LegacyGT.com

Mazda RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filter for 2.5GT

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the bypass is mostly the issue when cold start ..

i doubt an oil filter would get blocked enough in 15 000 miles for the bypass to open when hot.

i'm still having amazing results running with no bypass

and i use 5w20 oil

I didn't think about cold start. Good point.

... and then the open bypass burps some crud right through. that's how the banjo bolt filters get gunked up (or if they have been removed, then the turbo bearings get a little blast of gunk)... as well as the rest of the bearings in the motor.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Exactly no more bypss filters for me .

But non bypass filters are very un common for the m20 thread.

All the gm filters have the bypass in the housing . They use m18 thread.

So a adapter would have to be made and then u can use 4$ gm oil filters

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

-20° oil, 8 minute commute. Bypass was likely open the entire time.

Not likely unless there was all kinds of metal sitting in the pan.

Dont forgert the oil circulates every 30 seconds. So stuff usuly gets filtered out.

I would think the bearing was to tight or too loose or you had oil leak some where else such as cam bearings

yeah. seems like correct bypass pressure is a good start for sure. however, even that bypass probably opens from time to time (like cold startup perhaps).

if you're daring like frank_ster you can manage to use a non-bypass filter. but when they clog up, then pressure goes to zero. gotta watch your pressure somehow so you know to change the non bypass filter before it gets to that point. wish there was a perfect all-around solution!

didn't someone once say some other older vehicle had a warning light when the bypass opened? i like that idea. at least it would no longer be a mystery when it's open - everyone basically guesses but there's currently no way to know with 99.9% of the vehicles.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Well yes the only down side of running the no bypass system is if the filter blocks.

I have had the filter block and it's not blocked from debris what happened is the elements laid down on each other and reduced flow.

I noticed the gauge never getting as high and then it got so it never went over 25 psi.

So I can get the filter and was fine ever since .

the only reason I can figure why it did that is because I accidentally reved the cold engine to 6k at cold start up. Drive by wire homing . Witch is why sock Subara don't fire right away after reseting the ecm. But my car started ! And reved.

Now I have coolant based revlimiter. So engine can't Rev over 2 k at 0 degree f and ramps up from there.

I also have my freshly rebuilt 383 in my pickup that I drove all winter, with the non bypass setup and it's filter never had an issue. But it's filter is also 5 times the size of a stock Subaru filter.

If you use an adapter to gm style oil filter you can install a giant spin on filter in the stock location that has 5-8 times the surface area.

If you use an adapter to gm style oil filter you can install a giant spin on filter in the stock location that has 5-8 times the surface area.

^ this would be awesome!

Well I'd probably buy one if such a product (adapter) were readily available :)

What type of gm filter do you have in mind? bypass? if so, what pressure? or non-bypass?

well i talked to hex mods about it , he will add it to is products .

gm filters dont have a bypass.

what i am thinking is i could have two models

1-no bypass,

2-user adjustable bypass from ~5-100 psi

i'll have to look into how i would make the by pass adjustable and how to adjust it.

well i talked to hex mods about it , he will add it to is products .

gm filters dont have a bypass.

what i am thinking is i could have two models

1-no bypass,

2-user adjustable bypass from ~5-100 psi

i'll have to look into how i would make the by pass adjustable and how to adjust it.

This sounds really cool. One thing to be aware of (you probably already are) is clearance issues. The factory header goes right by the oil filter, and some people (not me) still have their lower engine cover installed.

^ with non bypss filter ?

I was wondering the same. It would make sense to watch for oil pressure issues with a non-bypass filter (although an oil pressure gauge makes sense in ANY case!)

Regarding your adapter design... cool idea thinking of integrating the bypass into it. I was thinking, if the adapter is mostly aluminum (or something non-ferrous), and the bypass piston IS ferrous, wonder if externally at the end of the piston travel a ferrous proximity switch could be installed to turn on a dash-mounted light when in bypass mode? here's one but it was just a random choice to get the point across :)

but if it bypassing its already to late .

If any unfiltered oil goes into the galleries im already freaking out !

The best would be non bypass

And before and after oil pressure readings .

Or a microprocessor reading both and if there is more than certain difference turn on light

There's a reason why bypass (both internal and external to the filter) systems exist. Don't heavy load your engine till the oil is fully warmed up, and your ok. Follow reasonable oci's and filter changes and you're fine. Chances are rust or center diff failures will kill your Subaru before a lubrication failure. Unless a ring goes AWOL on you, of course.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

There are soooo many turbo failures on the turbo subarus

The bypass is there for people who dont change thier oil.

What always seems to happen is

Small particals get bypassed at cold start up ,

Those particals block the banjo bolt filters

Turbo dies, drops shit into oil pan

If the car is restarted when cold the shit from turbo gets sucked up and shoved through all the crank and cam bearings .

Turbo is replaced ,

3 days later engine starts knocking .

Yes its fine if you change your oil all the time and everything is perfect.

But if there are small particals form seals or gaskets floating around like it can happen.

Running non bypass system with a gauge and regular oil changes

-1 banjo bolts wont blcok

-2 turbo last pretty much forever

-3 crank and cam bearins last probably forever

The other pro is if something else does break like pistons and rings and metals parts make it into the oil pan the crank and cam bearings are protected and will lessen the extent of dammage , so you wont need to have heads and crank turned.

Archived