LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

^^^ new turbo if your paying attention. A new motor & turbo if your not &/or still drive it to limp it home after you hear the turbo's death song.:rolleyes:

I'm not a where of a huge section of threads on this forum that point to inferior-quality oil filters as a cause of engine & turbo failure? But we do have plenty oil threads:spin::spin::spin::spin::rolleyes:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Using up my Subi bucks with a big OEM order...

As said in this thread, the 2012 Forester X FB25B_ and 2012 Forester XT EJ255 use oil filter part number 15208AA160. Only $5.89 from Fred Beans Parts :)

Go back one year to 2011, and for the same aforementioned Forester models / engines, the part number is 15208AA130.

Just from looking in pictures, it appears the 2011 filter was smaller than the 2012 filter, at least in height.

Both were the Forester EJ255 oil filter part number for their respected years, so I'm happy to buy it and put it on a EJ255 (the 2012 filter, since it has same bypass specs, etc).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 6 months later...
Bump for updates. If anyone here was running the Forester Roki are you still happy with it? Have been running wix since my supply of black filters went out, but these 2012 filters seem to be what I've been looking for as a replacement.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I've always used the 15208AA100 Subaru black Tokyo Roki filters, and when they were going out of stock, ordered 25 of FBP's remaining stock. I'm down to about 4-5 filters and will be on the look-out for some good pricing on the new Forester/FB *160* filter. Only concern is the extra length of the *160*, vs-a-vs the TR *100*, since there's a sandwich adapter between the filter and the oil cooler.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I was about to PM FredBeansParts to ask them to add the 15208AA160 to their online store for easy check out. Hopefully with a 6-pack and washer deal. Seems like this is the best filter in area/build for us since it has the correct valve pressure. I've run both the wix and the K&N and they are so tiny. My manly car needs a bigger filter... lol.

BTW - anyone have experience with the new, black TR 15208AA130 (fat boy) filter. Supposedly, also for the new FB engine. Quite a physical difference between the "mighty blue" and the new TR *130*.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/5448543847_2aa069f8fe.jpg

BTW - anyone have experience with the new, black TR 15208AA130 (fat boy) filter. Supposedly, also for the new FB engine. Quite a physical difference between the "mighty blue" and the new TR *130*.

Personally, I'd like to have one filter I can use on both my LGT and the wife's 2010 Forester. I'll have to check the spec on the bypass valve for the forester, but with the donut hole in the header that the filter sits in: I'm thinking taller and skinnier is better for my needs.

Recap on how are these filters better than the aftermarket ones?

Not all Aftermarket filters meet subaru's spec for the bypass valve. They also have various constructions which some feel are inferior to the BCoA (Black Can of Awesomeness).

I am on my 2nd .160. No problems to report. Had 130 in my hands, looked much wider...not sure if rubber ring would still fit on the metal flange/mount. 160 is perfect fit, has the same width as blue one, only taller. Would love to get a 6/12 pack if someone offers better deal than stealership.

FBP's responded quickly as usual:

Being that it's a new filter we haven't put them up yet but we do intend to get them on the site for those looking to pick them up!

I need to order a clutch and am sitting on a bunch of SubieBucks, so was hoping to stock up on a decent filter at the same time.

I still have few AA100 filters left but last oil change I put AA160 (Forester filter) to try. It is perfect fit, just a bit taller than AA100 which i see as a good sign(more filter material and more filtering surface). I may just buy a box of AA160 if this current one does not show any issues.

I also have a box of blue filters 15208AA12A that I bought real cheap for my sons 05 NA Outback and it does not look as well made and solid as TR filters. As long as I can get TR filters AA160 I plan os staying with them when my supply of AA100 dries out. btw I had good luck fishing out deals on TR filters on Amazon and ebay - recently bought a box of 20 15208AA031 for $110 free shipping for wife's tribeca. Right now ebay has multiple deals for AA160 filters - 12 shipped free for <$80. I can wait for FBP to stock on them too....

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Hopefully they put it up soon. I've run out of the regular blue filters and need to get my oil changed within the next couple of weeks :spin:

If you don't want to run OEM, try a Wix 57712/Napa 7712. It's an exact match for OEM and even has a 23 psi bypass setting.

-Dennis

Just tried to order a bunch of *130* TR filters from FBP and the process shifted it to the *160* TR filter :mad: Really want to get the 130 filters because they offer similar media coverage that the *160* does, but are shorter which is what I'm looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

used two black 160 filters for two oil changes in a row with rotella t6. just got the oil analysis for the second oci, and blackstone said i got good filtration :)

sadly, my local subaru dealership said the 160 has been replaced by another blue filter, which is what's in my car for the current oci. but luckily, i came back to this thread and saw the link to fbp! thanks for that!

Archived