LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

Put Philips' BlueVision H7's in at 910 miles. One burned out at 10,750 miles (2 weeks short of 1 year). DRLs have not been disabled. I didn't realize what the car had for stock bulbs when I bought these, but other than the slight blue tinting, the bulb looks identical to the POS OEM ones I took out (which are now back in until I get a different replacement).

Installed a pair of the 65 watt Osrams talked about in the thread on Daniel Stern Lighting. Check back here in about a year for the results. Also got a set of the Toshiba HIRs to replace the high beams (haven't put them in yet). A little over $100 in bulbs through ebay.

It is still ugly.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

38,000 miles - On my fourth silverstar replacement and on my second set of phillips fog lights and one just burnt out a few days ago and I've been too lazy to replace. I'll do it this weekend.

WTF is going on with these headlights? Is it something electrical? Is Subaru speaking up about this? :confused::mad::confused:

Could it be moisture getting into the headlight housing??

Thanks for letting me vent.

^^^ Tell me about it. Bulbs should not burn out at 12K miles under any circumstances. It's ridiculous. I haven't read through the 18 pages of this thread, but has a solution been found (besides DRL disable)? Are the OEM replacement bulbs any better?

EDIT: Answered my own question: Dealer said that the 05's had "bad" bulbs, and that the new OEM replacements fix the problem (No idea if this is actually true).

Yesterday was a bad day for the LGT-not only did someone do the courtesy of scraping my back bumper with theirs (no note, just a nice scrape), but when I left work at 9pm and got on the road, BOTH lowbeams burned out, same time. :mad:

I drove with the highs on since most of it was rural driving, no streetlights. I am pissed, wrote to SOA to complain, this will be on my dime since I'm at 37k.

So... let me get this straight....

Some of you guys are having repeated bulb failures in your LGT's. The bulbs that have failed have been OEM type AND Silverstars, correct?

Why, exactly.... it is Subaru's fault? If the bulbs are getting 12V - 14.6V, then it is a bulb failure... not a wiring issue.

Am I wrong here? :confused:

Are you guys touching the bulbs with your bare skin when you're putting them in, or something?

So... let me get this straight....

Some of you guys are having repeated bulb failures in your LGT's. The bulbs that have failed have been OEM type AND Silverstars, correct?

Why, exactly.... it is Subaru's fault? If the bulbs are getting 12V - 14.6V, then it is a bulb failure... not a wiring issue.

Am I wrong here? :confused:

Are you guys touching the bulbs with your bare skin when you're putting them in, or something?

Mine were OEM, and I haven't touched them at all. Dealer said (grain + salt) that the 2005 LGT's came with "bad" bulbs that burned out fast, and that the new replacements address the issue. Don't know how true this is, since there appears to be repeated burnouts here. Its Subi's fault bec the bulbs came with the car, and the replacements are OEM suabru...

Not true.... there are people who are running Silverstars in this thread with the same problem.

I'm not arguing with you... but mine was built in Oct/ '04 and doesn't seem to have "bad bulbs"....

I'm thinking it is just a crappy bulb design no matter who makes them (7 inch round sealed beams FTW). I went through a bunch of Silverstars in our previous gen Outback (granted they are H1 and not H7) and they would last just 5 months to a year (Sylvania did reimburse me for 3 of them).

Yeah I am carefull not to touch them, and I usually clean them with alcohol before I install them them just to make sure. (I also do NOT use facial tissues with lotion in them either...Puffs Plus FTL).

PIAAs gave me good life in our Camry (2 to 3 years...less in the Outback w/ DRLs), but they are crazy expensive.

It is still ugly.

• 2 weeks later...

This is absurd....A little over a year, 14k, passenger side bulb out :( To the dealer tommorow....

Is there anyway I can ask them to upgrade both of the bulbs, even at a small charge so this will not happen so soon again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lost track of how many I've replaced. I bought my car exactly 2 years ago and after 62,000 miles have replaced the low beam bulbs about 8-10 times between both sides.

I've bought silverstars from both wal-mart and autozone.

The dealership is looking into it right now.

Does anyone else notice that the DRLs have a slightly dimmer output compared to the on position?

And are HID lights prone to this too? How much are they, because I've spent too much money on this.

Bought car 4/05 first headlight out 9/05 bought silverstars lasted until Jul 06 when BOTH bulbs burnt out, replaced with standard sylvania H3's and my driver's side just went out last night bought silverstars because they were on sale and cheaper then the regular or cool blue at pep boys, i need to switch out the passanger side but i didnt feel like ripping apart the airbox at pep boys :)

I'll update my next outage ;)

There are plenty of people who are buying silverstars that have them choke

Perhaps I shall buy some of those cheap 90000000k ones off ebay and they wont burn out lol..

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I've lost track of how many I've replaced. I bought my car exactly 2 years ago and after 62,000 miles have replaced the low beam bulbs about 8-10 times between both sides.

I've bought silverstars from both wal-mart and autozone.

The dealership is looking into it right now.

Does anyone else notice that the DRLs have a slightly dimmer output compared to the on position?

And are HID lights prone to this too? How much are they, because I've spent too much money on this.

As far as I've heard, HID's should last quite a while. Yes, DRL's burn dimmer then when the lights are just on. I normally run with my lights on during the day anyway...it's a habit I can't seem to break - not really a bad one, unless you count that fact it might be wearing out my bulbs a bit faster then they should...but meh...I feel safer...easier to see by the "others" on the road, haha...

When I took my to the dealership, they replaced them under warranty with a better quality I guess. The shop told me I had the original's in there, and that they did have a problem with burning out. They also said these new ones should last longer then the previous set...hope so....if not, HIDS!!!

Brian-

i replaced my bulbs like 3 time in six months. i disabled my DRL's and no problems sence.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

05 wagon gt, blown psgr bulb @ 17K, replaced with silverstar from autozone (both sides)...blew psgr again @ 22K. Took car to dealership for oil change, and asked them what they had heard and if there was a TSB. Of course they denied and then said I may have voided my warranty by putting in Silverstars. BULL CRAP! Anyhow replaced Silverstars with PIAA's, blew psgr PIAA @ 25k, took back to auto parts store and they replaced both lights for free! No probs since. But I am still paranoid, so I am constantly checking the bumpers of other cars to make sure my lights are working. I even keep a spare bulb in my rear compartment. I hate dealership shops...HID's on the way if this happens again.

Took car to dealership for oil change, and asked them what they had heard and if there was a TSB. Of course they denied ...
There isn't yet a TSB on this issue. However, the new May 2007 Subaru TechTIPS newsletter has a brief article concerning headlight bulb replacements. I don't know whether or not it's about this problem, though.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/displayPDFDesc.jsp?doc_id=189283

Opie?

Archived