LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had cars with DRL's before (non-subaru) and there is a clear reason why this happens. When the lightbulb is run at lower wattage it does not allow the filament to warm up to regular temperatures and since it does not run efficiently enough it burns out prematurely. I went through at least 20 sets of bulbs on my old car, and it was all due to the DRL's. My friend who had the same car disabled his DRL's and he never had any issues. be nice to know if the people that have the DRL's disabled here have any problems with them.

I will be going the HID route as soon as I get my shipment from RPM. I did some research on this problem, and I found this answer on a website which I can't remember now. Anyway, that was what I found out.

So it seems like DRL's = premature light burnout.

X

---

Both my headlights failed in the first 10K, dealer replaced both of them under warranty and told me alot of the early Legacy's had the same problem due to a poor quality buld used in assembly, since then they changed over to a better supplier.

Done another 40K since then and had no problems at all.

Both my headlights failed in the first 10K, dealer replaced both of them under warranty and told me alot of the early Legacy's had the same problem due to a poor quality buld used in assembly, since then they changed over to a better supplier.

Done another 40K since then and had no problems at all.

KM's, right?

• 4 weeks later...

I've also heard this too on other vehicles. I lost both bulbs within 10k (disabled DRLs about that time). No problems since, with silverstars @ 25k.

I had cars with DRL's before (non-subaru) and there is a clear reason why this happens. When the lightbulb is run at lower wattage it does not allow the filament to warm up to regular temperatures and since it does not run efficiently enough it burns out prematurely. I went through at least 20 sets of bulbs on my old car, and it was all due to the DRL's. My friend who had the same car disabled his DRL's and he never had any issues. be nice to know if the people that have the DRL's disabled here have any problems with them.

I will be going the HID route as soon as I get my shipment from RPM. I did some research on this problem, and I found this answer on a website which I can't remember now. Anyway, that was what I found out.

So it seems like DRL's = premature light burnout.

X

The first set (both) at less than 10k miles. I replaced those on my own and then the second time I went to the dealer and had them replace both. Last week at 36k miles just replaced the passenger side. This week the drivers side went out but I played around with the bulb and it came back on but I am sure it's on its way out.

Passenger side low beam just went out today. 17,777 miles. :mad: figures this would happen 1 day before somebody will be coming by to possibly buy the car.

are these really covered under warranty? (maybe I'll make a new thread)

...are these really covered under warranty? (maybe I'll make a new thread)

Yup, my passenger side burnt out on monday, the car had 32k, went to the dealer, anything under 36k, warranty replacement!!

tah dah!

~Sucka-Duck~

Yup, my passenger side burnt out on monday, the car had 32k, went to the dealer, anything under 36k, warranty replacement!!

tah dah!

Well, if I don't sell the car tomorrow, looks like I'm stopping by the dealer on Monday :)

Thanks for responding!

Just replaced another bulb at about 36k miles...Purchased it from Autozone. The light didnt seem bright very dull and orangey low glow. So I just dropped it off at dealership. he explained they had a "bad batch" but this is my 5th bulb. the 2nd set was replaced by the dealership and those burn out already. he also mentioned its due to drl. at least its covered.

On Friday my second headlight bulb burned out. The driver's side went at 13k and the passenger's at 15k.

The headlights are on all the time, as they are on my '93. That car has required one headlight bulb replacement in 120k miles.

Each headlight was found not to be working shortly after I opened the hood to check the oil. When I close the hood I drop it from about eight inches' height. Can it be that hood-closing technique has something to do with short bulb life?

Archived