LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet!! So I figured I would email Subaru about the headlights...of course not expecting any relevant or useful answer from them but here is the response.

My Email:

I just wanted to comment on what could be a major safety issue with the Subaru Legacy headlights going out. Both going out at the same time could be bad. 2005 Legacy GT. I only have one issue and that is with the frequent need to replace headlights. I went looking for an answer and the link below is a list of people having the same issue.

Please advise as if there is anything that can be done http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12570&page=36

The answer I expected:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site. I am sorry that your e-mail was prompted by a concern regarding your Subaru.

We are not in a position to diagnose your vehicle without a hands-on inspection. I suggest that you speak to your dealership's Service Manager and explain your situation. He would be in a better position to evaluate your concerns.

If you have any questions regarding this response, please call us at 1-800-SUBARU-3 (1-800-782-2783) and refer to you SR # above. This will expedite the handling of your call.

Sincerely,

Matthew Seiler

Customer Dealer Services

I think everyone on this site should email CustDlrServices@subaru.com and complain. Of course you will all get the same answers.

Ya Got to love it!!

Well, I think I'm about to make the switch to HIDs. Last night my second headlight bulb burned out in two days. I dont understand what the deal is with these bulbs, but with foglight and headlight count I'm sitting on eight bulbs burning out in less than a year in a half.

• 2 weeks later...
05 LGT LTD with 73k. Had bulbs #7 and #8 burn out this morning at the same time. Thankfully, my trunkmonkey was on call and had a 2 pack of H7 bulbs in stock. I was able to use my new found skill of replacing bulbs. In under 5 minutes. At 5:00am. In the dark.

i work in auto parts. the design of the H7 bulb is not good. it doesnt allow for heat to dispurse quickly and ends up burning the element up quicker than a bulb with larger glass. a lot of european cars and various motorcycles use H7 bulbs, so i see them quite often buying replacement bulbs.

i'd only had my car since december '07 and didnt like that they burned out on my first thing. so i went with and HID setup. problem fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
i work in auto parts. the design of the H7 bulb is not good. it doesnt allow for heat to dispurse quickly and ends up burning the element up quicker than a bulb with larger glass..........

So true. A long-life H7 bulb is rated at 930 hours, a long-life 9005 bulb is 1500 hours, and a standard H7 is 500 hours.

http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/LL_Headlamp.pdf

You we're right. I was wrong. Put in a set of Silverstars and less in then a year my drivers side is out. I'm sorry I doubted you. Please forgive me.

I liked the brighter, whiter light of Sukustars, but they should last alot longer then that. What do I get to replace them and still have that crisp bright light? Your thoughts?

I think everyone on this site should email CustDlrServices@subaru.com and complain. Of course you will all get the same answers.

Ya Got to love it!!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.9fee1be6b2b2000bc22cf37490008a0c/

^ We should contact these people instead. They love safety issues. I contacted them about my F250 cam positioning sensor which would cause the truck to just die without warning. It took over a year but I got a recall letter from Ford and a refund from them as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Surrender. Something is very wrong with the '05 low beam design. Subaru is NOT GOING TO FIX / ADMIT IT. Go with HID's and be done with the problem.

I went thru 8 bulbs before I found relief. Unless you enjoy this BS , give up.

This was the only issue with my car , and now its gone.

Come over to the Light Side.

How many of you that lost bulbs really early have your headlights on all the time (i.e when you're starting up your car your headlights are turn to on?) I've heard that doing this will shorten the life of the bulb because once the engine fires up it will shoot a current through the lights stronger than what they are supposed to handle...

How many of you that lost bulbs really early have your headlights on all the time (i.e when you're starting up your car your headlights are turn to on?) I've heard that doing this will shorten the life of the bulb because once the engine fires up it will shoot a current through the lights stronger than what they are supposed to handle...

I think this has merit ^^^

Every time my bulbs burn out , its when I first start the car with the lights on

From now on I will turn them off with the ignition

• 2 weeks later...
That sounds valid. I've only had my car for 5 months (2005 Outback) and so far so good, but usually turn the lights off before the ignition. I'll make sure I keep doing that. BTW, the previous owner had the owners manual marked on the bulb page (11-74) with a post it note showing which light bulbs to use. Not sure how long these have been in there so will have spares on hand just in case.

• 1 month later...
37,000 miles 2 1/2 years old always drive / leave my lights and fogs on. Both the fogs finally went out within a day of each other.

Must be because you have a Spec B :)

just kidding. :p So you leave your headlights and fogs on ALL the time? including during startup?

I am tempted to argue against using Silverstars. I was going through 2 - 3 pair a year. The last time, I figured I'd buy the cheapest set available (and go with a D Stern option).

The generics have now lasted me 1 year (and I'm sure I have put a curse on myself).

My first finally went at 55K miles. I've had DRL disabled since about 7K. I replaced both with basic Sylvanias. Maybe I should have gone for the Osram Rallye 65W, but I needed a bulb quickly. Well, the new bulbs do seem a bit brighter/whiter than the aging stock bulbs, so I'm not unhappy.

My PIAAs lasted maybe a month (I don't touch the glass). Tried silverstars and they lasted about two months. Back to stock bulbs (haven't had one go yet). Mine's an '08 and yes I do leave my headlight switch to on. If I get pissed off enough I'll look into that theory that there's a spike when starting the car and come up with a solution.

Listening to another podcast of Car Talk this AM and an OWB onwer called in to complain and, ask for help.

He did a voltage check, on jus tthe batery and whiel starting the car. Per Click and Clack, his readins were within spec for the bulbs (10 - 14.3 v).

One of them commented that Volvos burn through a lot of bulbs.

The advice given was to not touch the bulbs while replacing them - not very useful we all follow that instruction.

Their thought was that the bulb housing might get too hot and shorten bulb life.

Basically, no answer.

Archived