LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
In the Aug 2006 copy of Car & Driver mag they talk about this very issue on their 40K mile Long Term Test. Both lights were out on their car at 29K miles. Interesting ... I have a 2006 GT and 2006 OB 2.5i, w/ 15K and 16K miles and no issues yet w/ the lights.

3 Sylvania Bright stars or whatever they are called in less than 2 months. GOnna disable my DRL today itself. Stupid subaru, same problem on my 02 Legacy too. Been through 3 bulbs on that one too recently.

This may be a dumb question... but you all do know that you're NEVER supposed to touch any part of the glass bulb, right?

If you do, the oil from your skin will get on the glass and cause it to overheat. This will cause the bulb to fail VERY prematurely.

Just thought I'd mention it....

This may be a dumb question... but you all do know that you're NEVER supposed to touch any part of the glass bulb, right?

If you do, the oil from your skin will get on the glass and cause it to overheat. This will cause the bulb to fail VERY prematurely.

Just thought I'd mention it....

I wore latex gloves when touching my headlight bulbs. It didn't help me out any. I'd wear the cotton disposable gloves, but I don't have any of those.

I installed HIDs about 4 days ago, because this was supposedly a fix:icon_roll, passenger side went out about 2 days later. Don't waste your money on HIDs until the problem is fixed...I mean the root cause is addressed by SOA. I'm calling the dealer tomorow to see what Subaru is doing about this problem. :mad:

First of all, H7 bulbs do not last long in any car.

Second of all, in no way can you blame an aftermarket (and illegal) HID retrofit on Subaru.

I had the driver's side bulb replaced at about 20,000 miles 2 years ago (warranty). Subsequently, had the cooling fan/relays recall performed, which was supposedly the cause of the bulb blow-ups. Never had the desire or need to disable the DRLs (which I think are a good safety feature).

My 2005 GT Wagon now is 3 years and 2 months old, has 45,000 miles and I have a 2-pack of H7s sitting on the shelf in anticipation....but the bulbs are hanging in there.

bluesuby, you have an interesting result that makes a lot of sense. If the cooling fans and headlights have a common ground point on the chassis, I could see a connection during fan startup and shutdown dealing with current inrush and spikes.

Luckily (knock on wood) I have 21K and ~2yrs on the clock w/o one headlight issue. I will now have to dig through my service manual files and see what the schematics show, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

05 Legacy GT with the computer replacement for the fan problem. Just today my 7th bulb burned out and I came across this thread. I've been using silverstars as replacements every time. I have 60K on the car and never disabled the DRLs although I'm about to. I just upgraded to the silverstar ultras supposed to be 30% longer life. I'm very careful not to touch any bulb. I'm pissed that I've read that these are covered under warranty. I'm calling tomorrow to verify. This seems so excessive but I have been chalking it up to just the high powered halogen lights and the DRLs on at all times.

bluesuby, you have an interesting result that makes a lot of sense. If the cooling fans and headlights have a common ground point on the chassis, I could see a connection during fan startup and shutdown dealing with current inrush and spikes.

Luckily (knock on wood) I have 21K and ~2yrs on the clock w/o one headlight issue. I will now have to dig through my service manual files and see what the schematics show, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I have gone thru 9 bulbs on my '05 and have not had any issues with cooling fans. So for my'05 the Bulb / Fan connection is not there.

Right side driving light has gone out twice since the Subie body shop took off the front bumper to repaint the left front of the vehicle.

Mentioned it during the 30,000 mile service last Wednesday and they replaced both the driving light bulbs and said they'd refund me for the one bulb I bought last time at Auto Zone.

Any ideas?

I have gone thru 9 bulbs on my '05 and have not had any issues with cooling fans. So for my'05 the Bulb / Fan connection is not there.

I was only theorizing on the connection between the two, there may not be one. I could also believe that it is connected to the DRL's. Any time you send a voltage to a bulb that is designed for a specific voltage you will get a decreased life from it. From some conversations I have had the Silverstars do not have a long life expectancy to begin with, so they likely aren't the best option if you keep your DRL's active.

If you want to learn something about auto lighting, check out this website:

http://danielsternlighting.com/

I have purchased products and chatted with Daniel via e-mail several times. He really does know his s*** and is helpful. He may be able to explain our Legacy lighting issues, as I have a feeling we aren't the only cars with the short life problem that use the low beams for DRL's.

Archived