lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm stuck between the Cobb springs and the Eibach springs. The Eibach's are getting great reviews but I'm not sure if the drop is enough for what I'm looking for. The Cobbs are close to what I want but they ride harsh and every one hear knows PA roads suck. Since RipJeep and CptHook have both springs I'm looking at. To many choices :(

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Yea I saw Rips car the other day and loved how it looked. Only wish Captain didn't wreck his car so I could see them side by side. I think I'll dwell on it for a little bit longer and order something.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

So I'm stuck between the Cobb springs and the Eibach springs. The Eibach's are getting great reviews but I'm not sure if the drop is enough for what I'm looking for. The Cobbs are close to what I want but they ride harsh and every one hear knows PA roads suck. Since RipJeep and CptHook have both springs I'm looking at. To many choices :(

RipJeep's ride height and my own are very similar. The back is most likely identical, I think his front end is a little higher than mine though. Mine sits pretty much flat, his looked slightly raked. You outta ask him to measure from ground to the bottom of his wheel well arches front+rear to get an exact comparison. After 2000 miles on Cobb springs my final drop was: Front:1 1/2" Rear:5/8". More numbers:

Bottom of wheel well arch to shop floor:

Front stock: 26.5"

Rear stock: 25.75"

Front Cobb unsettled right after coming off lift: 25 3/8"

Rear Cobb unsettled right after coming off lift: 25 5/8" (yes, the rear was actually higher than the front)

Front Cobb settled in after 2000 miles: 25"

Rear Cobb settled in after 2000 miles: 25 1/8"

Edited by captainhook

Well put captain.........my Eibach's are supposed to lower around 1" all around. Ride is superb, stiffer yet bearable on our PA roads. Less body roll in the corners. Been on my Eibach's for 1500 miles....I just measured for you Windy Road and mine reads.....

Front stock: 26.5"

Rear Stock: 25.75"

Front Eibach settled:25 and 7/16"

Rear Eibach settled: 25 and 1/8"

So as you can see, the Eibach's lowered my front by an inch, and my rear by 5/8". My front does sit higher than captain, meaning mine is just a weeeee bit raked, but unnoticeable to the normal eye. I love my ride height, it is perfect for me.

Now I just need that set of 18 inch rims and tire combo that won't scrub and can handle the PA roads....Can someone say tarmac 3's or O. Z. Ultraleggera in bright silver? possible 18x8 with a +48 offset running 225/40/18 or 255/35/18...Wanna keep it daily driveable, without rubbing issues and without having to roll any fenders

Hrm thanks for the measurements guys. I'll have to go out side and see what it could look like. Probably going to order either ones tonight from Fredbeans.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

So as you can see, the Eibach's lowered my front by an inch, and my rear by 5/8". My front does sit higher than captain, meaning mine is just a weeeee bit raked, but unnoticeable to the normal eye. I love my ride height, it is perfect for me.

That's true, I have an architect's eye for things being level. ;)

Bought the Eibach's from Fredbeans, figured I'd give them a shot. The reviews are great on them, plus I don't want to have to harsh of a ride (cobb) since I still have to give my parents rides every once in a while in my car. Now I just need to figure out when i can get them installed. Maybe one night at my friends work after hours for cheap.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Cobbs do give a nice drop, but with PA and NJ winters, we did not want to loose our front bumper...

Haha, I don't think anyone on Cobb's will have to worry about that more than someone on Eibach's. It's only a 1/2" difference. The 1/2" will make it a lot easier to scrap parking blocks though, I've come mighty close a few times.

Haha, I don't think anyone on Cobb's will have to worry about that more than someone on Eibach's. It's only a 1/2" difference. The 1/2" will make it a lot easier to scrap parking blocks though, I've come mighty close a few times.

if you don't think a 1/2" is much put it on the end of your nose then tell me it isn't much. :lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Is the spring perch on the Eibachs smaller than on the stock GT springs? The reason I ask is I wanted to get a set of specB rims for my GT but apparently I would have to stick with the stock 215/45 tire size since 225/45's would rub on my stock spring perch. Does anyone know if I could fit 225/45's on specB rims with the Eibach-spring/stock-strut combo? I know that I can fit wider tires if I decrease the tire profile but I am actually interested in increasing the tire profile a tiny bit.

Thanks,

Hanslo

You wont have a problem , I run 225/45/18 on the first generation Spec B rim without any problems. Currently dropped on ION springs. I did have a minor rubbing issue with the fender after the stock struts wore out when I had the lowly Swift springs (over 2" drop) but only on steep inclines and the wagon loaded. Never had any rubbing with the bottom spring perch Edited by peteyjr
spelling issue

if you don't think a 1/2" is much put it on the end of your nose then tell me it isn't much. :lol:

I said 1/2" won't make a big difference in the winter/snow, and that's the truth. (at least here) Ride quality, now that's another story . . .

Originally Posted by Peteyjr

You wont have a problem , I run 225/45/18 on the first generation Spec B rim without any problems. Currently dropped on ION springs. I did have a minor rubbing issue with the fender after the stock struts wore out when I had the lowly Swift springs (over 2" drop) but only on steep inclines and the wagon loaded. Never had any rubbing with the bottom spring perch

Did you run the 225/45 on specB rims with your stock suspension or only with your Swift and/or Ion aftermarket springs? Are you saying that I should be ok with the Eibachs or are you saying that I should be ok with 225/45/18 on my stock suspension? I know the specB owners often upsize but I thought that was because they had different springs.

Thanks,

Hanslo

Edited by Hanslo

Let me clarify, I ran the 225/45/18 with both my suspension setups. First with stock struts and Swift springs then with ION springs and Koni dampers. You should be fine with that tire size with both stock suspension and lowered as well .

Did you run the 225/45 on specB rims with your stock suspension or only with your Swift and/or Ion aftermarket springs? Are you saying that I should be ok with the Eibachs or are you saying that I should be ok with 225/45/18 on my stock suspension? I know the specB owners often upsize but I thought that was because they had different springs.

Thanks,

Hanslo

Yeah, it's actually a pretty sizable drop! The STi V5/6 springs I had on ye olde '00 RS dropped about that in the front, maybe a little more, and it had to be an inch or so in the rear. I couldn't even fit my fingers in the fender gap in the rear. Never liked it. The front looked pretty good, though.

I've never liked the saggy-butt springs anyway. Seems like these Eibachs are a bit better with that, yeah?

Yeah, it's actually a pretty sizable drop! The STi V5/6 springs I had on ye olde '00 RS dropped about that in the front, maybe a little more, and it had to be an inch or so in the rear. I couldn't even fit my fingers in the fender gap in the rear. Never liked it. The front looked pretty good, though.

I've never liked the saggy-butt springs anyway. Seems like these Eibachs are a bit better with that, yeah?

You're taking the 1/2" comment out of context, it wasn't regarding appearance or ride quality, only whether it would make a difference in the snow.

As for the saggy butt, the Eibach's do suffer from a little of that. I noticed it right away looking at it, but I have a pretty critical eye.

I see your post #168 about that now, my bad. I think it'll (obviously) make a bit of difference, but not too bad. I ran Nokian Hakkas on the old RS with its drop, when I lived in NH, which gets a hell of a lot more snow than southcentral PA could even dream of. Never had any issues. In fact the only time I DID have a problem, was when I was here, actually, and we had a moderate snowstorm that got immediately followed by ice.

So, trying to get in and out of parking lots was a challenge, but in that case, the extra 1" of travel wouldn't have even helped.

Most of the pics I've seen of the Eibachs don't look too bad with the rear sag, but I've not seen one in person yet. It's a fair shade better than most springs, though, for certain!