LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

I live in PA.

As you know from first-hand experience, that option is therefore out. :lol:

I also have always preferred very mild drops, regardless of road condition. 9 times out of 10, I think they look better.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any pictures of the difference between Cobb and elibach

We would have had some if my car made it to my meet. :redface: ripjeep and I need to get our cars together and take photos next to one another. If we don't find time between now and 8/29, we'll get pics together here: http://occsubarumeet-fbnews.eventbrite.com/

We would have had some if my car made it to my meet. :redface: ripjeep and I need to get our cars together and take photos next to one another. If we don't find time between now and 8/29, we'll get pics together here: http://occsubarumeet-fbnews.eventbrite.com/

Well let me know when you get your car back and we could meet up some weekend to get those compar. pictures

im on cobb springs 50,000+miles no issues

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Wow, that's impressive. Good to hear! I figured the dampers would be shot within 30K.

of the 87,900 miles on my car about 80,000 is highway. so not a whole lot of damping going on. but am install koni's when i get back just to be safe

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

So I put 225/45-17 Pole Position all seasons on and they had a very surprising effect . . . no more bottoming out up front with my Cobb springs! I'm amazed what a difference a little more sidewall and a wider contact patch can do. I purposely ran over all 3 of the spots that I had hit the bump stops on before and now it's just your typical bump thud . . . no bang, crash, or jolt at all. The ride overall is completely different, very noticeably more smooth. They also obviously provide more ultimate grip, they're really not easy to break loose. The only negative is that I can feel a little more play in the additional sidewall height when cornering hard.

So I solved the bottoming out problem, but gained an engine problem in the meantime. :spin: It never ends with this thing . . .

Same thing happened to me when I went higher sidewall tires. Unfortunately as the tires wear out the ride quality goes down a bit again. Edited by peteyjr
spelling error

so, do the eibachs work for a wagon as well?

hmm, tire rack says no - what is out there for a wagon???

Eibach's will work fine on a wagon.

If the rear sags more than you like get some of THESE for it (scroll down a bit for the Legacy spacers).

Seriously though, the Rallitek springs weren't designed for the wagon either but they tested them out to make sure they would work. There's NO difference between the sedan and wagon suspension.

The Rallitek springs will drop you more than the Eibachs if that's what you're looking for.

Cheers!

Eibach's will work fine on a wagon.

If the rear sags more than you like get some of THESE for it (scroll down a bit for the Legacy spacers).

Seriously though, the Rallitek springs weren't designed for the wagon either but they tested them out to make sure they would work. There's NO difference between the sedan and wagon suspension.

The Rallitek springs will drop you more than the Eibachs if that's what you're looking for.

Cheers!

awesome - thanks for the response! After reading all the praise for the eibachs I was seriously bummed that I wasn't going to be able to use them on a wagon. Can't wait to get them ordered and installed.

oh, and what size have most people been using???

Edited by ///MZG

Im having a tough time deciding on what springs to go with. I generally like the vehicle to ride pretty stiff, so Im thinking about the ION's or TEIN H-tech (both Seem to combine stiffer spring rates with modest/reasonable drop)

Fred beans sells the H-techs, but where in the world can I get the ion springs? Every time I try to search all I end up with is a bunch of saturn garbage....thnx...

Im having a tough time deciding on what springs to go with. I generally like the vehicle to ride pretty stiff, so Im thinking about the ION's or TEIN H-tech (both Seem to combine stiffer spring rates with modest/reasonable drop)

Fred beans sells the H-techs, but where in the world can I get the ion springs? Every time I try to search all I end up with is a bunch of saturn garbage....thnx...

Check over in the Group Buy thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103709&highlight=ion

awesome - thanks for the response! After reading all the praise for the eibachs I was seriously bummed that I wasn't going to be able to use them on a wagon. Can't wait to get them ordered and installed.

oh, and what size have most people been using???

You're welcome. I plan to get some Eibach's for my wagon soon too.

Are you asking about what size shims? That I don't know. They're pretty cheap though so maybe get a couple sets just in case. I don't think you'd need anything more than 3/8".

Don't forget longer studs if you use spacers!

Cheers!

ok, after talking to lots of people, Tein stuff is apparantly junk, and the ion's are cost prohibitive for what they are.

That leaves me with Eibach or Rallitek, or something else Im missing. Whats the absolute stiffest spring out there with an approximately 1"(ala eibach) drop? HR springs? little more drop but HR is usually stiffer?

I cant decide. lol

Edited by KurtP

H-techs should be fine. It's the S-techs you want to avoid.

Pinks are pretty stiff and a very modest drop. Then again, they're at least as expensive as the Ions.

If you want inexpensive, check the Member Classifieds.

Most of the really stiff springs have a very large drop (s-techs, swifts) because they have to be to make up for the fact that they drop you to the bump stops. If you need that stiff it's probably best to step up to coilovers.

Cheers!

I worry about dropping the car too much and taking the usable wheel travel away.

If this is what you're worried about (and rightly so) then the Pinks and Eibachs have the least drop. Then again, I'm not sure if the Pinks drop is measured on spec b Bils or the GT's stock KYB's.

Oh yeah, I'm referring to the info on the Wiki...

http://subiwiki.com/wiki/index.php/BL_(2005-2009)#Handling_Modifications

Edit: Looks like the Tein H-techs are a pretty mellow drop as well.

Edited by goneskiian