LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI the Amsoil Ea15k13 is the equivalent size to the TR oil filter in your pic. Your comparing apples to oranges. The Ea15k12 is = to OEM size filter. You need to cut open a Ea15k13 to = compare the two filters.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

FYI the Amsoil Ea15k13 is the equivalent size to the TR oil filter in your pic. Your comparing apples to oranges. The Ea15k12 is = to OEM size filter. You need to cut open a Ea15k13 to = compare the two filters.

Mike

Like I said, take it for what it's worth. I guess you could put 2 and 2 together and get the Amsoil filter for the RX-8 but the EA15k12 is what is spec according to their website. Heck, they freaked out when I called in and asked about running the Full SAPS Euro 5w-40 in my car cause it wasn't on their recommended oil list for the Legacy :lol:.

To each their own, but I haven't been happy with Amsoil's products.

• Moderators

Aren't you comparing microscopic filters here using the naked eye? Don't see how that really applies if that's the case...

Edit: I'm not really an advocate of either since I've been using regular old blue filters.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm comparing surface area, not filter media. The Amsoil obviously has the better filter, but the TR has a larger one. Simply making an observation.

Edit: Another thing to take into account is the Amsoil filter is twice the price of the TR.

I'm comparing surface area, not filter media. The Amsoil is obviously has the better filter, but the TR has a larger one. Simply making an observation.

Edit: Another thing to take into account is the Amsoil filter is twice the price of the TR.

If you going to compare filter surface area. It helps to compare same size filters. That's all I'm saying.

The TR filter is not spec. for are car either, but it work. Like Ea15k13 (taller then OEM) & Ea15k20 (Fatter then OEM)

The Ea filters are designed to run 2-3x longer. I have always said, If you're not going to run extended drain OCI. There is cheaper options to match you OCI your want to run.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I ran Amsoil oil and filter for 4750 miles until my car started eating 1qt every 5-600 miles (and still does).

Yes the TR is not spec, but at least bypass valve pressure specs can be found on them while Amsoil doesn't publish this info on their filters.

Edit: I was attempting a 5k OCi based on te recommendation of Blackstone Labs

^ its not amount of debris that is going to block it its more the filter material that falls apart and blocks its self. so a bigger filter isn't always better. but if the filter material was of hi quality and was also big it would be better as the cold oil could flow through it easier.

and for oil changes the filter can be left in place its more important to get fresh oil than a fresh filter. but the cost of a filter most just change it anyways

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I'm not necessarily talking about debris blocking flow as I am surface area blocking it. Maybe the amsoil far outflows the TR, but I would think more area would flow easier which doesn't trip the BPV as easy.

Ex: A 2.5" exhaust flows fast with more pressure but a 3" will flow more air with less pressure. (Weird comparison but that's what I'm imagining)

^ there is a difference in flow between a pipe and filter media, the filter media can have a wide range of thicknesses, number of folds, shape of folds, type of weave etc, micron particle range.

its like saying a 350 small block will make more power than a formula 1 engine because it has more displacement.

True, but at least a 350 small block is closer in power to an F1 2.4L V8 than a Honda Accord 2.4L engine. I.E. a larger, lower flow filter will perform closer to a smaller high flow filter (granted there is no outrageous difference in filter media flow).

At the end of the day, I'm sure it all depends on variables that are unmeasurable to consumers like us. Again, take it for what it's worth--a visual representation of oil filter construction.

well i can make a formal test for you .. i would set teh filter as a remote filter and a pump on a test bench. i have data logging equipment for temperature and pressure. i could tell you the resistance pressure to press through the filter at various temperatures and various viscosity's of oil. but whos gonna pay for that and i'm not that interested :p

I'm not necessarily talking about debris blocking flow as I am surface area blocking it. Maybe the amsoil far outflows the TR, but I would think more area would flow easier which doesn't trip the BPV as easy.

Ex: A 2.5" exhaust flows fast with more pressure but a 3" will flow more air with less pressure. (Weird comparison but that's what I'm imagining)

I will agree with Frank_ster below.

^ there is a difference in flow between a pipe and filter media, the filter media can have a wide range of thicknesses, number of folds, shape of folds, type of weave etc, micron particle range.

its like saying a 350 small block will make more power than a formula 1 engine because it has more displacement.

Having a little working knowledge from working the past 32 years in the Aero-Space industry where we make our own DIH2O and use point of use filters for a number of different applications. Fluid filters are whole study in themselfs. It has nothing to do with an exhaust system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

So, now I'm more confused than ever. Forums FTW !!!

OK, seriously now I'm wondering what filters to use on the minty fresh engine I'm assembling. I'm not terribly concerned with the first 2-3 filters, because I basically want the best filtration for break-in, as it won't get completely beat on so temp/pressure shouldn't be as heinous as it will be when I pull the pin...

I was told by the builder of my shortblock, to run the Wix 51334, which is equivalent to the non-turbo Subaru filters from years gone by (90's etc). Those are 21 mircon, but only an 8-11 psi bypass which is much lower than Subaru LGT spec. Meaning.... it could be in bypass a lot more, and the last thing I want during break-in is unfiltered oil at all.

The Wix equivalent 51356 to the '09 RX-8 filter that everyone is raving about, is also an 8-11 psi bypass.

The Wix 57712 has the proper 23 bypass psi, but it's the shorty filter. Maybe I should just use those for break-in, and then delve into more of this oil filter madness later.

So I guess the search for a real TR filter begins, or something... wish I could find the Tokyo Roki part number for the Mazda on something easy like say (amazon), guess I need to troll the Mazda shopping sites. EDIT: THe Mazmart place is pretty close to be here in Atlanta, I'll probably go over there and verify as their website doesn't list the part number explicitly (mazdaparts.org does specify the TR part number .

I'd just like larger filtration media area, for the longer haul past ~500 miles.

NOTE: Interesting. If you put the older 2011-ish Subaru N/A filter 15208AA130 in the Wix website, it gives you the 57830 equivalent, which is a 28 psi bypass but a whopping 35 micron filtration! Eeee-gads! No way Jose

I think you mean EA15K13

If I were looking for 10-15K OCI's, sure I'd think of that, in addition to the Wix XP's and other such synthetic media filters. But I'm not.

And personally I think the 10-15K OCI is fine if you are highway cruising a lot, not beating on the car w/ boost, dealing with traffic, 90 deg heat, stop n go, etc.

Generally if I run synthetic oils, I do a 6K OCI because it lines up with a tire rotation interval, and I just do both at the same time (let the old oil drain out while I rotate rubbers). Takes 2 beers and allows for visual inspection of the brakes/CVs etc too.

Anyways... trying to find maybe a non-bypass filter for break-in, lowest micron filtration I can source (<21 if able), maybe...

Frank_ster mentioned Donaldson P502062 over here (I see you're in that thread too) but I can't seem to find any available online. Please let us know if you find a suitable non-bypass direct replacement filter. He cautions to install (and monitor) an oil pressure gauge if going this route, as a non-bypass filter can reduce oil pressure more and more if it becomes very dirty.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 1 month later...
So looks like best tried and true are still TR*160 which now you can get only in the form of TR mazda *302. I just got one from local stealership. What about the new blue TR shaped 15208AA15A. Internal materials seems to be very similar, the only difference being color and "made is US" which might be good thing depends on how you look at it? One would think that after so many changes in filter supply SOA finally figured it out ?

Archived