LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

Ok, so it sounds like your new adapter design won't have a bypass :) Possibly threaded ports on the input and output for pressure sensors?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could easily have threaded in input the output would be the same as the existing subaru oil pressure sensor location.

As it is coaxial it would be a pita to get reading of the output

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

The factory banjo filter was a bad design, that's not a reason to run non-bypass. Address the issue with maintance (replacement of the factory filter at a reasonable interval), upgrading to a better pre-turbo filter available aftermarket or deletion.

Running 0w-30 or 0w40 and the spec'd Subaru bypass in your filter minimizes the time in bypass. Also running a filter with a little more surface area, like the Rx-8 roki, should decrease the pressure drop across the media.

I'd be wary of any filter or relocation that hangs lower than the header. Especially running with out an under tray. One good hunk of retread debris at highway speed and you could have a catastrophic failure. You can't always change lanes to avoid obstacles, or see them in time in the dark.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

With the oil cooler and the STI sandwich adapter, I hang down about an inch more than normal. With the Subaru OEM TR 160s and now the OEM Mazda RX8 filter, it juts down another 3/4" beyond the stock EMs.

I'm planning on putting an underguard on once I get the KBHHs installed, but in the interim, I carry an extra filter and oil in case the filter takes a hit.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

There's one made by an Australian company which I've lost the link to, which provides everything I need with the KBHHs and the extended OF. When I find it, I'll post up the link.

The factory banjo filter was a bad design, that's not a reason to run non-bypass. Address the issue with maintance (replacement of the factory filter at a reasonable interval), upgrading to a better pre-turbo filter available aftermarket or deletion.

Running 0w-30 or 0w40 and the spec'd Subaru bypass in your filter minimizes the time in bypass. Also running a filter with a little more surface area, like the Rx-8 roki, should decrease the pressure drop across the media.

I'd be wary of any filter or relocation that hangs lower than the header. Especially running with out an under tray. One good hunk of retread debris at highway speed and you could have a catastrophic failure. You can't always change lanes to avoid obstacles, or see them in time in the dark.

I agree running with out the under tray is a bad idea all of those things are there for aerodynamic efficiency and cooling efficiency.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

It's the SubaXtreme Sump Guard. They have just reconstituted their website so pictures are down. But this is one on an 06 FXT so you get both the sense of thing and the construction.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p186/Ian_D_A/SumpGuard040B.jpg

This is a "cast" aluminum formed piece and, from everything I've read, the fit is perfect and it doesn't affect Airbag deployments like some other model may do.

• 1 month later...
Sadly, the TR Mazda Rx8 filter won't work with my Defi sandwich adapter for the STI 3-gauge pack and the Killer B Holy Headers I just installed. Going to have to work around that one, and quick!

It's the Defi sandwich adapter that came as part of the STI (Defi) 3-gauge pack - provides oil pressure and oil filter - right after filtration - which is a good place to take the readings. Been running it for over 100K miles. Longer TR filter won't work with the KB HHs with this adapter.

The oem oil pressure switch is just after filter also. Its located under the alternator.

I dont doubt the reliability of the sandwich adapter.

If you want to run the big blue filter you could just move your oil pressure sending unit and remove the sandwich adapter. You will have all the function you have now and a better oil filter.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Thought about that, but Defi adapter provides both OT and OP. So I'd need to find a relocate point for the OT sensor.

I know you've said several times that you require to be able to see oil temp, but I feel I can gauge it pretty well by looking at my idle oil pressure. Anything under ~20PSI (I'm running an 11mm oil pump) and I would think it's pretty well warmed up. Am I missing a factor by looking at that?

Since there's so much variance (+/-) between "normal" on the water temp gauge, oil temp provides me a better metric of what's going on internally.

If oil temp is rising or elevated, then I'm either running the turbo too much on boost, and I need to back off, or something else is going on and I need to monitor it - because non of this is reflected in the dash's temp gauge.

Once at NOT, my OP reading settles into it's normal range (off-idle to WOT) and doesn't deviate, even when oil temps are elevated. So, after OP, which is critical IMO, OT provides me with the second most critical measure.

Picking up a mazda tokyo filter tonight from the dealer. $8 is gonna break the bank! :spin:

dealer? I assume you went to a local mazda dealer? Wish we still had one of those around...went to amazon for $11 shipped instead

dealer? I assume you went to a local mazda dealer? Wish we still had one of those around...went to amazon for $11 shipped instead

Kind of. They still consider themselves a Mazda dealer/service location. Might just pick up a couple.

Archived