LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a K&N "longer" style filter that would be equivalent to the 15208AA160 filters? The end nut is very useful on the 2010 forester, but the listed K&N is one of the smallest filters I have seen for our cars. I guess they have to give up some height in the filter body to leave spec'd clearance for the end nut?

The cut open filters I've seen show that the Tokyo Roki filters offer more and better filtering material for half the cost.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

We actually weren't aware that these 160 filters were going to be superseded to a new filter so fast, or at all for that matter. I did order in the Tokyo Roki filters for those that want to snag them.

I am making a 6pack option on the site for those that would like to pick these up as an alternative to the 15208AA160 option that we used to have!

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/tokyo-roki-oil-filters-and-crush-washers-6-pack.html

The cut open filters I've seen show that the Tokyo Roki filters offer more and better filtering material for half the cost.

Yes, I agree. However the Roki filters are not easy to get now. (I don't have a mazda dealer near me to try to get the rx-8 one) I am personally stocked pretty good for my car on Roki filters. But knowing all the options is a good thing. Right now Advance has a PennzPlatinum plus K&N filter deal. You basically get the oil on sale and a free K&N filter. I've run the cataloged filter but would like to have an option for a longer style, which is the point of this thread. I figure if I, or anyone else needs a filter in a pinch then knowing the k&n "tall filter" number is an option. They are generally excepted as a decent filter. Just for our cars there are two issues. One they are tiny. Maybe a taller version is out there as an option? Second the bypass valve pressure. Well lots of folks are willing to run a PureOne filter or such, so if your looking at a $7 pure one filter or a free K&N with a sale on the oil... options are always a good thing in my book.

I also own three subarus, so a "free" filter is not necessarily going on my LGT.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

We actually weren't aware that these 160 filters were going to be superseded to a new filter so fast, or at all for that matter. I did order in the Tokyo Roki filters for those that want to snag them.

I am making a 6pack option on the site for those that would like to pick these up as an alternative to the 15208AA160 option that we used to have!

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/tokyo-roki-oil-filters-and-crush-washers-6-pack.html

Ahh, wtf... you guys should have at least told me they were getting superseded... I forgot the P/N of the ones you sent me instead, but they look like the typical shorty blue filters.

Just talked to FBP and the six-pack Tokyo Roki filters are for the Mazda RX8. They are not the *160* replacement for the *130*. Both the 130 and 160 have been replaced by the *15A* Canadian-made blue filters. *le sigh*
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

i work for an Auto Group with a Mazda dealer I can get the Black long Tokyo Roki filters any day they are fully stocked. If local to 10954 let me know and i can get them. (not trying to steal business from FBP, they are a great vendor, just offering help to locals)

This thread is about the Mazda RX-8 Filter, but I was referring to the confusion FBP's post above initially caused me when they posted that the Black Tokyo Roki were available in a 6-pack, without indicating that they were the Mazda RX-8 version.

Thought they were referring to the Subaru BTR 15208AA160 which have now been superseded by the Subaru Blue 15208AA15A filters.

This thread is about the Mazda RX-8 Filter, but I was referring to the confusion FBP's post above initially caused me when they posted that the Black Tokyo Roki were available in a 6-pack, without indicating that they were the Mazda RX-8 version.

Thought they were referring to the Subaru BTR 15208AA160 which have now been superseded by the Subaru Blue 15208AA15A filters.

Gotcha, the timing of your post confused me, because I had just spoke to them as well regarding the Mazda filters they were carrying.

I ordered a dozen of 160AA from a dealer on fleebay. Sent a note saying to only ship me 160AAs or cancel the order. Fingers crossed as I already have received a tracking #.

3 Subies in the family. Need good filters. Strangely enough SOA still (?) sells Tokyo Roki filters for 6 cylinder engines.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Picked up 14 of the 160s from one of the regional dealers and another 6 of the RX-8 filters. Comparing the 2, they appear to be the same filter, just labeled differently for the different brand lines.

I got those as well, mine came the day before yesterday. I didn't open the individual boxes, since they're glued shut, but the markings all look right. Did he include the crush washers in the price or where they extra? I might order 6 more, I will be set for years then at the rate I drive...

Thanks, Doug

• 3 months later...

Ordered some Toyko Roki filters from Fred Beans last week. Here's a pic showing one and the recommended Purolator Pure one.

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanjk3/9320870261/]Oil filter comparison | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by Stanjk3, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanjk3/9320870261/

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I just wanted to share some interesting pictures from a little experiment I did a while back. I switched to Amsoil oil and filters for the 2 oil changes after the first oil change I had done after purchasing my car with ~68k miles. Towards the end of the first change my car started eating oil (possibly unrelated to this, but who knows), so the second filter was left on for 600 miles after I decided to switch to T6 and the Mazda Tokyo Roki filters.

I cut open the 600 mile Amsoil filter and a 3000 mile TR filter to compare. Holy crap, was there a difference! The TR had far more filter material (including number of pleats) and decent build quality; the Amsoil had excellent quality but look at how puny this filter is!

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/themadtestpilot23/OilFilters004_zpsb7cd9785.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/themadtestpilot23/OilFilters008_zpsdfb9f060.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/themadtestpilot23/OilFilters014_zpsb56ed193.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/themadtestpilot23/OilFilters017_zps46005fc7.jpg

Keep in mind that the Amsoil filter has ~2400 less miles on it and it is made of a "superior synthetic filter material". Another thing that should be noted is that these have been sitting in my basement for a few months so they are by no means fresh off the car. Also notice that the TR has an internal by-pass valve, while the Amsoil one is external.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, the filter with larger filter surface area will flow oil better, resulting in less openings of the by-pass valve. I'm not sure if thats true or not but here's some numbers to put with the pictures:

The Mazda filter measured 6.7cm tall and 6.3cm wide. The Amsoil filter measured 3.7cm tall and 5.9cm wide. (These measurements are metal to metal, assuming the filter extends past the lip)

So if my math checks out, the Amsoil filter has a surface area of 67.38cm^2 and the Mazda filter has a surface area of 132.5cm^2. That is almost TWICE the surface area!

Take it for what it's worth, but I thought the difference in construction between the filters was very interesting.

Archived