LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd just like to chime in on this thread. I actually work for Sylvania although not at the plant that makes car headlamps. I do know though that the quality control for automotive headlamps is absolutely ridiculous. The last thing a car maker wants is for the customer to bring back the car for maintenance over something as silly as a burnt bulb. As a result they put an exorbitant amount of pressure on Sylvania to push for quality. Last I checked for OEM lamps the allowable failure rate is 1 per million.

Sylvania also works a LOT with auto makers to make sure the standard lamps work in new enclosures. I know there were several projects done to figure out why bulbs kept failing in certain new model Fords.

Anyway, point being if you're getting more than two bulb failures in a years time then you really should be checking the electrical and the enclosure that houses it. Subaru obviously puts a lot of faith in whatever brand they stick in there because at least on my Subaru the bumper has to come off to even replace the damn things. Must be a miserable experience for those needing to constantly replace them...

My two cents...

I'd just like to chime in on this thread. I actually work for Sylvania although not at the plant that makes car headlamps. I do know though that the quality control for automotive headlamps is absolutely ridiculous. The last thing a car maker wants is for the customer to bring back the car for maintenance over something as silly as a burnt bulb. As a result they put an exorbitant amount of pressure on Sylvania to push for quality. Last I checked for OEM lamps the allowable failure rate is 1 per million.

Sylvania also works a LOT with auto makers to make sure the standard lamps work in new enclosures. I know there were several projects done to figure out why bulbs kept failing in certain new model Fords.

Anyway, point being if you're getting more than two bulb failures in a years time then you really should be checking the electrical and the enclosure that houses it. Subaru obviously puts a lot of faith in whatever brand they stick in there because at least on my Subaru the bumper has to come off to even replace the damn things. Must be a miserable experience for those needing to constantly replace them...

My two cents...

Its not bulb brand issue. If you have this problem it does not matter what brand you use... they burn out around every three months.

And ,yes it does suck to do this all the time.

I've had my car 7.5 months now and know the bulbs had been replaced before I purchased it. The previous owner had bookmarked the owners manual page where the type of bulbs are listed. I haven't had one go out yet and still have DRL enabled. I have no idea what brand bulbs are in there, just know they may go out any day (but not so far). I turn off my headlight switch before turning off the car so they don't come on while trying to start the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I lost another one this weekend. I am done. I will be installing the Volt 4300K HID kit tomorrow when UPS arrives.

Dang Subaru, Turbos, Pickup tubes, Headlights seem to be a common problem with these cars and NOTHING is done but the famous.

"We will do this for a one time gesture..."

I swear we need to file a complaint with NHTSC.

150 Km's so far and I have replaced bulbs 3 times already. I've tried expensive and cheap ones. I buy cheap now because all fail for me. I guess it is just something to live with. Not hard to change though. DTR does put an extra strain on them.

I work in sales, so the car is used all the time. My latest bulbs (2 weeks ago) are now 3000k YELLOW! A little getting used to, but I think it is cool.

On a side note, my fog lights burn up quickly as well. Am switching them to LED.

It's unexplanable. I am over a year now on cheap generic headligh bulbs after going though a ~ 2 - 3 replacements per year using Silverstars - regular or long life, it didn't matter.

Silverstars are rubbish. They're brighter because they run hotter, which significantly diminishes their lifespan. You get the cool look but they don't last nearly as long as plain old bulbs.

I went thru a few sets in a 6 month window. I was tempted to get the top ones but the said lifespan was crap right on the box. I buy them in 2's and keep a spare for my roadtrips. I do hate realigning them. Hopefully hids soon.

Just get H.I.D's and be done with it. Period.

+1

I had the same problem. I went through like 3 bulbs in a 6 month span, 1 in one headlight 2 in the other. Then when I had the chance I installed HID's.

2 years and running. Never have had to replace a bulb since.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought my LGT used a year ago, and my passenger side bulb (low beam) went out recently. Within two weeks the driver side went out as well. I also disabled the DRLs several months prior to this, and the car has 52,000. HIDs, here I come!

• 4 weeks later...

Legacy headlights have some notorious problems. The 99-04s have too much heat reflected back to the H1 low beam bulb. The base models with H4 headlights are actually much better.

The 05-on Legacies have short bulb life on low beams because the H7 OE bulbs don't have a very long rated life. Mine was worse when I added relays, they are definitely brighter, but shorter lived. (BTW, add a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor across the relay coils for the high beams, and disconnect the DRL module)

There are H7 long life bulbs out there, and I've had very good luck. I changed the bulbs twice in the first 18 months, I haven't changed the H7LLs yet!

I also put in 9011 high beam bulbs, MUCH brighter! You need to file one of the tabs, takes 30 seconds, to make it fit, worthwhile upgrade.

Bottom line: Get the H7LLs for the present Legacy, painful, but switch to the H4 headlights for the earlier generation. They're better anyway, and you can use 100/80 watt bulbs. But you'll need relays to pull that off.

I also put in 9011 high beam bulbs, MUCH brighter! You need to file one of the tabs, takes 30 seconds, to make it fit, worthwhile upgrade.

These are the HIR's. I use them for high beams too, they are very good, very bright, lights up the road (and everything else around) for a really long distance. Seriously, it's like a 120 degree cone of yellow brightness.

Very cheap, very good investment.

I purchased my '05 LGT four years ago this month. To date, I've had one headlight bulb blow, and that was over a year ago at about 30K miles. Dealer relaced both on warranty with a wink and a nod. I mentioned to the dealer service rep the threads on this site about continually burned out low beam bulbs and asked why I've never had this problem. He said that might happen in high humidity areas of the country, but now I see a member in Alaska has also had the problem.

I guess I'm just lucky and I've never disabled the DRL.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived