LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I put Silverstars in October. I had to replace them (they both went within a week) only 3 months later. I went with regular GE's thinking they would last longer. They only lasted 2 months (again, they both went within a few days). I replaced them with Silverstars and last week, driver's went bye bye again. This is absolutely crazy.

I'm glad I found this thread, and the title made me laugh out loud! Our car is a 2005 and the left side went at 21K and the right side at 23K miles. Each under warranty. I've just discovered that the left side has gone again and the car is at 61K miles, so I guess I've gotten more life than most but this is rather ridiculous. I've also replaced an interior map light (did both for good measure) and the taillight bulbs as well (again, did both at the same time). Due to all the posts, I think I will return the Silverstars I had purchased and planned to install tomorrow and will go with a different manufacturer.... or at least one that's not as expensive.. ..

• 2 months later...
I replaced my OEM's a while back with the Sylvania SilverStar's, not the blinding Ultra's which I hate. They burn out in 90-180 days. I called Sylvania CS to complain, and they said that is the life expectancy of the bulb (sucks) due tho its temperature. In any event, they did oblige and send me another set for FREE. What I do now is just keep taking the bad buld back to Pep's, see how long that lasts. In any event, I'm told once the factory seals surounding any bulb chamber on these vehicles is comprimised, they are just destined to burn out faster (due to handling, moisture and temperature). Utilizing the OEM standard bulbs will provide better life. My dome kept going out, I had to keep adjusting the prongs, I don't know, anyone? it seems to be okay now, however if the bulb is slighly mis-seated no go.

I've only had the car for a few months now, but I have had the passenger side low beam burn out on me already. Disabled the DRL's and upgraded the low and high beam's, hopefully I won't have further issues.

• 4 weeks later...

It is NOT the DRL system!! Given that lifetime of an incandescent bulb at DRL drive levels is measured in years of CONTINUOUS operation, clearly this isn't it. Besides, I've disabled mine, and I'm still losing bulbs at about a pair every 18 months. Best I can tell, the H7, although a VERY efficient bulb, does so at the expense of lifetime. Add to that, Subarus are notorious for reaiming radiated heat back at the bulbs (also a problem with the H1 bulbs on the previous generation Subaru Legacies), and it just means we're in for frequent bulb replacements. Silverstars seem to last the longest for me. I've not found any H7LL bulbs, but if I do, I'll post that!

I've only had the car for a few months now, but I have had the passenger side low beam burn out on me already. Disabled the DRL's and upgraded the low and high beam's, hopefully I won't have further issues.

• 4 weeks later...
Installed a pair of the 65 watt Osrams talked about in the thread on Daniel Stern Lighting. Check back here in about a year for the results. Also got a set of the Toshiba HIRs to replace the high beams (haven't put them in yet). A little over $100 in bulbs through ebay.

One of these burned out a couple days ago. Lasted 2 years, 7 months and 19,159 miles. Just got another pair in the mail today from Candlepower Inc. Hope they last as long. They are having a sale...$47.xx including shipping. And yes, I still have my DRLs working.

It is still ugly.

My passenger side went out the other day (almost 5 years/67,000 miles/DRL never disabled). I replaced it with a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra and was going to do the drivers side to balance the light output, when I noticed there's not really much difference, if any. I know the bulb companies like to recommend replacing both, but they also like selling bulbs.

Passenger side low beam went out the other morning. This is 2nd time on that side since Dec 05. Vehicle is approaching 70k miles. Already changed out driver side once, bought xenon bulbs on ebay this time. I will see how they work out compared to the oem bulbs bought previously at Subaru service......

remember i when i had my gt, it had this same problem until i went to HID lights.

the only thing i've come up with is that the design of the H7 bulbs are bad. the capsule is way too small for the size of the filament, thus creating too much heat and burning the filament up quickly. kind of the same with H3 bulbs. also, the size of the projector housing may have some to do with the H7 bulbs burning out quickly.

i've noticed a lot of cars, euros and asian alike, have this same problem with the H7 bulb. the only solution i have is to go to an HID set up.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have lost count!!! Had another one go out this weekend. I have been buying the two pack since they go out so frequently. I wonder if I can get a Whole Case discount for being a Legacy Owner. Soon the Grocery stores will have the H7 bulbs next to the gum as you check out.

there was some bulbs on ebay that had a 3/5 yr replacement warranty. Can't remember what they were but they lasted in my mazda 6. It was kinda like cliff with the led's, you email them and another set would be in the mail.I have HID's but no time to take the car apart like that nor the adaptor.

• 2 months later...

Archived