LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Make mine 8 bulbs (2005), I just blew one last night. I replaced with the silverstar ultras this time, supposed to last 30% longer. They are bright as hell. Every time though they have pretty much gone out in tandem within 2 weeks of each other. Makes me think there's nothing wrong.

I put those in about 2 months ago, the store had stocked out of the regular Silverstars. It's next to the Subaru dealer so, no surprise...

I think I am going to try the 65 W Rallyes, some seem to have had luck with them. I just got to get around to ordering them now since, they don't seem to be available via local retail stores.

So much for Silverstar Ultras. Just lost one last night so, these lasted 2 months versus (maybe) 6 months for the cheap OEM replacement Silverstars.

BTW, they always blow out when turning the headlights on...

I knew I should have pre-ordered the Rallyes.

So much for Silverstar Ultras. Just lost one last night so, these lasted 2 months versus (maybe) 6 months for the cheap OEM replacement Silverstars.

The dealership replaced my first bad bulb under warranty. Whatever they replaced it with is something that looks yellow. It is probably cheap, but I've went through two Silverstars since the el cheapo was installed at the dealership. This last bulb I installed was not the top of the line Silverstar (Walmart was out). So, maybe it will last longer. We'll see.

By the way, I blew my last Silverstar about 3 months after installing it (with latex gloves) and doing the DRL disable later during the same day. So, the DRL disable may have helped, but it didn't CURE anything either.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple months ago I bought a pair of silver stars at Walmart because one of my OEM had burned out, and guess what, they lasted about 2 months! I put the original OEM back in with a standard bulb.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My front left side fog light burnt 3 times. First time was after 45Kms, then i replaced it and two weeks later it had burnt up again. I asked the dealer service department to check what was wrong and they said nothing was wrong and sold me another bulb. Two weeks or so later it was gone again. I went back and they ordered a replacement light unit under warranty from Japan which took 3 or so weeks.

Never had any problem afterwards.

i bought my car with about 15k miles on it...i have 32k on it now and tonight i just put in my 3rd driver side bulb. have replaced the passenger side twice. fog lights have been good so far though.

Mine is still on only the 2nd set of headlight bulbs...now at 60k. Have you guys that are blowing bulbs regularly had the electrical system tested? Surging voltage caused by a bad alternator or battery (or both) could cause premature bulb failure.

Mine is still on only the 2nd set of headlight bulbs...now at 60k. Have you guys that are blowing bulbs regularly had the electrical system tested? Surging voltage caused by a bad alternator or battery (or both) could cause premature bulb failure.

+1

what bulbs are being used by everyone?

With an exception here or there, almost always 05's.

:confused: What did Subaru change after '05 to fix the " '05 Problem" If they know they wont say. Seems to me it should have been a safety recall its so common and excessive.

I'm only guessing that who ever supplies alternators changed or, tightened the spec on the voltage regulator. Blowing headlights is a classic symptom - ever owned a European motorcycle (uh, that's a bit of a generalization)?

It could be something else.

• 1 month later...

This is annoying.. my left headlight burnt out yesterday as I was about to drive home from my parents place 3 hrs away.

I stopped to pee at a gas station at the half way point, and when I started up the right side died.

I was driving back on fogs... at night. I was scared some cop was gonna pull me over. Gonna have to start carrying spares now.

Was this issue ever resolved?

Archived