LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we keep speculating and adding to this thread, I'm all but certain the non-OEM filter will perform better than OEM. I've actually heard that, during the design phase, Subaru engineers start a thread on a forum and just add speculation until they've talked themselves into an optimal design.
lol

If we keep speculating and adding to this thread, I'm all but certain the non-OEM filter will perform better than OEM. I've actually heard that, during the design phase, Subaru engineers start a thread on a forum and just add speculation until they've talked themselves into an optimal design.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups. ;)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

While I understand what your saying, be aware that just because the OEM's do something doesn't mean it is the best or most optimal way. Working in a design environment I can tell you that some decisions are made for very strange reasons, however cost is usually the biggest factor.

While I understand what your saying, be aware that just because the OEM's do something doesn't mean it is the best or most optimal way. Working in a design environment I can tell you that some decisions are made for very strange reasons, however cost is usually the biggest factor.

You are correct. But who is to say that Mazda OEM is better than Subaru OEM? Does Subaru "cheap out" more so than Mazda? It doesn't matter how you look at it, without some serious testing and analysis far beyond the education and experience of your average forum dweller, nobody is going to conclusively show that the non-OEM filter is better.

lol

You are correct. But who is to say that Mazda OEM is better than Subaru OEM? Does Subaru "cheap out" more so than Mazda? It doesn't matter how you look at it, without some serious testing and analysis far beyond the education and experience of your average forum dweller, nobody is going to conclusively show that the non-OEM filter is better.

I agree, and ya know...you only have to look as far as the number of holes and stop right there.We know the OEM blue is good so even if you were to somehow discern that another was slightly better I'll bet flow will edge out that small difference.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• 1 year later...

Alright guys...I've used the Mazda filter on my Legacy twice with no adverse effects. (Filter N3R1-14-302).

I've been using the Blue honeywell filter and quite honestly, I'm dissapointed at best. Between my wifes, sisters, and my vehicle, about 15 oil changes with the honeywell filter, 6 times I've had sealing issues where it leaks from the o-ring itself. Realistically it may leak out a full quart over 1,000 miles, but that's unacceptable in my opinion.

Fast forward to Monday night, I did an oil change on the wagoon. Get home and see some smoke as I pulled into the driveway. Checked underneath and sure enough filter leaking.

I had 1 last RX-8 filter and brought it to work with me. I checked the NEW 2011+ Forester Filter (15208AA160). It looks IDENTICAL to the RX-8 filter. It's manufactured by Tokyo Roki and appears to be the exact same size.

So here's what I did. I looked into the specs for the 2012 Forester and my 2005 GT. I printed out the specs. The new filter (which I believe to be exactly the same as the RX-8, vs the specs for the factory GT which the honeywell filter meets. Here's a few pics of the spec sheets and filters.

And just to be clear what I'm getting at is the 2012 Forester filter = 2009 Mazda RX-8 Filter. The 2012 Forester filter specs = 2005 Legacy GT filter specs. Since A=B, B=C A=C.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/3c5578f1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/13401c34.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/f43b512b.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/03f5af4d.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/abdda6e1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/3c5578f1.jpg

So far I've been running the Forester filter for about 80 miles with no issues. Hope this helps and maybe answers some questions.

• Mega Users
That's interesting. I didn't know the new forester had a different filter. Looks like a good reason to keep using the mazda filter since there's a Mazda dealership that is much more convenient for me.

Original 05 LGT Subaru OEM oil filter part # (made by Tokyo Roki) is 15208AA100. Still have few of them left.

Both 2012 Subaru Forester and Mazda filter appear to be taller than 15208AA100 which is good. More filtering surface/material.

Thanks for sharing, now we can at least price shop.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Original 05 LGT Subaru OEM oil filter part # (made by Tokyo Roki) is 15208AA100. Still have few of them left.

Both 2012 Subaru Forester and Mazda filter appear to be taller than 15208AA100 which is good. More filtering surface/material.

Thanks for sharing, now we can at least price shop.

Yea that's the main reason I went the Mazda filter route. Now I can get an in house (I work for a Suby dealer) filter. Both filters appear to be IDENTICAL, made by the same manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting enough that SOA still supplies Tokyo Roki black filters for all 6 cylinder engines - Tribeca and 3.6 Legacy/Outback. I discovered that I am out of 6 cylinder engine Tokyo Roki oil filters for Tribeca and then found them at the dealer ! part # 15208AA031.

When my supply of the TR 15208AA100 run out, I will replace them with the 2012 Forester filter...

Sounds like a good plan. 2012 Forester part is 15208AA160 afaik. Subie bucks are excellent for this kind of stuff.

But I am still ~60K away from running out of good old TR 15208AA100 :lol:

^ Think I'm ~45K away - started with 25 TR 100s, down to 15. May still pick up some of the new TRs, just to make sure they don't go "off" the market again.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived