LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

My drivers side went out twice with a factory bulb. The dealer said it was an open recall and replace them with something newer and stronger. Have not had an issue in a year.

Note: After market bulbs from auto part stores don't last if you drive at night a lot.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well my first headlight burnt out on my way home from work. Reason i found out was cause i got pulled over... they asked if i had been drinking i said does it look like it"i was in my dirty work clothes and had my lunch box in the car"... lol he said well i guess a good answer would be why your driving with a burnt out headlight. i said really my car only has 19k on it hows that possible. warning.. then my second light bulb burn out on the other side like a month ago at 25k.

My front left side fog lamp bulb burnt out for the fourth time this year. I went to a subaru dealer and they charged me AU$81.00 to replace one. The buld cost AU$25.00 and the rest was labour.:icon_conf

I am not going back to them again?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm gonna hex myself and, I think others have noted this before. Don't use any type of Silverstar (regular or ultra life) bulb as a replacement. After going through 2 - 3 pair a year, I went to a different auto-parts store and bought cheap(er) generics. I've gotten good results so far...

Three passenger side bulbs at 28,000 miles, this is BS. Anyone have any resolutions with Subaru? (Other than trading in the car):spin:

The low beam blow outs ,about every 3 months , were the only problem with my car (05 LGT) I gave up being pissed off and replaced them with

HID's. Far better lighting and actually cheaper than replacing bulbs all the time. Surrender my friend ,you will later wonder why you waiter so long. :rolleyes:

Headlight bulbs are only good on the standard 3/36 B-to-B warranty. With DRLs blown out bulbs are common but everyone knows that already. The best guard against that is the DRL disable.

Disabling will barely help. That has been tried.

'05 now has 33K miles and my first headlight bulb replacement was at 30K. Dealer replaced the other side bulb under warranty at the time.. just because.

When asked about this problem I've continually observered on this forum, the service manager said the problem must be worse in high humidity climates. This dealer also sells/services GM products and said he hasn't seen any more of this problem with Legacy/Outbacks then he has with any of the GM stuff they service.

Disabling will barely help. That has been tried.

Disabling helps a lot from my experience. I've worked on Subarus for a while to know that there is a 50/50 chance that the factory bulb will either last 30k miles or 3k miles with the DRLs still active. Disabling them will prolong their life (even if it's until 10k miles, that's still about twice as long as it would last given the DRLs were enabled). The older cars that did not have DRLs never had frequent bulb burn-outs like the current models.

kind of strange but when I first bought the car I burned out 4 bulbs in the first year. 4 different brand bulbs....expensive and cheap. Now I put the cheapest ones I could find in and its lasted me 2 1/2 years without a burnout. I still have an extra set in my trunk though ha

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm I am tired of replacing headlights and I am on my 6 or 8 (lost count) replacement. I have tried pretty much every kind that I could find with no succes. get maybe 2-3000 miles and NEXT!!! decided to look on line and see if anyone else was having the same problem and I have found all of you. Well at least I am not alone :-( Guess I just need to keep a two pack of bulbs ready just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
i bought my car with about 15k miles on it...i have 32k on it now and tonight i just put in my 3rd driver side bulb. have replaced the passenger side twice. fog lights have been good so far though.

just had to replace the passenger side lamp again a couple days ago. brings the total up to 3 per side, 6 headlight bulb replacements in 2 years.

:iam:

that's more than i've had to replace in my past 3 cars combined dating back to 2000.

and no, i'm not getting my greasy fingers on the glass during install. ;)

Count me in for the repeated bulb failures. 05 Legacy GT I've had for about 2 years and just noticed my 5th burnout this morning.

For me they seem to go every winter. Last year I lost one in the middle of the night on my way to a ski trip, a few minutes later THE OTHER WENT OUT TOO! Had to drive to the hotel in the snow on fog lights only.

At the time I guessed it might have something too do with the cold, but the weathers been pretty mild lately.

Archived