LegacyGT.com

$340 XO2 Racing FMIC install pictures(56k beware)

itsme

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power is just the byproduct of what I'm looking for atm ;) The VF39 I have only has 18k miles on it and no wastegate crack. My stock TMIC end tanks have been blown off and JB Welded AND had to secure it even more with some wormgear clamp things and its still leaking I think :\

I dont like loosing fogs, but at the ease and cost of this install, its a better way to go than having my car down for 2-3 days doing an IM swap. So... Just waiting for someone to buy the STi TMIC and IM from me so I can buy this and call it a day.

Would an STi bov work for this, or do I need to get an aftermarket like AVO/GFB/etc?

Also, the black lines that are attached to the STi TMIC are not needed for a VF39 correct? Assuming the swap from a VF40 to a VF39 is a straight swap?

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

If the fogs are a concern, you may be able to flip the core and have some custom pipes made to go over the fogs..I don't think it will be that hard to do. Once the front bumper of off, there is plenty of room to work. It will still be less work than the STI swap. :)

You could run any BOV (even stock), you just need to have the right flange for it. The kit does not have a flange, you will need to buy one seperately that will work with your BOV.

Not sure about the turbo question...

^ well the kit doesnt come with a BOV flange AT ALL... so u would have to get one welded... either sti style or lgt style... u have the option....

Well as long as the STi BOV will work, then its no biggie to me really... I just dont wanna have to shell out $150 for a different bov. Getting a flange welded on there isnt a big deal either. I know ppl who weld, and there is a muffler shop like 2 min from my house.

If the fogs are a concern, you may be able to flip the core and have some custom pipes made to go over the fogs..I don't think it will be that hard to do. Once the front bumper of off, there is plenty of room to work. It will still be less work than the STI swap. :)

You'd then lose the bumper beam and foam which is a perk of this kit

I was looking at some generic eBay fmic kits and there might be some fmic's that will allow the fogs and keep the bumper beam. Plus isn't there a fmic kit that keeps the dogs already? Wbr? I bet one could check out the locations of the inlet/outlet and find a generic intercooler to fit.. Maybe I'll do some research..

Fogs arent a huge deal, just a disadvantage, but a minor one in reality... More cosmetic than anything IMO.

Still wondering about just the turbo swapping out... Straight swap or what hoses would be needed? (other than the turbo inlet hose)

OK, I'm in!

Just ordered this kit, hopefully I understand what I'm getting myself into and can get it to mount straight and not pop off hoses on the dyno!

Got a deal on an APS BOV to go along with it. Gonna miss my GFB unit though...Oh well, they'll be hitting the classifieds soon.

Can anyone tell me what size the couplers are on the core? I want to order some black ones to make it a little more steathly.

Sorry can't remember the coupler size..

Well my BOV and pipe issues resolved, got my new tune. Went to ECS (East Coast Swappers..they KICK A$$ BTW). They had done my original tune and was totally happy, so I went to their new shop (Windsor Locks CT).

My original tune was on a Dynapack Dyno at 280whp and 330wtq...19 psi,

Invidia Catless Up Pipe

Invidia Down Pipe

Borla Cat Back

Hallman Pro RX Boost Control

Perrin CAI

Ran base line pull on ECS' brand new Mustang Dyno and put down 250/300..so the Mustang was 30 less both hp and tq.

After tune..with the XO FMIC and Perrin full rec BOV put down 270/330 on the Mustang...so I guess if I got back n the Dynapack I'd be at 310/360...hmm...me thinks I like the Dynapack numbers but believe the Mustang :)

I'd post my sheets but they couldn't print because of a wireless software glitch with the printer. The runs are saved and as soon as I get the print out will post it.

Oh yea..have a Spec stage 3+ clutch..stock went away long time ago...:lol:

I want to know if anyone has installed this with the 24x12x3 intercooler....

Some have but it is not worth it 9" is big enough.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

well I can get a 10% off if I use the BIN function.. maybe I can request they don't upgrade me to 12"... I just want to save $30..

BTW anyone can get 10% off on Ebay BIN auctions.. I dunno if anyone knows but if you search for stuff (I used "Cheap Ipod" on www.live.com you can select the "Live Search Cashback" link in the yellow box and that directs you to Ebay where you can then search for "Legacy GT Intercooler" and if you BIN and use Paypal you will get 10% back in your paypal within 60 days...

Even with the 9 a good portion of the intercooler isn't exposed.... meaning there's little to no air passing through that way so I don't think the 12 would be worth it.... that's just more air that has to be pushed but not even getting cooled... unless the 12 sits as high as the grill then I guess you'll be getting air flow through that...

nm found it... looks like a pain.. er more of a pain.. I went with a 24"x9"x3" core.. ebay.. not bad at $309... cheaper than the Group Buy we had earlier...

$309 shipped? Cheapest I've found so far was $289.99 + 50 shipping, where'd you find that?

well I can get a 10% off if I use the BIN function.. maybe I can request they don't upgrade me to 12"... I just want to save $30..

BTW anyone can get 10% off on Ebay BIN auctions.. I dunno if anyone knows but if you search for stuff (I used "Cheap Ipod" on www.live.com you can select the "Live Search Cashback" link in the yellow box and that directs you to Ebay where you can then search for "Legacy GT Intercooler" and if you BIN and use Paypal you will get 10% back in your paypal within 60 days...

This^

so after reading this whole thread.. how can I use my stock BOV with this kit? any ideas?

btw I'll say the same thing I said to Hogmeat to you guys who got this cheap FMIC rolling and whatnot... if I had a sister I would let you date her..(my hypothetical sister is a slut btw..) so good job gents! I look forward to tackling this when I get the pipes in!

Archived