LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you guys noticed the same with the fog lights? I just changed the head light bulb, and noticed that both fog lights were out as well. What the hell is up with Subaru and its crappy lighting system?

-Tom

What the hell is up with Subaru and its crappy lighting system?

Is it Subaru cars or more likely crappy, cheap a$$, low-bid bulb suppliers? Everybody wants everything as cheap as possible, and what do you get...cheap crap.

It is still ugly.

Is it Subaru cars or more likely crappy, cheap a$$, low-bid bulb suppliers? Everybody wants everything as cheap as possible, and what do you get...cheap crap.

Had a Toyota with DRL's, same thing, burnt bulbs every 9-12 months, no matter what type of bulb I would purchase (PIAA, SilverStars, OEM, Cheap blue coated bulbs from ebay). I blamed it on the DRL's and running lower power to the lights.

X

---

Had a Toyota with DRL's, same thing, burnt bulbs every 9-12 months, no matter what type of bulb I would purchase (PIAA, SilverStars, OEM, Cheap blue coated bulbs from ebay). I blamed it on the DRL's and running lower power to the lights.

X

Many of us with the same problems have the DRL's disabled...

'05 Legacy, one year old, 12K, drivers side headlight out. Dealer replaced under warranty. I tried to get them to replace both but they wouldn't replace the good one. Bet it goes next week!

Almost correct, passenger side went out tonight!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my 2nd bulb burned out last week or the week before. In the more than 1 week since it burned out, I've not yet driven the car at night, but that will probably change tomorrow night. So I finally got a chance to stop by the dealer at lunch today to pick up a replacement.

What pisses me off isn't as much that I have to buy a bulb again, but that the two times that I've had a bulb burn out (1st at 19,xxx miles, second at 27,xxx miles), the dealer asks me why I'm not just bringing it in under warranty.

Maybe, just maybe, because it takes your damn shop a half hour to 45 minutes to process the god damned claim for the warranty on a freaking light bulb that I can change out in the parking lot in 5 minutes! It's hard enough for me to find the time to get over to the dealer to pick up a replacement to begin with, let alone a time when the service department is open and able to do a simple bulb replacement but amazingly still need me to drop off my car to complete.

Subaru - you suck! You sourced a faulty bulb, and you make it difficult to get replaced. Here's a wild idea ... if you want to improve service on a part of which THOUSANDS are failing and it's a known issue, then send out replacements to the dealer with a simple form for reimbursement that only requires the approximate mileage on the car and the customer's signature. At least then I'd have my defective parts replaced under warranty. Instead, I've spent $50 on bulbs that may or may not fail again.

/rant

• 4 weeks later...

Had both headlights burn out (at the same time???) a few days ago. Had to double check a few times since I just bought the car 6 months ago...car is currently at 22,000 miles. I figured I hit a button/switch inside the car which disabled the DRLs and even verified all the fuses were good....then, found this thread and began to realize it's just something I'll have to deal with as long as I own the Subie.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to take it up to the Shitty-Dealership here in Ft Campbell, KY or just buy a new set of bulbs myself and install in the parking lot.

Thinking more and more about HIDs :)

I decided to go ahead and change the bulbs myself. Picked up a 2-pack of SilverSides at AutoZone for $36.00

SilverSides are a few shades whiter than the foglights but not so much that it looks bad. I think they are slightly brighter, too.

A good choice all around in my opinion and very easy to install.

I lost one, but I think its because i was doing some welding on the car (no, no Mad Max style obxt, just some exhaust work).

Which made me wonder if all these burned out headlights aren't the result of some grounding problem in the wiring harness?

And you guys hate DRLs...it allows me the check if my bulbs are working when I am stopped behind big-a$$ trucks with chrome bumpers. I can see the reflection of the lights and stop and buy a new bulb (if need be) before nightfall. :icon_bigg
It is still ugly.

Why are you paying for the bulbs? Aren't they covered by 3/36,000 warranty?

It's not worth my time to go to the dealership to wait an hour to get a free bulb.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to say that I can tell a new model Subaru from way off during the day, because more often than not they are one eyed. Pull the daylight running lights! 16K miles and still have original set.

Edit - not making any assumptions, claims or suggestions that DRL have anything to do with bulbs burning out. Just looks sad...to see so many one eyes.

Could cut and paste from one of my replies 100 pages back, but wont. Subaru has a problem. Give them a couple years to do a recall. They did on our 97 LGT ... in 2000 finally for faulty alternator that provided irregular power. Lots of bulbs had to die to make this recall. New alternator...never a bulb killed ;-)

Archived