LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

Indeed and I finally got off my a$$ and de-activated the stupid DRL's, we'll see if that makes any difference.

It didn't make much difference for me, but I did considerable night driving.

$125 HIDs much cheaper in the long run.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It didn't make much difference for me, but I did considerable night driving.

$125 HIDs much cheaper in the long run.

$125 for HID's eh? Katsuro kit I presume?

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm up to 5 headlights and 1 fog now...wierd thing is, it didn't happen till about 40k miles, after teh computer upgrade. Since then one has been blowing about every month. Tried silverstars...no luck, i'm back to cheepies now, we'll see if they last longer. If these don't get me through the next 3 months i'm going for HID's. Who here has had a fog light go out? And how hard are they to change, i just lost a fog last weekend and still haven't replaced it yet.

Now if i could just get my ac drain issue solved i'd be all set.

^ I actually do carry a spare - two spares, to tell the truth. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Update : I'm not throwing a party yet.....but....

My bent /extra snug low beam spring trick and a bead of silicone on the low beam flange has given me the longest time yet for bulb life yet. I have not blown a bulb in 6 months and counting. Normal has been 3 months max.

A ticket for it? What do they expect you to do? pull over and call a tow truck for a "safe ride home"...

Maybe just carry a spare.. :S

I can get the ticket voided by going to the sheriff's office and having one of them inspect my newly installed, functioning bulb within 3 business days. I won't have to pay a fine, just go through a little more hassle.

I had another one blow yesterday sometime. I actually got a ticket for it! I thought I had gotten pulled over for speeding.

This is my third blown low beam bulb in 36,000 miles.

time to get some HIDs

I'm beginning to think that normal life expectancy, because of the DRL's, is somewhere between 30k and 36k.

I did the DRL disable (disconnected the connector) before I changed out the bulb that just blew. That bulb only lasted me 2 months! So, I don't think it is the DRL's. It may be the problem for some cars, but not mine. Damnit!

By the way... The bulb that just blew was a Sylvania Silverstar H7ST (don't think it was the H7SU). This past Saturday, I bought an H7ST at Walmart, because they didn't have the highest end model, the H7SU. It is $5 price difference at Walmart, $20 versus $25.

I've followed this thread for a while since, I am also a member. It seems to be a problem with certain '05 cars but not everyone.

I don't think it is Sylvania bulbs, around here it's about the only type sold in the auto parts stores. if it were, they'd have massive (more than just us '05 Subie drivers) returns and have found some other supplier.

I keep coming back to a faulty voltage regulator getting into some of the '05 production models. Again, there does not seem to be a huge frequency of issues with anything later than an '05.

Lol, the day I picked up my car (1week ago) it blew a bulb as the salesman was driving it out of the garage. The g/f '05 legacy has blown 2 bulbs in the past 15k. Waiting, hoping, mine is alright or I'll go HID

If your car blew a bulb already, I'm sure you got a bulb eater too

Face the facts man! :lol:

Archived