LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

FWIW I had DRL's on my old toyota, and also used Silverstars and many other brand of bulbs. No matter how expensive or cheap they were, they would all burn out between 3 and 6 months of use.

GL

X

---

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Driver's side died at about 13K miles and the passenger at 27,000 miles. Right rear went at 26,000K miles (?) and another unusual scenario where the light on the radio and HVAC was out for about 3 days and then came back on by itself. The radio and HVAC worked, just the light was out. All other dash lights were operative. Demonic possession?

Hello, everyone.

I work at a Subie dealership.....here goes, in 05 Legacies they had orange backings on the headlight bulbs, they blew very frequently, subaru covered them under warranty(3 yr/36k mi.), but replaced them with "long-life" blue backing bulbs, which we haven't had any return yet with the blue backs, although many people are showing up with aftermarket bulbs that blow more frequently like the orange backs. If you are still in 3/36 go to subaru, and if you have an orange back, they should change both to blue backs which will last alot longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Both headlights burned out when I drove the car off the lot at 202 miles.

Drivers side headlight just burned out again at 23k miles.

It's under warranty still, but I'm going HIDs anyway, I don't need to be buying new headlights every 10-20k miles.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

After going through maybe 10 headlights in a year (!!!) the problem seems to have gone away. The problem seems to have stopped after having the ECU replaced per the TSB for the auxilliary fan that won't shut off.

Has anyone else noticed this as well?

18k...sitting at girlfriend's parents place with car running, and watched (in her mom's Forester L.L. Bean Ed wagon door) the driver's side go out and 10 sec later the passenger's side. Called up Subie dealer outside of Portland at the mall, and they got me in right away, dropped us at the mall to shop for Christmas, picked us back up in an hour, put it under warrenty and offered us some drinks...talk about service. Tech said it was a bad batch in the 2005 model year...imagine that on a dark and scary backroad in the middle of nowhere :iam: ...So, they put a new set of 07's in...no problem yet but switching over to HID's!!!

I haven't had 4 bulbs go yet, but I hope you don't mind my input. I recently replaced my 97 gt sedan which blew bulbs more than it needed an oil change(or so it seemed) for an 05 gt wagon with 11k. Not sure if the bulbs had ever been replaced before so I won't bitch too much yet, but sure enough within 5k of owning it one already went. Planet Subaru in Ma. was great I stopped in during work and they did both for me within a 1/2 hr I was impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

yes i'm resurrecting this thread ...

i just had both bulbs burn out in the last couple days. called the dealer and they said there's a bulletin and that they'll replace them free in about 5 minutes. you can't beat that kind of service ... though now i have to drive 30 minutes to the dealer.

Passenger side low beam just went out today. 17,777 miles. :mad: figures this would happen 1 day before somebody will be coming by to possibly buy the car.

are these really covered under warranty? (maybe I'll make a new thread)

My driver's side light went out today - same exact mileage as you had when your's went out.

Driver's side out (first time) at 38k miles. 2 years, 4 months. (DRL's disabled since new.)

Replaced with just the basic Sylvania H7 bulb, which from the front of the car just doesn't look quite as bright as the OEM bulb on the pass side. We'll see. I was careful not to touch the glass bulb while installing it.

EDIT: Turns out I had reversed the polarity when I installed the new bulb, which is why it was dim. I pulled it out, turned it 180, re-installed it and it's nice and bright now.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived