LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

I always carry spare headlights - for all of my vehicles. :)

Glad you got where you needed to go, safely. That sucks!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Driver's side went two days ago. 1st time offender here @ 2.5 yrs & 23K. Is it even worth going to the dealer for this, or should I just by silverstars and call it a day?

You can get a pair under warranty and save yourself $25.

Silverstars work as well as any thng you can easily find at the store, I've even tried the Sliverstar long life, they lasted less...

do NOT buy silverstars, they burn out faster. for some reason they don't work well in our cars. just go with oem, or the regular sylvania's. and while your buying one, you might as well buy a spare or two, and throw them in the glove compartment.

You can get a pair under warranty and save yourself $25.

Silverstars work as well as any thng you can easily find at the store, I've even tried the Sliverstar long life, they lasted less...

No kidding - wow! Maybe checking the electrical system like someone on the board recommended is a good idea.

Bought the Sylvania Silverstars (not the "extended life" version) on 2/26/08.

Had my drivers side bulb go out about a week ago (5/1/08) and just returned home to see the passenger side bulb blown today.

I've had these bulbs for barely over 2 months and they're already blown?! I haven't gone through all 33 pages of this thread yet but I sure hope there's a TSB or something for this one.

Back to Advanced Auto Parts to (hopefully) return them.

I had a rusted old black pontiac grand am that never lost a headlight or had any annoying problems in all the years I drove it through mud, brush and over curbs. Now I have a babied $30K car with crappy brakes, a ghost in the radio that lowers & raises the volume on its own, and can't keep a headlight. Go figure?

do NOT buy silverstars, they burn out faster. for some reason they don't work well in our cars. just go with oem, or the regular sylvania's. and while your buying one, you might as well buy a spare or two, and throw them in the glove compartment.

US/Sylvania Silverstars always have been touch-and-go for me.

I've had ones that last 3+ years, and others that barely make it a month, or even less.

Totally variable - no rhyme or reason. :spin:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

you have an 08, the problem isn't as prominent in any year other than the 05's. First model year here in the states. 05 have the majority of the problems so I would say you may be ok for quite a while in your spec B.

Lucky bastard, I am going to do what most have suggested. Buy an upgrade to HID and install them.

^ +1 to that.

And unknown as to the Ultras....I dropped-out of the SilverStars just as the Ultras came to-market, and haven't had enough experience with their various fitments to warrant having any true "opinion" of them. :redface:

If you go back a few pages, most folks who've gotten the 65 W Rallyes have been happy. At least around here, no one stocks them (in fact most stores only carry Silverstars) so it's internet / mail order.

^ I'm actually coming on maybe 9 months with the +65s. I'm going to purchase a second set to serve as backup for when the inevitable happens. :)

I'm tremendously happy with the +65s.

how about the silverstar ultras? I am running those right now (for less than a month). Any idea how long I can expect before they go?

I have a pair standing by waiting for a bulb to blow, but I have had one failure in 3 1/2 years or 49,000 miles (much of which is commuting am or pm with headlights on). Had it replaced under warranty in lieu of changing it in the middle of January.

The ultras are made in Germany if I recall.

Osram SilverStars are generally regarded to be "better" than US-market SilverStars, but I am not sure if there's any true quantitative basis to this, or if it's just general perception.

It could also be that the "Ultras" are just held to a higher standard of Q/C, too, since they do command a premium.....

As a recovering 05 headlight bulb junkie here is some advice. Stop pissing away your money and free time and dont buy any more halogen bulbs.

I went thru too many before I got smart and got zenons. $160 -one time and Im done . Outstanding light, cut off and no more being pissed off every time a bulb blows.

As the Hyundai ad says.....Think about it.

• 3 weeks later...
about to replace my third, driver side this time... and i have a tail light out driver side as well first time on that though. Funny tho the light that is out this time was out for a week or so, them came back for over a month prob and no is out again.. huh mabye if i wait a bit itll come back. very annoying

Archived