LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

I'm not sure if the Pinks drop is measured on spec b Bils or the GT's stock KYB's.

The 15 mm (.6") drop advertised for pinks is definitely for Bilsteins and not the stock KYBs. I ended up with roughly a 3/4" drop w/ pinks on Bilstein HDs in front. (I'm running JDM LGT wagon springs on Bilstein HDs in back.) From what I've read on LGT.com, people who've tried pinks on the stock KYB struts have gotten roughly a 1" drop.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have the spec B/bilstein set up, you should be fine on HR springs. Its too low for stock LGT struts.

anyone have pic please?

actually i'm not mainly looking for lower-look. i 'd driven my miata (na8c) for 10+yrs, love its stock setting! i just did some upgrade - fm swaybar plus its lsd and that's all.

mark

Edited by markc0220k

yeah bils are hd. I dont have any pics. If you want to keep close to stock look I would go with eibach or Rallitek. they seem to have the least drop.

Im not sure which shocks the eibachs were measured on, im guessing LGT though. Ive looked at getting Tein's but had more than one distributor I was prepared to order through steer me away because of quality.

nice set up...i just cant get myself to buy springs and shocks when for the same money i can get coilovers.

Granted, I did just springs (eibachs) for now, but as the stock struts wear, Im putting on some coilovers....just couldnt swing it with everything else going on right now.

^^ Yeah the RCE Tarmac 1s are tempting, particulary when they have them on sale. Too much going on for me right now, though. Still leaning toward the Eibachs, though my car's got 96K miles on it or so, and being the second owner, swapping in at least new(er) OEM struts would be wise.

I have been wrestling with this same decision for a while, even before I purchased the Eibach's. Now that I've had the Eibach's on the stock LGT struts for the summer, I realized how much I like the springs and how lacking the stock struts really are vs other options that are out there. I think that for the area that I live in, and the style of driving that I do, that the Bilstein HD setup from Fred Beans will be the way to go for me when the stock struts wear out.

Sidenote, how many miles do the stock struts typically last, 60K, 80K?

Being from NH myself, your opinion seems to conflict a bit with bosco's, regarding the ride quality of the HDs, versus the stockers. So it'll be interesting to see what you think, once you put the HDs on the car. :)

Just remember the Eibach springs will look higher in the front with Bilsteins as they were designed to be used with the stock KYB struts. A better option would be the Koni struts.

Cheers!

^ what he said. if i did it over again i would use the Koni's or similar because they use USDM top hats. the Bilstein HD's use the JDM top hats which raise the car appox. 1/2" if you must use Bilsteins then get the factory set.

btw i like Bilsteins i have them on my Corvette, carry on.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Just remember the Eibach springs will look higher in the front with Bilsteins as they were designed to be used with the stock KYB struts. A better option would be the Koni struts.

Cheers!

+1 , my exact sentiments.

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize that the ride height would differ with the HD's. That changes things for me as I really like the ride height and look of the stock LGT struts with the Eibach's.

I read a little more into the Koni option yesterday, they seem to have universal appeal with the owners on here which is definitely a good thing. How difficult is the install for the inserts in the front?

If anyone needs some stock fronts to cut open for the Koni's I have an extra set. I bought some to do mine then bought Underdogs Koni's which were already built. Installed them with the Rallitek springs and I am pretty happy so far. Ride height is nice and the car does not wallow any more in the turns.

Im entertaining the idea of springs (currently with my stockey struts...eventually prolly getting koni replacements/inserts). I am looking for an aggressive setup on a budget and therfore new coilovers unfortunately arent an option for me at this point. I dont want a crappy ride, but my 22 yr old kidneys arent begging for a camry ride, i could use a fun aggressive setup (and mabye like an inch drop)

Because of this i was leaning towards swifts (preferrably at this point) or tien S (although ive seen complaints about the tien S & i dont think the tien H will be enough of a drop for me.) i havent given much thought to ebiachs and cobbs seem to be mediocre to me. performance is more important to me than stance) i came across a good deal on raliteks, but didnt know how tame/aggressive they were compared to swifts or tien S. any input? remember stock struts at this point in time for me....and id prefer no shims. what do you guys reccomend?

^^ what are you looking to get for your front stocker struts... this could be a good opportunity for me to get a set to cut for konis.

I put Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks. I think that combination comes out neutral, but handles much better. Did not switch the rears although I have the springs. The rear is already about 1" lower that the front. I am also trying to preserve ground clearance with all the snow we get in the Sierras.

Guess we're not talking about Koni Sport struts - the last two posts answered my question. :D

Umm, yes, we're talking about Koni Sport struts. They're the only Koni struts available for the '05 - '09 Legacy. ;)

What part confused you?

Ahhhh, I think I know. It was the picture of the Koni's on the tirerack website (that you linked) that showed the bright yellow fixed perch strut. Read the fine print. You will find there that they are indeed the "cut a strut" insert system for the front struts in which you will use the stock/OEM front KYB strut and "gut" it to use to house the Koni insert.

The rear is a direct replacement for the rear struts.

I haven't heard of anyone trying the KYB's you linked.

Edit: I stand corrected... http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119756

Cheers!

Edited by goneskiian