LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
I have 05 Subaru Legacy GT LTD and just got Headlight Bulb out on the driver's side at 13K mi. Is it covers by waranty?

Take it to the dealer. I had problems with low beam headlight and center break light. They have repalced the headlights thrice and fully replaced the center break light .

'05 Legacy, one year old, 12K, drivers side headlight out. Dealer replaced under warranty. I tried to get them to replace both but they wouldn't replace the good one. Bet it goes next week!

Dealer is aware of the problem and replaced mine with new "German" blubs :lol:

Guess we will see how long these last...

Probably not very long. My driver side failed last night. My total run time on the stock (Philips Germany) bulbs is around 100 hours. Judging by the way the filament looks there was some sort of massive overvoltage condition..... probably explains why my ecu fan relay driver toasted a few months ago. I think it is time for me to drive around with a DSO hooked up to see what kind of crap is coming out of the alternator.

...Hope you caught my jest in my statement of the bulbs origin. You guys have me a little worried about my automotive choice though. The LGT only has 15k on it at this point. Other than both headlights burning out in the same week, and having to replace the horribly week OE brake pads (I'm not pleased in my aftermarket choice either), it has been a nice car.

I guess the little critters are building webs on the bulbs too. WTF :icon_mad: what kind of crappy design/assembly could cause this? I've gone through 5 cars so far and none of them had spider problems like this. Subaru Canada better warranty this one..... there's no way in hell a spider that big should be able to get into my headlight through the vent tubes. I bet there's a huge hole somewhere on the housing.

spider.thumb.jpg.00c3b7ab315b539654be35c4fc9bba4a.jpg

Well folks, I would like to report that i've changed 6 bulbs in the past year. The last one being yesterday at 33,301 miles. I found out that it was burnt out thanks to being Pulled Over TWICE(only ticketed once) in a matter of 2 miles. First a town cop pulls me over and writes me a fix-it ticket and then a State Trooper pulls me over. The State trooper let me go without a ticket b/c I showed him the first one.

I do have to say that it was pretty funny though! Well, I got the light replaced and the tickets dropped yesterday.

On another(same topic) note, I got a ticket b/c both of my rear license plate lights were out also. That was also taken care of.

Driver side went 4 days ago. 7500 miles. Dealer fit me in this morning.

Got an oil change, drivers/passenger bulbs were replaced with "updated" bulbs and new wipers all around in under an hour. I was astonished to say the least.

Well Sebberry, The last time I checked there aren't any auto parts stores that are open at 3am. If you find one let us know:)

They were both working when I arrived at the club/bar, when I left, one was dead. No humiliation, no neglect, no embarassment. As i said before, it was actually pretty funny.

Yeah, I have thought about those situations too so now carry one spare bulb at all times knowing I'll be needing it and probably at a time / place it won't be easily found. So if a person had 2 out and it's night time isn't that a vehicle safety issue? Wouldn't this be a big concern to the transportation safety folks? Wondering who / when someone puts this in as a federal safety issue and forces those in denial at Subaru of America to face up and implement the technical solution. This is not just about bulbs, there's clearly more to the story. Wondering what a mass mailing to SOA from all the pissed off owners would do? (what if we told em no more Suby's if they can't do the right thing with regard to this?) Hhmmm?

Well folks, I would like to report that i've changed 6 bulbs in the past year. The last one being yesterday at 33,301 miles. I found out that it was burnt out thanks to being Pulled Over TWICE(only ticketed once) in a matter of 2 miles. First a town cop pulls me over and writes me a fix-it ticket and then a State Trooper pulls me over. The State trooper let me go without a ticket b/c I showed him the first one.

I do have to say that it was pretty funny though! Well, I got the light replaced and the tickets dropped yesterday.

On another(same topic) note, I got a ticket b/c both of my rear license plate lights were out also. That was also taken care of.

Officers of the law need more to do in your neck of the woods.

It is still ugly.

Yeah, I have thought about those situations too so now carry one spare bulb at all times knowing I'll be needing it and probably at a time / place it won't be easily found. So if a person had 2 out and it's night time isn't that a vehicle safety issue? Wouldn't this be a big concern to the transportation safety folks? Wondering who / when someone puts this in as a federal safety issue and forces those in denial at Subaru of America to face up and implement the technical solution. This is not just about bulbs, there's clearly more to the story. Wondering what a mass mailing to SOA from all the pissed off owners would do? (what if we told em no more Suby's if they can't do the right thing with regard to this?) Hhmmm?

:whore:

It is still ugly.

Well Sebberry, The last time I checked there aren't any auto parts stores that are open at 3am. If you find one let us know:)

They were both working when I arrived at the club/bar, when I left, one was dead. No humiliation, no neglect, no embarassment. As i said before, it was actually pretty funny.

A lot of Wal-Marts are open 24 hours a day. They have a pretty good selection of basic auto needs. Personally I hate the place, but Target quit carrying most car things except fuzzy steering wheel covers and cell phone car-cords. Plus they aren't open 24 hours.

It is still ugly.

Archived