LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

Nothing scientific :) I didn't even notice that the ID changed... It just seemed to me that if I want to delay engagement with the bumper while still providing as much remaining protection to the strut, that getting rid of the small end of the bumper would be best.

I trimmed half of what you did, just taking off the smallest "donut".

Given that I dropped a bit over an inch and trimmed less than an inch off the stops, I think I just reduced the total travel less than if I hadn't trimmed.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it seems as though Cobb no longer makes springs for my 05 wagon, Eibach no longer makes springs for it either so:mad:....I guess I will test Oklahoma's roads and put the S-Techs in. I know, I know I will probably regret it but IPR wants a 53 dollar restocking fee so if I hate them I will box them up and throw them in the loft with the rest of the used parts:lol: I really don't see many options. So Koni's and Tiens it is. Thanks for all the Help, digs etc. Will post pics for approval/disapproval when done.

Nothing scientific :) I didn't even notice that the ID changed... It just seemed to me that if I want to delay engagement with the bumper while still providing as much remaining protection to the strut, that getting rid of the small end of the bumper would be best.

I trimmed half of what you did, just taking off the smallest "donut".

Given that I dropped a bit over an inch and trimmed less than an inch off the stops, I think I just reduced the total travel less than if I hadn't trimmed.

I'm likely going to be at the break even point on the front by removing about 1 to 1 1/8 inches of bumper but then reducing the travel by about 1" with the Eibach's.

I kept the softer half of the bump stop thinking that if I hit it, it will compress a fair amount and give me another 1/2" or so of travel and a progressive bump. The firm half would not compress much and give me a much more abrupt bump. I'm worried that the softer half will get chewed up since it sits loosely on the strut. If only it was snug like the other half I wouldn't be worried at all - grrrrr:mad:

Hanslo

P.S. I think i'm going to look around for replacement bump stops. I want something that is significantly shorter than our stockers but designed for progressive compression. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Well it seems as though Cobb no longer makes springs for my 05 wagon, Eibach no longer makes springs for it either so:mad:....I guess I will test Oklahoma's roads and put the S-Techs in. I know, I know I will probably regret it but IPR wants a 53 dollar restocking fee so if I hate them I will box them up and throw them in the loft with the rest of the used parts:lol: I really don't see many options. So Koni's and Tiens it is. Thanks for all the Help, digs etc. Will post pics for approval/disapproval when done.

I bought Cobb springs about 3 weeks ago for my 05 wagon

• 2 weeks later...
Well it was easier to put them in than to send them back so the Tien springs went in along with the Koni adjustable dampeners.:rolleyes: I like the look myself and the ride and performance is great. I would appreciate some feed back on what you all think. Thanks. If anyone is interested I have pics during the MOD process.;)

561130702_RearStrutShock004.thumb.jpg.081bf599cdfd77cb27086b2c1706921d.jpg

So far I do like it. I just ordered rear control arms from perrin to adjust the camber on the back. I need to stand the rear tires up a bit. The front seems to have settled in at 24 1/4 inches (ctr of fender curve to ground) and the rear At 24 1/2 inches. Both dimensions have settled about a 1/2" since i put it on the ground.(approx 175 miles)

You guys should be measuring from the centre of the wheel to the guard for spring height comparisons. Measuring to the ground is effected by wheel and tyre size, and even how much tyre pressure you run and how much tread you have

You guys should be measuring from the centre of the wheel to the guard for spring height comparisons. Measuring to the ground is effected by wheel and tyre size, and even how much tyre pressure you run and how much tread you have

That is technically true. However, all of my measurements (as stated) were on RE92's and all were within 2K miles of tire wear, so they're spot on for how much drop to expect. (although your exact arch-ground measurement will be different depending on rim/tire choice, the drop distance will be the same regardless) . . . I can't speak for how others came up with their measurements.

OK, one negative I just discovered about lowering... I can no longer get my foot in on top of the rear wheel to wash my roof! :lol: :lol: ;)

Solution: hire yourself a long-legged lady to wash the car.

See, I got ya covered. :D

Hey Folks,

Tire Rack is having a sale on Eibachs. See below

Holiday Rebate Offer

Offer valid on any new Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set or Sportline Spring Set purchased from in-stock inventory between November 16, 2009 and December 31, 2009. Read all offer details here.

Unfortunately not for the legacy though. They have been discontinued and are not available anymore. It looks like the impreza folks can still get them.

OK - since the Eibach option is gone...what options do '05 wagon owners have who want to tighten things up but retain at least most of the original ride hieght? Anyone? Bueller?

Depends on your struts/top hats. If you are keeping your original KYB struts or using Koni inserts with the stock KYB style top hats, Ralliteks are probably your best bet. If you're going to go with Bilsteins and Bilstein-style, i.e., Spec B, top hats, go with pinks, Wangan, or JDM LGT wagon springs.

Also - want to be really clear.....I want as little drop as possible, just some tightening up.

You could even try your stock springs with the Konis if you don't want any drop. The Ralliteks should be fairly similar to the Eibachs, as I believe Eibach made them for Rallitek for use on the stock KYB-style top hats.

I don't think there are any springs other than Pinks (.5") that don't drop close to an inch at least. Some coilovers will let you get close to stock. The car will look better with at least the front dropped a bit.

Pinks are rated at 15 mm (.6") drop with Bilsteins, but the drop in front will be closer to 1" w/ the stock struts and likely with Konis due to the use of KYB style tophats.