LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

Based on experience, I think we can rule out overheating and other mechanical types of conditions. These would not change from car to car but might from model year to model year.

I keep coming back to a bunch of faulty voltage regulators, we should compare build dates and see if there is any consistency. The assumption being if those with bulb failures all have similar build dates we know it's likely poor quality from a parts supplier. I'll look at report back.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been reading this headlight bulb failure stuff for almost three years. My '05 that I bought new is now at 28.6K miles, DRL not disabled and I haven't replaced a headlight bulb yet. What would make the difference between similar vintage vehicles?

Good point. Not ALL '05 's eat bulbs but the ones that do are real bad. Thats the kind of thing that get me nuts. Why? Is it a build date thing or what??? Too early to tell but my tighter hold down spring and silicon "gasket/shock absorber" bulbs are holding up. ( for now)

Any one know if anything changed since the '05 design?

See my 10/29 post above in this thread. Noticed driver's side headlight was out this am. I took the car to the dealer to get the bulb replaced. The service writer asked me if one or both bulbs were out. When I said "just one", he winked and said "No, I think both of them are out" and promptly replaced both bulbs under warranty. I'm still liking this dealer!

**** these bulbs! The Outback ('02) lost the driver's side low beam tonight. About 1 year and 13,000 miles. I'm just gonna get gas lights like they had at the turn of the last century. Seven inch round sealed beams FTMFW.
It is still ugly.

left side 10k right side 17k and tonight right side again at 32k

Is there a fix, I mean shit if the dealer is going to replace them over and over while the car is under warranty, whats going to happen outside of the warranty period.

Has anyone put any different brand bulbs in other then the silverstar? maybe the more expensive brands?

My 05' LGT used to burn out headlights about every 4 months, but hasn't popped one since the new ECU was installed as part of the fan relay recall.

The wife's burned out a set a while back... in the mean time, the ECU was replaced under the recall... not that it should matter, but it has not burned a bulb since. Car now has mid 40k DRL's disabled way back.

• 4 weeks later...
bought the car with 28,000 miles. drivers side low beam went out at 42,000 miles and i replaced with silverstars. 100 days later the silverstar burned out. what is going on with these bulbs? are there better bulbs than the silverstars? I was told the PIAA Bulbs get very hot and might melt things.

Just lost another recently. That's 4 in 2 1/2 years of ownership. Why the hell havent I gone HID I must ask?

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Hid Ftw!

:hide:

Indeed and I finally got off my a$$ and de-activated the stupid DRL's, we'll see if that makes any difference.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Archived