"

:mad:

This is probably such a small work order for them that they may be busy enough to have to put it off. I really don't think 1/2 hour wait is a great deal in a service department specially when dropping by without an appointment. They still need to fill out paperwork and write it out as a warranty issue.

I read your post and I started to get worried about my lightbulbs burning out when I least expect it, until I remembered that I installed HID's. :icon_bigg

I think that is the best money that I have spent on the Legacy till this date.

GL

X

---

I had the driver side low beam bulb burn out at 18,000 miles. I got pulled over 3 times in 1 week for it too (twice within the same 5 minutes), luckily no tickets... Had the dealer replace it under factory warranty. The cop that pulled me over the first time said that every Subaru he's pulled over for burnt headlights have been on the driver's side. A buddy of mine had his WRX driver side headlight go out too at 30k miles.

This is probably such a small work order for them that they may be busy enough to have to put it off. I really don't think 1/2 hour wait is a great deal in a service department specially when dropping by without an appointment. They still need to fill out paperwork and write it out as a warranty issue.

I read your post and I started to get worried about my lightbulbs burning out when I least expect it, until I remembered that I installed HID's. :icon_bigg

I think that is the best money that I have spent on the Legacy till this date.

GL

X

Read again and notice that they wanted me to DROP OFF THE CAR for an appointment for the bulb. That is total BS. If I have an appointment for something as menial as a bulb, it shouldn't take a half hour and I definitely shouldn't have to drop off the car. Also there is no reason they shouldn't be willing to just trade bulbs for a warranty item like this when it's this simple.

"Hey, I don't have a half hour to change this faulty part, I can do it in five minutes. Here's the bad one." Subaru should say "Ok, sorry about that, here's your new bulb."

Yeah I know what you mean. Like in the higher end dealerships (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes) they'll do stuff like that for you. Like even the service writer will come out and personally change it for you while you drink some expresso in the lounge, and have your shoes shined.

I went for a quick oil change on a Saturday to my delaership, what a mistake that was! I wasted half a day waiting for my car to get serviced, and I was tehre at 8 in the morning! I could have changed the oil seven times in the amount of time I wasted there. I swore never to come back on a Saturday and wait (maybe drop it off) and I even had an appoinment!

Did you plead your case with the service manager, or only the service writer? Sometimes you have better luck with the service manager.

GL

X

---

I didn't think to ask for the service manager. What I may do, is talk to the service manager at my regular dealership where I know the guy. Give him the "work" order, sign off on the paperwork, take the bulb instead, and return the new bulb at the old place. More on principal than anything.

Archived