LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dare I bump this? :)

The chap that sold me my "new" '10 GT gave me some info on the Mazda filter thing. I've pored over some pages within this thread, and the model number on the new filter he included with the car seems similar, if not identical. The one I've got is labeled "B6Y1-14-302".

This post from 2010 says that it might be incorrect...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mazda-rx-8-tokyo-roki-oil-filter-2-5gt-147113.html?p=3170943&highlight=B6Y1-14-302#post3170943

I just picked up some M1 5W-30 synthetic last night, planning an oil change soon as I'm not sure of the mileage of the last one. Though he supposedly was religious about changes, which is good, I definitely don't want to be using the wrong filter.

Thanks!

The chap that sold me my "new" '10 GT gave me some info on the Mazda filter thing. I've pored over some pages within this thread, and the model number on the new filter he included with the car seems similar, if not identical. The one I've got is labeled "B6Y1-14-302".

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mazda-rx-8-tokyo-roki-oil-filter-2-5gt-147113.html?p=3170943&highlight=B6Y1-14-302#post3170943

I just picked up some M1 5W-30 synthetic last night, planning an oil change soon as I'm not sure of the mileage of the last one. Though he supposedly was religious about changes, which is good, I definitely don't want to be using the wrong filter.

Thanks!

With your post count, I would have guessed you knew better then to use M1 5w-30 in these engines. Do not put that oil in the engine. It thins to a 5w-20 in a short time. I run 5w-40 in both my cars year round.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

With your post count, I would have guessed you knew better then to use M1 5w-30 in these engines. Do not put that oil in the engine. It thins to a 5w-20 in a short time.

Just bought the car two weeks ago. Previous car was an '05 GT, which I sold in 2012. Haven't been here much, since then.

So, basically everyone in the damned world buys Mobil 1, but now it's no good? So what's changed lately? :)

I always used Valvoline dino oil in my old NA cars (including my current '01 Outback H-6), but Mobil 1 seemed to be one of the go-to oils. Frankly I was going to go with Castrol as I stood at Advance Auto yesterday, but M1 was the same price so I figured I'd do that.

(My car in 2012-Feb. '16 was a 2007 BMW 328xi - which preferred Castrol synth. My wife's '11 Audi Q5 likely may as well, but it's still under CPO so I don't bother doing the oil myself.)

So we're back to the Honeywell/newer Subaru OEM filters as well?

So we're back to the Honeywell/newer Subaru OEM filters as well?

no, i was just presenting the lesser of two evils.

i'd rather run a less ideal filter and have good oil, than crap oil and a good filter. a good oil is what your engine REALLY needs.

i consider the Tokyo Roki a bonus over the oem blue, rather than a necessity, since the blue has the right pressure valve and still filters. the roki is just more filter so less apt to bypass and can run long OCIs. and it's black and JDM yo, so can't lose!

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

no, i was just presenting the lesser of two evils.

i'd rather run a less ideal filter and have good oil, than crap oil and a good filter. a good oil is what your engine REALLY needs.

i consider the Tokyo Roki a bonus over the oem blue, rather than a necessity, since the blue has the right pressure valve and still filters. the roki is just more filter so less apt to bypass and can run long OCIs. and it's black and JDM yo, so can't lose!

Well I'd rather have good oil AND a good filter, as would most. :)

I'm definitely not sure if the Roki filter I have is appropriate, judging by a couple posts I found I'd venture to say no. But as that's what the previous owner sent along, I'm sure that's what he used before.

As for oil brand, quite frankly I'm not attached to any of them, so whichever ones work are fine with me. If Rotella is a good option I can consider that, or Castrol pretty universally has a good reputation as well.

Thanks!

If you need the higher bypass pressure, you need the N3R1.

If you need the lower bypass pressure, then you have the right filter.

I'm not sure which the 5th Gen needs.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Thanks!

You want the N3R1-14-302 for 09+ RX8

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3170022&postcount=61

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3170045&postcount=62

The B6Y1-14-302 is a shorter filter, similar in "length" to the AA100 TR filters. It's used in RX7's / RX8's up to 08 / Protege / Miata up to 05 / Mazda 2 and, unlike the TR AA100 filter which has the correct pressure relief valving, the B6Y1's pressure relief valving is too low for the LGTs

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You want the N3R1-14-302 for 09+ RX8

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3170022&postcount=61

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3170045&postcount=62

The B6Y1-14-302 is a shorter filter, similar in "length" to the AA100 TR filters. It's used in RX7's / RX8's up to 08 / Protege / Miata up to 05 / Mazda 2 and, unlike the TR AA100 filter which has the correct pressure relief valving, the B6Y1's pressure relief valving is too low for the LGTs

Awesome, thanks cap'n!

Been alternating between the N3R1 Maxda TR Black and the 160 Subaru TR Blacks. Whichever one I happen to pull off the parts shelf. Both are the same size and tech-spec, and work/fit equally the same, with no discernable difference.

Been alternating between the N3R1 Maxda TR Black and the 160 Subaru TR Blacks. Whichever one I happen to pull off the parts shelf. Both are the same size and tech-spec, and work/fit equally the same, with no discernable difference.

Right. I believe the old black filters are the good ones and it's the blue subaru filters that suck which is why people went to the mazda ones to get back the specs of the black original filters

Right. I believe the old black filters are the good ones and it's the blue subaru filters that suck which is why people went to the mazda ones to get back the specs of the black original filters

Yes that's what he's saying. For a time Subaru shipped over the black TR filters which were identical to the Mazda ones discussed here. Later that part number was superceded by the one for the new 'crappy' blue ones. I'd venture a guess that he has a stash of the old black Subaru ones.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Yes that's what he's saying. For a time Subaru shipped over the black TR filters which were identical to the Mazda ones discussed here. Later that part number was superceded by the one for the new 'crappy' blue ones. I'd venture a guess that he has a stash of the old black Subaru ones.

This, exactly.

I have a stash of Tokyo Roki (TR) "black" filters which comprise one or two TR Black Subaru OEM 100s and both the TR Black Subaru OEM 160s and the TR Black Mazda OEM N3R1s.

When I transitioned to the 160s I stopped using the 100s to take advantage of the additional filtering capacity of the 160s (and the N3R1s). TR 160s = TR N3RI - they are identical filters, made in the same factory, with different branding on them. I'm now using the 100s on the 98 BD.

• 1 year later...

back from the dead...

so where is everyone getting their N3R1-14-302 filters from? is there a good website to buy say a 6-pack of them with reasonable shipping? I've done some googling, but found $16 shipping to be about the norm.

I was buying them from Amazon for a while (about 7-8bucks a piece for a while), but recently I needed it sooner than shipping would have been, so I went to the local Mazda dealer and got it cheaper from them than I would have from Amazon anyhow.

Archived