lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem with dropping these cars that much is that there's NO suspension travel left to soak up bumps. If you drive on smooth tarmac all the time and don't mind the bone jarring ride of sitting on your bump stops then by all means get the S-Techs.

You can get the slammed look and more suspension travel by using coilovers.

I'm looking for some springs to lower my wagon and want a decent drop, half the cars in this thread don't look any different to factory

All I can offer is before/afters of my sedan on Cobb springs. I'm not sure how much the Wagon version would vary.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/Picture001-edited.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/IMG_2148-edited.jpg

Hopefully that gives you some idea.

The problem with dropping these cars that much is that there's NO suspension travel left to soak up bumps. If you drive on smooth tarmac all the time and don't mind the bone jarring ride of sitting on your bump stops then by all means get the S-Techs.

You can get the slammed look and more suspension travel by using coilovers.

No suspension travel isn't a problem with the springs, I intend to have my Bilsteins rebuilt, revalved and shortened to suit the springs. I would still be interested to know why people call them crappy springs though. I had Tein coilovers in my last daily for the past 5 years and was very happy with the quality of the product

What's a better spring that gives a similar drop? How are they crappy?

Cobb or Swift.

The "S" in S-tech stands for style, meaning they are not a performance oriented spring. They will slam the car, offer little to no performance gain and ride like crap.

All I can offer is before/afters of my sedan on Cobb springs. I'm not sure how much the Wagon version would vary.

Hopefully that gives you some idea.

Thanks for that, do you know the amount of drop you got?

I see Cobb list a 1.75" Front, and 1.0" Rear drop, this will possibly sort out the wagon problem of going lower in the rear than the sedan??

See post #90 of mine in this thread, you'll find all the measurements you could want. ;) As others have stated, you'll probably be best suited running saggy butt shims as well as springs on your wagon.

Thanks everyone for their help, I've found a seller on ebay who will ship to New Zealand... I've gone with the Cobb springs, I'll post pics in a few weeks of how they sit in my GT wagon. I've also just ordered some Enkei GTC01 18x8 +38 and 215/40R18s so my car should be all sorted in a few weeks :D

I've also just ordered some Enkei GTC01 18x8 +38 and 215/40R18s so my car should be all sorted in a few weeks :D

Yikes, that's not much rubber. I switched to 225/45 from 215/45 and the ride comfort was much improved. (thanks to a wider contact patch and increased sidewall) You're going the opposite way. I would definitely be concerned with an abusive ride and possibly cracked rims with that tire choice.

The car my Legacy is replacing is a Lexus IS300 wagon on Tein coilovers and 19s with 215/35R19 so I'm actually going for a larger profile than what I'm use to. The roads in NZ are crappy (probably no where near as good as US) but you learn not to drive through every pot hole. I'm going with that size tyre because I want to run rims with a low offset

EDIT: Here's my old daily

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/EVLHSV/2008/01.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/EVLHSV/2008/07_Front_Right.jpg

Edited by NZGT

I've noticed that you Kiwi's like HUGE rims and super low pro tires! :lol:

Sick IS300 wagon! There's a few of those here in the states. Too bad they didn't offer it with a manual tranny, I might have been tempted!

Cheers!

I've noticed that you Kiwi's like HUGE rims and super low pro tires! :lol:

Sick IS300 wagon! There's a few of those here in the states. Too bad they didn't offer it with a manual tranny, I might have been tempted!

Cheers!

haha that's funny because I noticed you guys seem to like small rims with big tyres and jacked up ride heights :lol:

The auto was nice for my daily because my weekend car was a 500hp supercharged V8 manual.... I've sold that now so I got a manual daily this time

haha that's funny because I noticed you guys seem to like small rims with big tyres and jacked up ride heights :lol:

The auto was nice for my daily because my weekend car was a 500hp supercharged V8 manual.... I've sold that now so I got a manual daily this time

Sorry about the stereotyping. Guess that's probably not true for everyone over there. There are definitely folks who dig the big wheels here too. ;)

For me personally, I take my car to trailheads for hiking and biking and up skiing in the winter so a little ground clearance is a must. That and our roads can be REALLY bad, especially here where studs are still legal for part of the year.

Hope you like your new setup! Keep us posted with pics!

Cheers!

Long day! Eibach Pro Kit springs and Koni adjustable struts are now on. Initial ride impressions are very positive. Very drastic reduction in squat, dive and corner roll. Going to give them a few days, get an alignment and then play with the struts some. They're all set to one full turn from full soft (total adjustability is about 2 1/8 turns from fully soft to fully firm) for now. I hope they don't need much adjustment because access to the rear strut tops is a serious pain the arse! :lol:;)

Gap is about two of my fat fingers all the way around and I'm running the 1/4" saggy butt shims. Sorry it was dark when we finished so pictures will have to wait.

Cheers!

Edited by goneskiian

FWIW, at a Pep Boys north of Pittsburgh a few days ago, I saw a box of Eibach Pro Kit springs. Not sure what car they were for, but it seems that they sell them, anyway. I couldn't find anything on their website, but... for anyone ready to buy, it might be worth a phone call?