LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But only factory units? What about pre 09 aftermarket?

One thing I do want to say is make sure you get only the OE filter from Mazda. The aftermarket ones for the 09+ RX8 have the wrong bypass pressure.

Did you even read the last couple of posts? :confused:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Did you read mine????

That's why I want to make sure because you say "The aftermarket ones for the 09+ RX8 have the wrong bypass pressure." and then say "09+ got the upgraded oiling system and requires the same bypass pressure as Subarus do."

So which is it? Wrong or right pressure or are you saying only factory filters have new bypass pressure? And if so are aftermarket for pre 09 ok?

It is not clear.

Even though it's fairly explicitly stated...

You only want to use the OE Mazda filter for an 09+ RX8. Earlier RX8s have a lower pressure oiling system which calls for a lower bypass valve setting filter.

2003 Baja 5MT

• 8 months later...

Stupid question but if RX8 oil filters meet Subaru specs.. is there a reason we need to use Roki. If Wix is considered a good filter, how about an RX8 Wix filter... PN 57356?

$7.50 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-57356-Spin-Filter/dp/B002EOGKAO/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Mazda%7C80&Model=RX-8%7C1122&Year=2009%7C2009&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

"This fits your 2009 RX8" heh.

Stupid question but if RX8 oil filters meet Subaru specs.. is there a reason we need to use Roki. If Wix is considered a good filter, how about an RX8 Wix filter... PN 57356?

$7.50 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-57356-Spin-Filter/dp/B002EOGKAO/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Mazda%7C80&Model=RX-8%7C1122&Year=2009%7C2009&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

nope. error in your logic.

the problem with most non-Subaru filters is that they don't meet the spec, even if the company says they are good to use in our turbo cars.

the Tokyo roki Mazda filter does meet our spec, even if the company doesn't say it will work in our turbo cars.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

$7.50 from Amazon.

nope. error in your logic.

the problem with most non-Subaru filters is that they don't meet the spec, even if the company says they are good to use in our turbo cars.

the Tokyo roki Mazda filter does meet our spec, even if the company doesn't say it will work in our turbo cars.

:yeahthat:

The Toyo Roki RX-8 filter is essentially identical to the old OEM Subaru filter (which was also produced by Toyo Roki). The only difference between the two was a slightly higher capacity in the RX-8. That's the reason it's commonly recommended for the EJ25. The fact that it's for an RX-8 is completely coincidental.

Yup, and to take it a step further most of the oil filter manufacturers never updated their product references to account for the 09+ RX8 requiring a higher bypass pressure.

It's interesting to me since Wix actually specs the correct bypass pressure for their Subaru filters, but the wrong pressure for the RX8.

2003 Baja 5MT

I bought out Fred Bean's supply of the TR 100s and bought a ton of the TR RX8 from a local Mazda parts department ~$5.5/per. so I can't imagine needing to purchase any extra filters for at least another 200K miles on a full-synth/3.75K-5.0K OCI. :eek::)

I really didn't want to ever worry about supply of filters specifically spec'd to this engine.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived