LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
Disabled them and every 6 months or on the coldest dark rainy night on the turnpike they go out. I keep a few in the trunk for such an occasion. One of these days HIDs but I have to worry about keeping the car on the road and not the jack stands more.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been swapping bulbs about annually (not by choice) since I got the car in 2005.

First ones went both at the same time about 14k, currently have 110k on it.

I've tried different bulb models and found the ones that produce the least amount of light last the longest. They were so weak I was WANTING them to burn out.

Pretty ridiculous Subaru hasn't acknowledged the problem.

Between the bulbs blowing and the worst shifting auto transmission ever I'm surprised I've kept the car this long.

I've been watching these headlightposts since I bought my GT in June of '05. Had both bulbs replaced under warranty after one went out in '08. Haven't replaced one since, but I'm sure I will need to soon, considering it's been almost four years. I'm wondering if this problem is more prevalent in areas with more humid weather.

• 8 months later...

i have an outback wagon 2011 but my search brought me here so here are my facts.

LH low beam drivers side replaced 10/4/11 at 19,950 miles, car 8 months old :confused:

RF headlight replaced passenger side - same bulb as above 84920ag020 on 1/18/12 at 28,616 miles, car 11 months old:confused:

LH headlight replaced - same bulb as above 10/11/12 at 51,306 miles i did not note on my paper if this was driver or passenger buthas same LH word as last oct. one. 20 months old :mad:

going to dealer next friday as another light is out. actually a few of them. i believe on the pass side the middle light is out between large dble bulb light and flasher and on the driver side both bulbs in the large light are out. won't know bulb numbers till get them replaced. car has about 57,000 when all lights noticed out. tail light out too since nov, getting that replaced too. :mad:

Since you're out of the bumper to bumper, I'm assuming that you're paying them to replace them? Don't. None of the bulbs, front or rear are that bad. Yeah, it's a PITA, but for the trouble of having to go to the dealer, pay them, etc. you could go down to your local auto parts store, buy a replacement and stick it in yourself. It'll probably be done quicker, and without a doubt cheaper. The hardest one I've done so far as the passenger fog lamp and that was because I didn't want to have to take off the bumper, fender or under body protection.

Interestingly enough, my light bulb consumption has slowed over the last couple of years. I think that it's because I'm buying cheaper bulbs... seriously. I buy the plain jane Sylvania bulbs now.

unfortunately the options i have found on my year model to replace the bulbs require taking apart 1/2 the engine compartment or removing the tires which is not quick, for me anyway. i'll google search to see if i find someone who has another method on utube or something but even the dealership takes off the tires to replace them. they aren't happy about it because it backs up their other work when they use to be able to change the lights in the parking lot while other cars were in the shop.

Subaru sells a better bulb. I'm sure it's referenced way back in this thread by me.

Also check out

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/daniel-stern-lighting-and-subaru-headlight-options-45991.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Archived